Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Going Solar on the GU wagon

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    DC electrons don't like being pushed through long solid metals (larger strands).
    Actually the individual conductor size has no impact for DC or low frequencies. It only effects the flexibility or ability to withstand movement or vibration.
    It is only with high frequencies where 'skin effect' occurs which make the conductors appear electrically smaller and multiple small strands or better than fewer large ones.
    It is primarily the overall size or cross-sectional area, but also flexibility, that is important here.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Brissieboy For This Useful Post:

altech (20th March 2019)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So basically use some 6mm cable and you will be apples. Make sure you use fuses too

Proud BTrol Owner
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Yeti's Beast For This Useful Post:

altech (20th March 2019)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brissieboy View Post
    Actually the individual conductor size has no impact for DC or low frequencies. It only effects the flexibility or ability to withstand movement or vibration.
    It is only with high frequencies where 'skin effect' occurs which make the conductors appear electrically smaller and multiple small strands or better than fewer large ones.
    It is primarily the overall size or cross-sectional area, but also flexibility, that is important here.
    Also not to forget is the contact end , crimped , lugged etc...
    With smaller stranded stuff , which is softer and has the ability to flatten under a crimp providing a more intimate connection , more strands in surface contact with the lug / crimp.
    This in turn helps reduce V loss.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
    2005 TD42TI

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

altech (20th March 2019), Yeti's Beast (20th March 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never buy cheap Ebay Solar controller as I installed this one a week ago and my car battery was down to 10.4 v. not happy Jane. So look for this Fake " MppT " scam on ebay and don't buy. I'm leaning as I go. cheers Alex . p.s. the cheap PWM controller when I started this project , did charge the battery. just saying :-)

fake mppt.jpg
    97 GU Ti 4.5 on lpg , uhf icom Pro400, Garmin GPS Maps, HD-Lukas Dash Cam with gps tracking. Snorkel , I-Max 12000lb Winch , Twin rear light bracket on wheel carrier for light & uhf antenna,Draws unit, Electric Cargo barrier, HID headlights kit, LED Light Bar, 2 inch lift with HD King springs and Monroe Gas Magnum TDT 4WD Shock Absorbers, BS Dueler 697 Lt 285/75R-16 .

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Guys, did some searching for a better MTTP charge controller, found that EPEVER brand have good feed back on them. found this WA company that sells them and they are waterproof too. win win . So I ordered the 5206 BP 20A & Bluetooth module to talk to it. from link below cheers Alex
    https://offroadliving.com.au/collections/solar-charger

blank_fcba37fe-cdd6-4bd3-a30d-33b61b41fde4_2048x2048.jpg

allcontrollersfinal_f59bd7cd-53fb-4bae-afdc-f09ec778c7fe_2048x2048.jpg
    Last edited by altech; 23rd March 2019 at 10:02 AM.
    97 GU Ti 4.5 on lpg , uhf icom Pro400, Garmin GPS Maps, HD-Lukas Dash Cam with gps tracking. Snorkel , I-Max 12000lb Winch , Twin rear light bracket on wheel carrier for light & uhf antenna,Draws unit, Electric Cargo barrier, HID headlights kit, LED Light Bar, 2 inch lift with HD King springs and Monroe Gas Magnum TDT 4WD Shock Absorbers, BS Dueler 697 Lt 285/75R-16 .

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of things:
    - A lot of controllers sold as MPPT are actually PWM. The difference in efficiency is not huge, but they are definitely more efficient. To get the best efficiency they should to be designed for a particular panel as these vary fairly widely in the maximum power specs (ie max power voltage and max power current) so they are usually just a compromise. And it is not easy to tell the difference.
    - Almost all controllers will drain some power from the battery if left connected when there is no input from the solar panels. This varies from a few milliAmps to several hundred milliAmps in the ones I have checked, so it is definitely best to disconnect from the battery when not in use for some time.
    - Most controllers require the battery to be connected before the solar panels, and disconnected after the panels.
    BTW almost all solar panels on fleabay will never achieve their stated power output regardless of the type of coltroller - basic rule of thumb is 1,000watts per square meter max from the sun multiplied by the panel's efficiency (currently around 17% but some better ones are a little higher) or about 170w per square metre of actual panel, not including frame.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brissieboy For This Useful Post:

altech (23rd March 2019), the evil twin (23rd March 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    100% agree ^^^^

Rule of thumb for a layman to check if a Controller really is a true MPPT...

Does it cost around $100 or upwards of $200 for a "name brand" AND does the max input voltage spec exceed 30 Volts?

If the answer is Yes then it is almost def a true MPPT, if the answer is No then it most likely is not.

Do you "need" an MPPT or will a PWM do the Job?
    PWM is equal or in some cases better than MPPT if:
    - the panels are of similar voltage to the load IE "12 Volt" panels and 12 volt battery bank... (if you run MPPT it is often cheaper and more logical to run "48 Volt" house panels instead of "12 Volt" panels)
    - you have good solar irradiance IE direct sunlight and panel facing the sun (MPPT is better if cloudy, off angle, etc)
    - panel temp is 40 ish to 80 ish deg (MPPT is better at very low or very high temps).

When all things are in its favour MPPT can be 25 to 30% better but if the above applies the difference can sometimes be barely noticeable between a $20 PWM and a $200 MPPT.
    That means in many cases if you keep the same array and upgrade the controller you may get little change but if you keep the PWM controller and spend the money on increasing the array wattage you would be much better off.
    Last edited by the evil twin; 23rd March 2019 at 11:51 AM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

altech (23rd March 2019), Yeti's Beast (25th March 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Guys, the Big and bloody heavy battery arrived today, hmmm did I mention heavy lol. Did some improvements / upgrades to the battery wiring. Now waiting on the real MPPT charger to arrive. keep you posted regards Alex

20190325_115354.jpg

20190325_131054.jpg

15. The Following User Says Thank You to altech For This Useful Post:

Yeti's Beast (25th March 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going Solar on the GU wagon

Where I work we sell household / commercial solar equipment for off grid , grid tie solar etc.
    We only use Morningstar controllers as they work. Yes they cost a lot more than most but when you need a controller to look after 600 volts of solar input, you want the best there is.
    My camper is set up with 2x 130 watt 12volt in parallel , Suntech panels and controlled by a Morningstar PWM Prostar 30 amp controller. It charges 2 x 120 ah agm batteries without any problems and been set up that was since 2005
    It doesn’t pay to buy cheap sometimes.
    Think how much is my car/ caravan worth to you?

Proud BTrol Owner
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Yeti's Beast; 25th March 2019 at 02:10 PM.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yeti's Beast For This Useful Post:

altech (25th March 2019), Hodge (25th March 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by altech View Post
    Hi Guys, the Big and bloody heavy battery arrived today, hmmm did I mention heavy lol. Did some improvements / upgrades to the battery wiring. Now waiting on the real MPPT charger to arrive. keep you posted regards Alex

20190325_115354.jpg

20190325_131054.jpg
    Looking heaps better mate. Well done on taking advice. Nice job mate.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

altech (25th March 2019), PeeBee (25th March 2019), Yeti's Beast (25th March 2019)

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast