Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: TD rev range opinions.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,323 Times in 4,992 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reading with one eye open again, duties done, FWIW: we ran quite a few stocky TD42T motors in utes back den and found simple upgrades like 3”exhausts & proper dyno tunes scored something like 10% more power & say 10% more efficiency. Careful pretty please turning ‘Dark Arts’ screws without guidance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

DeanPatrol (6th August 2023)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Reading with one eye open again, duties done, FWIW: we ran quite a few stocky TD42T motors in utes back den and found simple upgrades like 3”exhausts & proper dyno tunes scored something like 10% more power & say 10% more efficiency. Careful pretty please turning ‘Dark Arts’ screws without guidance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks MB.
    I religously subscribe to mechanical balance. im confident these run issue worry free outta the Nissan factory. So this screw tampering is beyond me as itll disturb this balance.
    Leave it be to the men in the know. I touch nutting!
    Will carefully choose a set of rolers somewhere and give it a whirl (they will) to see what optimum gains shall be had and proceed to there.
    Gave the car a good happy birthday drive through Melbournes northern mountainous drive yesterday our first off-road outing since moxing to Mextoria. Taloorak is gorgeous reminds me of Coofs harbor somewhat.
    Think a new set of rubber is a must too.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DeanPatrol For This Useful Post:

MB (6th August 2023)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Long time no speak.
    Wifestar and my self just took the rig for a few weeks back home around queens of land and then back to windy carnt of a place mexico Melbournia.

As stated in aboveish posts ive had some gagues fitted to see this rigs pulse and vitals. Ive some educating needed.
    She idles and drives lightly in the 77-82C water temps. With a bit of insentive she will shoot to high 80s... sometimes beyond pending some hills.
    The gas temps are from gauge NOT registering to 450C with ease when pushed forcing me to back off the foot. She can and will turn the oven on harder if i dont back off.

FULL disclosure: I have searched and got a labyrinth of results and varying more than Dan Andrews' bullshit book.

Is this normal-ish for a stock donk?? Boost doesnt go beyond 13.

PS. Wife says ditch the dinosaur, we're in the 21st century and get something recent. why have monitors like a heart surgery on a nearly 20 guns old donk.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanPatrol View Post
    The gas temps are from gauge NOT registering to 450C with ease when pushed forcing me to back off the foot. She can and will turn the oven on harder if i dont back off.

FULL disclosure: I have searched and got a labyrinth of results and varying more than Dan Andrews' bullshit book.

Is this normal-ish for a stock donk?? Boost doesnt go beyond 13.

PS. Wife says ditch the dinosaur, we're in the 21st century and get something recent. why have monitors like a heart surgery on a nearly 20 guns old donk.
    Come The EMP /nuke war you'll be glad you didn't ditch the old donk, and find that you can quite happily drive over all your neighbours' newfangled dead electric things while shovelling coal into the boiler...

I couldn't really comment on turbo temps, maybe @MB ?
    My TD42 pull uphill at ~415 degrees, Probe mounted on collector point at manifold, under heatshield, between 3&4 cyl, basically where maximum turbulence and all cylinders will be counted. If I let her lug up at low revs I can push 620, which is near piston-melting temperatures.
    Turbo EGT temps will depend if pre- or post- and upside-down-sideways mounting, plumbing, and probably a few other things.
    Gauge not registering suggests, mismatched thermocouple/probe type? Faulty electrics? probe wired backwards?

-edit-
    my (digital) gauge reads from 0. idles at 95-110 depending on ambient, thermostat/cooling open, air filter blocked etc.
    Last edited by mihit; 26th August 2023 at 07:37 PM.
    - 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -
    - 1988 LWB 7-seat Safari, TD42 -
    1989 LWB 5-Seat, TD42

Thanks
    Thanked 6,920 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I reckon I'm with the wife ditch the old bugger and get something decent like a Chinese BYD or somethig quality like that, I'll give ya 50 bucks for the GU good deal I reckon. . . When you say doesn't register on guage then keeps going up with a bit of foot what does it climb too. . General rule of thumb for TDs and EGTs is don't go over 500 for sustained periods and Max 600 for very short amount of time ideally don't go ever 550 really. . . Apart from that it all seems pretty normal I think in terms of temps.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345