Thread: What did you buy today

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spare primer bulb and a new catch can filter
    2008 CRD Auto Wagon
    Factory snorkel, flashlube catchcan pro, 3" manta exhaust, hpd boost controller, dyno-tuned & egr deleted

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pollenface For This Useful Post:

MB (16th November 2020)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    04A1BF26-B515-44C9-84B0-8FD40BE920B2.jpeg

Finally I have remote central locking ������ from 50 metres!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mickhead For This Useful Post:

10G (17th November 2020), growler2058 (16th November 2020), MB (16th November 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it looks like it's happening. The money we applied to get out of our super was withdrawn today, so should hit our bank account tomorrow or Monday. It is to pay for the OKA camper we are buying. It's all happening at long range & in slow motion. The vehicle is 1800kms from us in Brisbane & for various reasons it will most likely be mid December at the earliest before I can collect it. When I do I'll be driving it south to Taree in NSW hopefully & leaving it there for a chap to remove it's 5 speed Spicer manual gearbox & replace it with a shiny new 6 speed Allison auto to mate to the Cummins 6BT motor. Will probably also get an Allison controlled exhaust brake fitted (requiring stronger valve springs). It'll be a slow job done over several months by a chap who has all the facilities to & know how to do the job, this will be his 4th or 5th one. Very smart chap, with a good handle on what is required, as well as being an OKA owner & runs a machine shop business. Not sure yet whether to keep the 'like new' 'divorce mounted New Process NP205 transfer case , or to change it for a GU Patrol transfer case mounted direct to the rear of the Allison. So drop the OKA off & come back to my wife up north. Depending how long the job takes we may have time to get up the Cape as we had hoped to do this year before driving down to collect it (& MtsTea seeing it in the flesh for the first time) & then continuing back to Vic, where I want to change a few things to the accommodation side of the vehicle to suit us & to upgrade the solar system a bit.

IMG_0465.jpg IMG_0467.jpg IMG_0469.jpg

Originally a mine vehicle it was purchased in a fairly sorry state, a runner but otherwise a bit of a wreck.
    It has had a lot of work in addition to the ‘house' section being added. Essentially it has been rebuilt from the ground up with all the recognised & desirable mechanical improvements & upgrades for strength & reliability (engine, transmission, suspension, braking etc) OKA owning friends tell me that all the upgrades, with everything replaced with brand new new or fully rebuilt, would have cost at least $100k in parts & labour . This in addition to the general refurbishment beginning with the chassis being completely stripped & repainted with two pak paint & the build completed as a ‘labour of love’ over a 2 or 3 year period with a lot of input & assistance from recognised Melbourne based OKA ‘Guru’ Paul Knot.

GVM 6000kg
    Tare 4860kg

Owner reckons in full travel mode with all tanks full it weighs in at around 5900kg. I'll be making a few additions & trying to delete a bit of un-needed weight to compensate.
    No major components of the vehicle have done more than 60,000km, many less.
    The American import brand new Cummins motor replaced the original Perkins 30,000km ago.
    Camper body is fibreglass composite panel over a steel frame.
    Included are 360Ah LiFePo4 batteries , 360 watts of solar (to be increased), Redarc battery management system (to be replaced), separate redarc dc to dc charger, a large pure sine wave inverter, Internal kitchen with cooktop & oven, separate upright fridge & chest freezer (both Engel), internal shower & vacuum toilet, internal seating & table, & currently sleeping for four (to be changed for just the two of us). The pop top roof is electrically operated using a ‘Linak’ actuator system. The vehicle is set up for remote travel with long distance fuel capacity, twin spares on swing out mounts & with a manual clip on winch to raise & lower them - apparently they weigh something like 90 kg each!, (37" tyres on 19.5" rims) 3 water tanks, pressurised hot & cold water, electric winch & has a Webasto diesel space heater as well as air conditioning (vehicle & 240v). Air compressor is engine mounted (driven off the camshaft) & has a 20 litre receiver tank) & the vehicle has air bag assisted suspension, adjustable from the driver seat. The OKA’s leaf suspension has been matched to suit the additional weight of the camper body.

All pretty exciting!

We always told ourselves that we would travel with the Tvan until we were fed up of 'roughing it', & then get ourselves another bus or motorhome. After around 3.5 years of travelling with the Patrol & Tvan, we could easily have kept on doing so, but had long ago realised that whatever we replaced it with would have to be able to take us off the beaten track as the Patrol & Tvan has. No luxury blacktop only motorhome for us! We discounted all the upgraded delivery trucks like Canters, Isuzus etc as being too compromised in too many ways to our way of thinking. Mogs & the like are too big & wide for many Australian tracks, which really only left two options. The Iveco Daily 4x4 based expedition vehicles kept tempting us, but their poor reliability record, reliance on computers for everything & high prices discouraged us, & most of OKA's which come up for sale are 'tired' & need more TLC to keep them going than we have available at our age, so we kept coming back to the Patrol, Tvan & outdoor cooking in all weathers ..... until this particular OKA came up for sale. We hope it will prove a good & reliable vehicle, with just basic maintenance required. It is chalk & cheese different to the Iveco, with nothing computerised - all 'old school' mechanical (until the Allison is fitted - but even that has a very useable default limp mode in the event of any failure!) I may not miss the Patrol's uncomfortable seats, nor it's shitty horizontally fitted oil filters, but I will miss everything else about it. I love that car more than any other I've ever owned!
    Last edited by Cuppa; 19th November 2020 at 07:04 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

7. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

0-TJ-0 (19th November 2020), 10G (20th November 2020), Clunk (19th November 2020), Cremulator (23rd November 2020), growler2058 (19th November 2020), jack (20th November 2020), jay see (21st November 2020), MB (20th November 2020), mudnut (20th November 2020), pearcey (19th November 2020), PeeBee (19th November 2020), Plasnart (19th November 2020), Rossco (19th November 2020), taslucas (23rd November 2020), Touses (20th November 2020), TPC (19th November 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wow that vehicle looks and sounds like it is just incredible.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 718 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wont be able to talk to you now you snobby bloke.
    All the best and may you get as much pleasure out of it as you have with the old POO Trol.
    I bet that lovely lassie of yours is thrilled.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pearcey View Post
    Wont be able to talk to you now you snobby bloke.
    All the best and may you get as much pleasure out of it as you have with the old POO Trol.
    I bet that lovely lassie of yours is thrilled.
    Yeah @Cuppa ; don’t forget us poor Patrol owners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a beast, love it Cuppa. Hope it treats you guys well, sure it will. .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,320 Times in 754 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought we were doing well, having recently purchased a Hiace bus as a soft tourer camper.

Looks like a great vehicle @Cuppa, congratulations.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,765 Times in 1,516 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Cuppa, just remember the minute you sell the Patrol you’re blacklisted from the forum.

We might make an exception for your Solar and 12v knowledge.

Well done, can’t wait to see it.
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Excellent choice, Cuppa. Look forward to seeing where it takes you.

Page 491 of 564 FirstFirst ... 391441481489490491492493501541 ... LastLast