User Tag List

Thread: MAF Cleaner.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MAF Cleaner.

Has anyone used CRC or WD40 Contact Cleaner to clean their MAF? I've seen elsewhere that people have used it with good results but I was wondering if any Patrol owner has used it....
    GROOVY GUVII

2" Toughdog Lift, Ctek D250S, 152AH AGM Battery, Homemade Battery Box, Duel Rear Cameras, GME TX3510W UHF, Alloy Roof Rack, Kings 2.5m Awning, Titan Drawers.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is the one I used mate. CRC brand. Used it all the time on my 2009 CRD. Never had dramas. First time I ever used it a fair bit of darker oil, grime or whatever it is, came off the sensor... I then cleaned it everytime I serviced the car, every 5k.

2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I use what @Hodge said but only a couple of times a year. A can lasts forever, I don't think I would be trying other stuff.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CRC/WD40 is to harsh and leaves a film on the MAF.. use the proper CRC MAF cleaner above.
    2003 GU SIII Auto Grenade. All the goodies.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Softy For This Useful Post:

mudski (6th January 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Softy View Post
    CRC/WD40 is to harsh and leaves a film on the MAF.. use the proper CRC MAF cleaner above.
    Pretty much this, should never use anything which leaves residue on the sensor. Maf cleaner is the only way to go.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. I would not use anything elase other than the dedicated MAF cleaner. Also read somehwhere, no matter how dirty or oily it looks, dont touch the insides with anything (including cotton budds or rags) for fear of dammaging the sensor. I just spray the crap out of mine, let it dry (dries very quickly) and then repeat the process about 4 times. Then let it dry and put it back in. (Hope this is how I am suppose to do it). I was also advised to disconnect the battery at the same time for 5-10 minutes so that the computer resets and the computer then re-starts its learning process again while gatthering data from all the sensors.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Correct like Tony said. NEVER physically touch the sensor part of the MAF. Let the cleaner do the work. Also the MAF cleaner evaporates fairly quickly too. Within minutes it generally just dissipates off the MAF. But even despite this always make sure MAF is dry before re-fitting it. 2
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the responses. The WD40 3 in 1 contact cleaner doesn't leave any residue and works extremely well as a contact cleaner. Having said that, I bought a can of CRC MAF cleaner....
    GROOVY GUVII

2" Toughdog Lift, Ctek D250S, 152AH AGM Battery, Homemade Battery Box, Duel Rear Cameras, GME TX3510W UHF, Alloy Roof Rack, Kings 2.5m Awning, Titan Drawers.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MAF cleaner is basically electrical contact cleaner
    I still have cans of Dick Smith contact cleaner, and been using them to clean MAF sensors for years
    Jaycar sell contact cleaner - from memory about 1/3 the price of the branded MAF cleaner at supercrap
    Current - 2011 GUVII 3.0 CRD
    Previous - 2004 GUIV 3.0DI "The Grenade" Literally ...
    100 LC V8, 150 D4 Prado, 200 Series V8D .... and a Discovery D2V8 in between ... what was i thinking?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jack180 For This Useful Post:

Irish (10th January 2017)