Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Y61 automatic transmission not engaging in Drive

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Y61 automatic transmission not engaging in Drive

I have a automatic transition that in the morning it will not engage in Drive
    I need to take off in second and then engage Drive

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    have you checked the trans fluid level and condition?
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,235 Times in 992 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum mate.
    In the words of a Dhuck "QUACK".

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Axemano View Post
    I have a automatic transition that in the morning it will not engage in Drive
    I need to take off in second and then engage Drive
    Welcome to my world, You are not alone. this happen to me 3 years ago with my 97 Gu 4.5 Ti . Went to Wholesale Automatics thinking if I replace the valve body with one of there's heavy duty one it will be fixed. but no it didn't. I'm so use to it now , I always start the car up, take of in second, get down the road then put it in drive and good all day. So if any else who know's what happening to our auto on first start, please let Axemano and myself what the fix is . cheers Alex
    97 GU Ti 4.5 on lpg , uhf icom Pro400, Garmin GPS Maps, HD-Lukas Dash Cam with gps tracking. Snorkel , I-Max 12000lb Winch , Twin rear light bracket on wheel carrier for light & uhf antenna,Draws unit, Electric Cargo barrier, HID headlights kit, LED Light Bar, 2 inch lift with HD King springs and Monroe Gas Magnum TDT 4WD Shock Absorbers, BS Dueler 697 Lt 285/75R-16 .

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4bye4 View Post
    have you checked the trans fluid level and condition?
    It's not fuild problem, as I had my Valve body replace at Wholesale Automatics with one of there heavy duty one's and now I have full Synthetic now, still have this problem only happen's when I first startup. regards Alex
    Last edited by altech; 1st May 2019 at 11:17 AM.
    97 GU Ti 4.5 on lpg , uhf icom Pro400, Garmin GPS Maps, HD-Lukas Dash Cam with gps tracking. Snorkel , I-Max 12000lb Winch , Twin rear light bracket on wheel carrier for light & uhf antenna,Draws unit, Electric Cargo barrier, HID headlights kit, LED Light Bar, 2 inch lift with HD King springs and Monroe Gas Magnum TDT 4WD Shock Absorbers, BS Dueler 697 Lt 285/75R-16 .

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's not fuild problem, as I had my Valve body replace
    Ok I was using the logic that its either fluid, mechanical or electrical. Fluid seemed the easiest to check. Mechanical usually results in some noise or stiffness in operation, so possibly electrical?? Mine does not go into overdrive or whatever that top lazy gear is called, until the box gets to a certain temperature. This is controlled by the gearbox management board which in mine is located in the passenger firewall. Don't know if this can be altered or read with a scan tool to check.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok I was using the logic that its either fluid, mechanical or electrical. Fluid seemed the easiest to check. Mechanical usually results in some noise or stiffness in operation, so possibly electrical?? Mine does not go into overdrive or whatever that top lazy gear is called, until the box gets to a certain temperature. This is controlled by the gearbox management board which in mine is located in the passenger firewall. Don't know if this can be altered or read with a scan tool to check.
    I think your has to be Electrical, maybe the switch or loose wire connection somewhere regards Alex

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine does not go into overdrive or whatever that top lazy gear is called, until the box gets to a certain temperature.
    Does the OD OFF light on the dash come On and OFF when you push the button on the gear selector?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsGU View Post
    Does the OD OFF light on the dash come On and OFF when you push the button on the gear selector?
    Yes mate. Actually I think it’s meant to be like that. I might have mislead everyone there. I was trying to guess why the op cannot get drive until his trans warms up. Mine not selecting the od until warm is I think what is supposed to happen and there is a temp sensing of some sort

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I have not been on the forum I don't have much time during the week
    Good to see that there is someone else out there with the same problem and the fact that you have Drive for so long it puts me to rest that I might not be breaking down just yet
    Have decided to change trans fluid filter and trans fluid today as a step one provision also take hey visual inspection of internal wiring
    Everyone I have spoken to this week leads towards low fluid levels or fluid quality but I have my doubts thinking more Electrical as there is nothing in this car that isn't Electrical and communicates buy computer
    So I think the next step after today maybe some type of scan tool that works on this model tesY61 2005 or start paying someone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast