Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SCA Inverters

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SCA Inverters

I am about to pull the trigger on a Pure Sine Wave Inverter.
    Does anyone have any experience with the SCA models?
    I don't know a watt from a volt but need to charge camera and laptop while on extended trips.
    As I lay there looking up, taking in the spectacular view that was the night sky and the multitude of stars I asked myself, where did my tent go?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont know anything about brand, however your demand load is going to be low, so I would have thought the only issue is reliability? I run a 3500w/7000w pure sine wave unit, unsure of brand but chinese I suspect and it runs a coffee machine and power tools without effort, so maybe not the need to head 'high end' for this application. @Cuppa is probably a good start as he has a reliability requirement with his use I believe.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Cradoka (16th January 2019), Mc4by (16th January 2019)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,320 Times in 754 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was on a trip and the first time I went to use our inverter it was a complete flop, I suspect even though it was rated at 300W and I only needed low 200s, it wasn't up to it.

I dropped into the local Autopro where I was and got an 800W Aerpro inverter. Used it every day through the Simspon charging a small battery & it worked perfectly.

The only suggestion I'd make is work out how much power you're going to consume then buy an inverter rated at twice your requirement.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 10G For This Useful Post:

Mc4by (16th January 2019), PeeBee (16th January 2019)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post
    I was on a trip and the first time I went to use our inverter it was a complete flop, I suspect even though it was rated at 300W and I only needed low 200s, it wasn't up to it.

I dropped into the local Autopro where I was and got an 800W Aerpro inverter. Used it every day through the Simspon charging a small battery & it worked perfectly.

The only suggestion I'd make is work out how much power you're going to consume then buy an inverter rated at twice your requirement.
    A few of the inverter suppliers have lists that correspond to load V inverter size, no doubt on the net generally also

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good advice PeeBee and 10G.
    I will seek out the draw information and work from there.
    The laptop is approximately 60 watt but no idea on the camera batteries.
    SCA do some good stuff but I am thinking for an inverter I will go up a level.
    As I lay there looking up, taking in the spectacular view that was the night sky and the multitude of stars I asked myself, where did my tent go?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be careful, buying the wrong inverter could cost you big time. The property where we are caretaking has a big solar/battery/inverter set up. As far as we can tell the inverter is a Pure sine wave, or at least was. Plug my laptop or ipad in to charge it & the power brick emits a quiet buzzing, which it doesnt when plugged into the inverter in our car. It also gets hotter than normal, & the laptop if used whilst plugged in ran a fair bit hotter than usual. Then it died. Macbook Pro's are not cheap items & the fried main logic board (motherboard) was going to cost as much as a 5 year old laptop was worth. Ended up getting a new one. My belief is that the Pure sine wave inverter has somehow failed & is no longer putting out a pure sine wave, but something 'dirtier' with greater harmonic distortion - much like using a modified square wave inverter. Not good with sensitive switch mode electronics as in computers & computer chargers. Buzzing & running hot is the classic symptom.

I have no knowledge of the quality of SCA inverters. I have always bought Pure sine wave inverters, but have had some premature failures with cheapies, one failed the first time I used it, cutting in & out every 30 seconds as it heated up, it needed an internal cooling fan & didn't have one. We were on the road at the time & relying on being able to use it. Royal PIA!. Threw it in a bin & bought a replacement in Mt Isa.

We now have two inverters, one in the Patrol & one in the Tvan. Both are Victron Phoenix,a 350w & a 180w. I thoroughly recommend them. They are high quality, able to exceed their stated output without breaking a sweat (I ran a 500w load on my 350w inverter for an hour to test it) , weigh twice as much as other inverters of the same output (extra weight is generally not good, but with inverters is generally a sign of better quality) & are surprisingly well priced. If just charging camera & laptop a 180w one would be fine, I have the 350w one to also run a Makita 18v battery fast charger. The 180w doesn't have a fan & doesn't need one.

This is the one I have https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Victron-...62I:rk:24:pf:0

However this one (200w) is on sale at a pretty amazing price. Allows use with a phone app too. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VICTRON-...NWV:rk:13:pf:0 Not sure whether it has similar construction to my ones, but imagine it would. Victron have a good name.

If it's reliability you want at a good price I reckon it's just about impossible to go past the Victron Phoenix range! I think it almost certain that anything SCA are selling under their own brand would be way down the scale in comparison quality wise.

EDIT: Oh & the Victron's come with a 5 year warranty too.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 16th January 2019 at 06:14 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Mc4by (17th January 2019), PeeBee (16th January 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Cuppa
    I really appreciate the effort you put in to your reply.
    Based on your comprehensive response I am looking into Victron now.
    Pure sine wave is something I have heard about being better for laptops.
    I don't think I need more than 200 watts for my needs as I have USB and Cigarette sockets already running.
    Last edited by Mc4by; 17th January 2019 at 01:05 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 294 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have been running a laptop in the workshop powered by an inverter for a couple of years now. I`m using a 200w ebay cheapy. Also have a power meter hooked up to the 12v battery I run the inverter off. Average is around 60 watts depending on what the laptop is doing. Maximum watts the laptop pulls is around 75 - 80 watts when recharging the laptop battery.
    "Yet, upon the whole, the space I traversed is unlikely to become the haunt of civilized man....." - Charles Sturt

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VK2FMIA For This Useful Post:

Mc4by (17th January 2019), PeeBee (17th January 2019)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Steve
    Does your camera charge from USB? An option could be to get a 12 volt powerpack from Jaycar & charge the camera from the laptop.

Cheers

Bri

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brisey View Post
    Hey Steve
    Does your camera charge from USB? An option could be to get a 12 volt powerpack from Jaycar & charge the camera from the laptop.

Cheers

Bri
    Brisey, my laptop (surface) doesn't have a 12 volt option yet that is supported on warranty by microsoft.
    So it looks like the inverter may be the only way out for now.
    Last edited by Mc4by; 17th January 2019 at 09:56 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast