OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to keep an idle battery healthy.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Best way to keep an idle battery healthy.

G'day, All. My uncle had the misfortune to watch his Rodeo go up in flames a couple of years ago.

Fortunately, he was able to acquire an 06-07 GU TD42 ute which already had a canopy and duel battery system installed.

He runs a 60 litre Engel which is great when he goes away, for 6 months of the year, but the battery seems to run down quickly in the off season.

I had a look under the bonnet and found that the second battery is only charged via a solenoid, so there is not much of a circuit that will cause leakage.

My question is this, what would be the best way of maintaining the battery?
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,664 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A multi stage charger plugged into 240v while the car is dormant.
    Or if he uses the car weekly the a dc-dc multi stage charger.. to save unplugging all the time..

You see 7 stage chargers for about $100 these days..

But if he's getting mass voltage drop over a short period I'd say battery is near toast..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

mudnut (26th May 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Will let him know, thanks, Kallen.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,425 Times in 6,261 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I just bought a ctek 3.8A smart charger for $105 to leave plugged in all the time.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (26th May 2016), mudnut (26th May 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Charge it at the end of the Season with a "recondition" mode charger.
    Disconnect the Battery until next season.
    Maybe a quick top up in the middle of the "off season"

If it loses charge that way then the Battery is toast
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (26th May 2016), blocko05 (27th May 2016), mudnut (26th May 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is leaving the battery hooked up to a solar panel (regulated obviously) going to achieve the same results as a 240v charger? I.e. Maintain/top up the battery level.

My patrol is hooked up to my solar panel and I have been wondering if I can leave it or I should unplug it then just use it to top the battery up every so often.
    1999 GU DUAL FUEL 4.5 - 2" OME - 33's KM2s - SNORKEL - CUSTOM DINTS.... Goes by the name Candy (the car not me )

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What has been missed so far is to ask what sort of battery it is. A 'wet' battery will behave somewhat differently to a an AGM battery. The latter were originally designed for the armed forces who wanted bateries for vehicles & equipment which were only used from time to time, sitting idle in between. Wet batteries have a much higher 'self discharge rate' & need regular charging to prevent them going 'flat' & bringing about their early demise. AGM batteries on the other hand can be fully charged & then left idle & unused for months at a time. An AGM in good condition left in this way will still be at 80% SOC (State of charge) after say 3 months, & 60+% after 12 months. I don't advise leaving one for 12 months, but charging it to 100% every 3 or 4 months would be fine.

If it's a wet battery weekly charging combined with a check of of it's fluid levels will suffice. eaving it connected to a mains or solar trickle charge will also do the job, but still wise to check the fluid regularly

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (26th May 2016), mudnut (26th May 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lhurley View Post
    Is leaving the battery hooked up to a solar panel (regulated obviously) going to achieve the same results as a 240v charger? I.e. Maintain/top up the battery level.

My patrol is hooked up to my solar panel and I have been wondering if I can leave it or I should unplug it then just use it to top the battery up every so often.
    It would but again for best results a dc-dc multi stage charger is best..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigguwesty View Post
    It would but again for best results a dc-dc multi stage charger is best..
    Sorry Kallen, but that just isn’t so. A solar regulator is a multi stage charger & a battery doesn’t care if it’s charge is coming from the sun, an alternaor (via dc to c charger) or from a mains powered multi stage charger. In respect to the OP’s question, the least useful would be a dc to dc charger which requires the vehicle to be used to do it’s job.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Sorry Kallen, but that just isn’t so. A solar regulator is a multi stage charger & a battery doesn’t care if it’s charge is coming from the sun, an alternaor (via dc to c charger) or from a mains powered multi stage charger. In respect to the OP’s question, the least useful would be a dc to dc charger which requires the vehicle to be used to do it’s job.
    Sorry your right. I should have put more into the answer.. lol
    I was going "best option" along the line of the solar with a dc-dc charger is more versatile, once setup it can be used anywhere..

But yes when at home if the car I'd sheded for lma long time then the 240v wins
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast