Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,346 Times in 770 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Car Seat Covers

In my entire life I have never purchased a set of car seat covers.

But the Patrol seats are beginning to tear on the seams, so I need to do something.

I understand that sheeps wool is comfortable but I can also see how it would become filthy when mixed with bulldust and mud etc etc etc.

So I'm open to recommendations and suggestions on anything.

Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,021 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mate, I've never had a set of car seat covers that I found comfortable. It is an absolute PITA fitting them and they make my back and ar*e sweat!

I'd rather get the upholstery steam cleaned now and then than fit covers (dogs or other animalistic people like kids might jumping around be a different story though!).

How old are your seats? Might be worth looking at re-upholstering if they've already done you many years?

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You dont mention the vintage.

Over here it's not uncommon (nor illegal) to swap out seats from other vehicles. Apparently ford falcon, and subaru imprezza/legacy seats bolt straight in. And "racing buckets" can just be hosed off...

In terms of seat covers - if you can find someone to weave you one of the wooden-bead ones that fits good (chinese ones a-la supercrap auto are sofa king shit), they "allow air flow and provide gentle massage" I quite like them.

Or I think "black duck" are australian company? Who provide covers to fit your specific model.
    - 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -
    - 1988 LWB 7-seat Safari, TD42 -
    1989 LWB 5-Seat, TD42

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,346 Times in 770 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input guys. It's a 2013. Yeah dunno what to do, maybe I should speak to an auto upholsterer and get it stitched up??

Thanks
    Thanked 7,021 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. It's a 2013. Yeah dunno what to do, maybe I should speak to an auto upholsterer and get it stitched up??
    Dunno, depends on cost I suppose. Mihit's response reminded me that those wooden bead seat sheets are easy to fit and I found them pretty comfy too years ago. Maybe give that a crack first. They're pretty cheap and seem to be popular with taxi drivers for many a year. From memory took a bit to get used to though. Better IMO than buying synthetic arse crack sweat makers.

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post
    Even with seat covers, the seat issues will only get worse. Probably good idea to repair even if you go for covers.
    I use sheep skin as I like the feel. Not too expensive so just replace them when they get too grubby or damaged. And some covers can be a bit harsh on the seats so may cause more damage.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,738 Times in 2,686 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use the canvas seat covers at the mine and whilst they are essentially indestructible, they absolutely stink after a short period from sweat. This may be different with a personal vehicle but for lugging around sweating wildebeests, I would not recommend canvas. I had a set of custom lambswool covers made for the GQ and they are brilliant. When they get a bit grubby more from stains, they just go in the clothes washing machine and air dry on the line. Never had a problem with shrinkage or refitting. The negative however is if they get wet on the seats they can take a while to dry, however the perspiration smell is not there.