Thread: EGR Block on CRD Patrol

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EGR Block on CRD Patrol

Hi everyone. I've now got my blanking plate and scangaugeII and am ready to give this a crack.

I read somewhere it's best to fully remove intercooler to get better access to the egr valve. I will try giving intercooler a good clean once off.

Is there anything else for me to consider with doing this?

I read the CRD ECU readjusts itself afterwards and controls turbo boost (whereas the DI patrol can have over boosting issues and need manual control)

Any other tips or links would be greatly appreciated. Is there a video of the whole process done on a CRD patrol?

I'm a bit of a noob with mechanics but like anything, willing to give things a try myself first.

Cheers,

Aaron.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,264 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You shouldn't need to remove the IC but if it makes life easier then do it. Plus you can give the IC a good clean as you have said. Its not a hard job, just a bit tricky because of where its located. You will more than likely find the motor may overboost and the engine light may come on too, because the ECU will think the EGR valve is broken. As you have a scangauge you can just clear the fault codes and be on your merry way.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks mudski. I bought the blanking plate that has slots rather than holes to make it easier to slide in. I bought the scangauge mainly for the reason to clear the error code as i didnt really want a 10mm hole in plate as some suggest.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey azza just a heads up after you blank it my boost levels spiked really bad and it gave me horrible fuel consumption on my 2014 CRD, the 401 code only comes up once every few months if you leave it idling for to long, it was a one longneck job installing it with taking off the intercooler

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't get why overboost can be an issue after fitting the plate. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThefattymattymkII View Post
    Hey azza just a heads up after you blank it my boost levels spiked really bad and it gave me horrible fuel consumption on my 2014 CRD, the 401 code only comes up once every few months if you leave it idling for to long, it was a one longneck job installing it with taking off the intercooler
    Hi matty. That's interesting. My fuel consumption is bad enough as it is. I thought blocking the egr might improve that somewhat. Did you adjust your turbo or remove the plate altogether?

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @matty: I've been reading a fair bit on overboosting issues after installing plate on CRD. Did you clean your MAF sensor and reset ECU when doing the block?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimpy View Post
    I don't get why overboost can be an issue after fitting the plate. Anyone care to enlighten me?
    Because the ECU is still controlling the VNT vane angle as if the EGR was working.
    This can give you momentary boost spikes while the ECU backs off the vane angle to reduce the pressures.

If it happens and the severity varies due to exhaust size and other mods, you can either fit a manual boost controller or adjust the VNT actuator (I did the latter).

If the VNT overboosts for too long (rare) you get limp mode from the ECU
    If the ECU suss's out that something isn't kosher at idle or start when the EGR is supposed to be wide open you get P0401 code from the ECU
    P0401 won't give limp mode but will stay in the fault stack and show up on an OBD11 reader or Nissan Consult.
    In my '07 it would also illuminate the CEL every time but some people say they get P0401 and no CEL.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (9th October 2016)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @the evil twin : Did you experience worse fuel economy after block?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by azzacalabaza View Post
    @the evil twin : Did you experience worse fuel economy after block?
    When I did the EGR block it was the sole mod I did at the time and I saw no hugely noticeable change in fuel economy.
    If it did change at all it was for the better not worse but not by very much.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (9th October 2016)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast