Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Does 2T have a placebo effect?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I think its best to use T2 with a fresh tank of diesel just before a long trip.
    Using all your fuel in one hit, I do this with "injector cleaner", Old timers
    have been using different things over the years eg ;;like a cup of metho
    in the petrol tank, ATF sounds fine imo
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two stroke oil is ashless, so it does not form solid particulate matter when burnt.
    As an example Dex2 is vegetable oil (jojoba) based which may or may not leave gum when burnt.
    Graham

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 294 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeeYou8 View Post
    Two stroke oil is ashless, so it does not form solid particulate matter when burnt.
    Have been following this discussion for a while & have done a bit of research. Found an interesting article from a fuel testing company about adding 2 stroke oil to diesel.

From the article

"The results of the study support a view that the practice of dosing diesel with 2-stroke oil is surprisingly ineffective in terms of lubricity and cetane improvements. Engine performance, fuel consumption and emissions were also unchanged; however the use of 2-stroke oil in diesel is potentially harmful to modern diesel injection equipment. Trace amounts of zinc, an element which is found in most 2-stroke oils, are well known to cause injector nozzle fouling and the study measured high levels of injector fouling when the test engine was running on diesel dosed with 2-stroke oil."

The full articale can be found here http://www.fuelexpert.co.za/2-stroke...ical-study.php

Wonder how many "Grenade" issues might have been caused by engines using 2 stroke running lean & burning holes in pistons due to injector fouling?
    "Yet, upon the whole, the space I traversed is unlikely to become the haunt of civilized man....." - Charles Sturt

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VK2FMIA View Post
    Have been following this discussion for a while & have done a bit of research. Found an interesting article from a fuel testing company about adding 2 stroke oil to diesel.

From the article

"The results of the study support a view that the practice of dosing diesel with 2-stroke oil is surprisingly ineffective in terms of lubricity and cetane improvements. Engine performance, fuel consumption and emissions were also unchanged; however the use of 2-stroke oil in diesel is potentially harmful to modern diesel injection equipment. Trace amounts of zinc, an element which is found in most 2-stroke oils, are well known to cause injector nozzle fouling and the study measured high levels of injector fouling when the test engine was running on diesel dosed with 2-stroke oil."

The full articale can be found here http://www.fuelexpert.co.za/2-stroke...ical-study.php
    That would probably depend on the oil used in the test. I have seen this or similar articals before. The thing is though of all the people using 2 stroke in the tank, we dont't hear many complaints of fouled injectors.

Wonder how many "Grenade" issues might have been caused by engines using 2 stroke running lean & burning holes in pistons due to injector fouling?
    Not many I suspect - there are many reports of grenading from those who have never added anything at all to the fuel. I suspect there is no relationship there.

As to the original question, I added 2 stroke for a three month period over different driving conditions, highway, off road and city, and the only thing I noticed was I thought less fuel pump rattle. I recorded the fuel useage without 2stroke for three months, with for three months and am no longer bothering to add it as there was no difference in fuel usage or performance over the period. I think in my own case it was a placebo effect, I expected it to sound better so it did and I think that we sometimes drive a bit differently when we are testing products and maybe change the outcome, but the numbers on the record over three months (just kept an Excel sheet) showed no improvement in fuel usage whatever.
    Last edited by 4bye4; 26th August 2016 at 12:23 PM.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I'll put some in today and see if it makes my engine quieter.
    Its reasonably quiet as it is ,, time will tell eh. lol

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Ok tipped in half a bottle cause I only had half a tank, it took a few bends to shake it around .
    But I have to say on my DI motor with 225k it made the Idle quieter. Very noticeable IMO.
    No idea if Ill get better fuel figures but less noise at idle thats for sure.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VK2FMIA View Post

From the article

I recall reading an article somewhere (wish I could remember where) responding to that South African research. To be honest I don't recall what it said, only that after reading it I was quite happy to continue using 2T in my TD42. Owners of later technology motors are probably wise to be more cautious. After using the 2T for over 10,000kms I put some injector cleaner through the system. The result was no difference which suggested either the injectors were in good clean condition or that injector cleaner doesn't work (another issue which seems to have believers & non believers & on which I have no position having only ever used it on that one occasion). As I have no performance deterioration & the car runs as well as it ever has my view was that the 2T was doing no harm. No idea whether it actually lives up to all the claims, but I am confident, in my case at least, it makes the running engine/fuel pump quieter & I believe a little smoother. (A little less truck-like, & a little more car-like). Having been on trip in Appollofish's later 3 litre ST wagon I would doubt if owners of those vehicles would notice similar results that I've observed in my DX ute. It may be that 3 litre models are quieter & smoother than TD42's but the far superior noise insulation in the ST wagon makes direct comparisons pretty much impossible. At times I've wanted to believe 2T has improved my mileage but now put that down to other factors & wishful thinking. One day I really must try a couple of tank fills without 2T but will wait until I've used the supply of 2T I bought, & at my average mileage that will take some time yet.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 26th August 2016 at 03:04 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,247 Times in 644 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Cuppa whack up link to the Bailey diesel research. I don't possess the skills to do it. It's in your first post on the other 2t thread. May clarify the issue of common rail and di engines?
    I AM NOT STUBBORN.........I prefer the term, Singlemindedly independent !

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Touses View Post
    @Cuppa whack up link to the Bailey diesel research. I don't possess the skills to do it. It's in your first post on the other 2t thread. May clarify the issue of common rail and di engines?

Your wish is my command.

It's only a short article. I'd probably call it 'informed opinion' rather than research.

http://www.baileysdiesel.com/on-high...-rail-engines/

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Touses (27th August 2016)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Been running 2T in my 4.2 for a while now on and off. I can tell you now, the motor runs so much quieter and smoother with the 2T mixed in. This is 100%, no placebo effect here...
    However.
    Cannot comment on economy or power as I have not noticed nor been on the lookout for any improvement in this case.
    After a tank or 2, without 2T the 4.2 returns to it's original heavy diesel "ticka tacka ticka tacka" sound.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast