Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this thermostat ok?

Hey Guys,

I bought a new thermostat for my RB30.
    The thermostat is suppose to start open at 76 celsius.
    I'm replacing the thermostat because the old one is opening too early(around 64 degrees or so) & engine's running temperature(fully warmed up) doesn't go any higher than 70 degrees or so.
    I did the hot water bottle test with a temperature gauge and the new one's opening at around 84 celsius
    instead of 76 degrees.
    I'm wondering whether now I have different kind of problem with this new thermostat 'cos it starts opening bit later than it suppose to?

Thanx
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (152.5 KB, 15 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.JPG (198.2 KB, 15 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.JPG (304.5 KB, 13 views)
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been told by different cooling guys, to only use factory thermostats. I notice a hole in the flange, I had an apprentice drill a hole (old practise from the 70s) in a factory thermostat caused the motor to run cold as there was coolant continually flowing thru. Replaced thermostat solved all issues. This is on a td42.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coger View Post
    I have been told by different cooling guys, to only use factory thermostats. I notice a hole in the flange, I had an apprentice drill a hole (old practise from the 70s) in a factory thermostat caused the motor to run cold as there was coolant continually flowing thru. Replaced thermostat solved all issues. This is on a td42.
    Yeah, I agree. Factory thermostat is always better. I went for an aftermarket one 'cos of budget constraints.
    Drilling holes on a standard thermostat is bad idea, even though we do it sometime to remedy overheating issues.
    It's always better to find out the actual cause of the overheating and fix that.
    For example modifying the thermostat to deal with an overheating issue that is caused by the viscous fan or radiator is a
    bad move IMO.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thermostats from nissan dealer in my experience have been a good price anyway , so why bother with after market if your after a std one.
    IF IT'S NOT A NISSAN.
    THEN IT'S A COMPROMISE

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robo View Post
    Thermostats from nissan dealer in my experience have been a good price anyway , so why bother with after market if your after a std one.
    Budget.

The factory one is about three times the price of the aftermarket one, and in my case, situation isn't that desperate 'cos the old thermostat is running bit "cold", not hot(and I've got two spares like that ) I'm just worried about the fuel economy suffering from "cold" running engine(doesn't go higher than 70-71 degrees celsius). I think the fuel economy and overall performance can benefit bit better from the engine running at around 85 degrees or so.
    I'll fit this aftermarket one anyway. If it overheats, then I will have to go for a factory original one.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dom14 View Post
    Budget.

The factory one is about three times the price of the aftermarket one, and in my case, situation isn't that desperate 'cos the old thermostat is running bit "cold", not hot(and I've got two spares like that ) I'm just worried about the fuel economy suffering from "cold" running engine(doesn't go higher than 70-71 degrees celsius). I think the fuel economy and overall performance can benefit bit better from the engine running at around 85 degrees or so.
    I'll fit this aftermarket one anyway. If it overheats, then I will have to go for a factory original one.
    Cold running replace it & chuck the others also, they are sticking open.
    I hear you, budget we've all been there, but that equates to choke on for longer = more fuel & at todays prices of fuel!

Gee Iv'e never paid more than $42 retail for a "Genuine standard" thermostat.
    4 models MK GQ GU & R32gtr over something like 15 yrs or so.
    Maybe my local dealer noticed more sales if common replacement parts are fairly priced, customers return more often!.
    I usually price gen if after a spares now & then they are competitive and 99% of the time a better product also.
    Used to work spares a long time ago and have a fair handle on prices.
    IF IT'S NOT A NISSAN.
    THEN IT'S A COMPROMISE

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robo View Post
    Cold running replace it & chuck the others also, they are sticking open.
    I hear you, budget we've all been there, but that equates to choke on for longer = more fuel & at todays prices of fuel!

Gee Iv'e never paid more than $42 retail for a "Genuine standard" thermostat.
    4 models MK GQ GU & R32gtr over something like 15 yrs or so.
    Maybe my local dealer noticed more sales if common replacement parts are fairly priced, customers return more often!.
    I usually price gen if after a spares now & then they are competitive and 99% of the time a better product also.
    Used to work spares a long time ago and have a fair handle on prices.
    I paid $45 for the above and genuine ones are way way dearer than that to the point feeling like getting robbed.

The older thermostats aren't sticking open per say, but starts opening at around 64 degrees celsius or so and fully opened by 76-78 degrees or so, so effectively causing the engine coolant to stay bit colder that the desired temperature I reckon. I have no idea what happens once the thermostat is inside the engine though. I may be sticking open once opened inside the engine, but didn't do that on outside tests.

Agree with that thing about going cheap to find out that it's eactually expensive.
    I has happened to me couple of times or so in the past, where I tried to save cash and ended up costing more.
    If the aftermarket one isn't doing it's job, then that's exactly what might happen to me in this case, but
    I still have the choice of returning it and getting a factory genuine one.

Cheers
    Last edited by dom14; 4th December 2016 at 12:52 PM.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dom14 View Post
    I paid $45 for the above and genuine ones are way way dearer than that to the point feeling like getting robbed.

The older thermostats aren't sticking open per say, but starts opening at around 64 degrees celsius or so and fully opened by 76-78 degrees or so, so effectively causing the engine coolant to stay bit colder that the desired temperature I reckon. I have no idea what happens once the thermostat is inside the engine though. I may be sticking open once opened inside the engine, but didn't do that on outside tests.

Agree with that thing about going cheap to find out that it's eactually expensive.
    I has happened to me couple of times or so in the past, where I tried to save cash and ended up costing more.
    If the aftermarket one isn't doing it's job, then that's exactly what might happen to me in this case, but
    I still have the choice of returning it and getting a factory genuine one.

Cheers
    All my nissan's temp gauges with a new thermostat installed needle sits dead center too 1mm below center.
    Sorry bro all I can say the local dealer is simply ripping people off if your being charged over $50 for it.

Here have a look at this mate and genuine to boot.
    http://patrolapart.com.au/product/ni...stat-suit-rb30

$43.57 +freight.
    Your welcome bro
    IF IT'S NOT A NISSAN.
    THEN IT'S A COMPROMISE

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robo For This Useful Post:

dom14 (5th December 2016), MudRunnerTD (5th December 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I Bought the Triton Hiflow Thermostat last week and it cost me $50 over the counter at Bursons with a Gasket. I noticed my factory temp gauge sits just under halfway too.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

dom14 (5th December 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    $19.50aud plus shipping for the above genuine item.....

14. The Following User Says Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

dom14 (5th December 2016)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast