Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carter fuel pump flow rate.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carter fuel pump flow rate.

I will send a pm to mudski but has any one else got or dealt with a carter pump ? The free flow rate is over 300 litres per minute and yet the filters I have found have a flow rate now where near the pump rate, I am looking at a prefilter/water trap then the primary, 30 micron for the pre and about 10 micron for the primar.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sure there are a few guys here running them. Ignore the free flow rate as the pump within the system will never deliver this anyway. I use the Aeroflow pump and simply went this way as comparable performance and a bit cheaper. @mudski will be a good adviser, however your fuel lines are the dictator here anyway, so a fuel filter/seperator similar in size would suffice. I also run a racor water sep with electric indicator.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 613 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run a Carter 4600 (bought from @mudski 5 years ago) with a 30 micron Fuel Manager as pre filter/water separator (with electronic alarm) + the stock fuel filter.
    Runs well with a 150 kw IP.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jff45 View Post
    I run a Carter 4600 (bought from @mudski 5 years ago) with a 30 micron Fuel Manager as pre filter/water separator (with electronic alarm) + the stock fuel filter.
    Runs well with a 150 kw IP.
    I also brought the P4600hp pump, I am trying to use my CAV similar as a pre-filter to use what I have and to save money,I was not happy to find out today that after being told from a guy at Supercheap that my Ryco was a 10 micron and it actually was an 18 micron,I specifically asked him about it because I had a brand new UFI pump installed and I wanted to protect it, so instead of getting a better filter I got a worse one.
    Last edited by First Pooy; 8th July 2020 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Spelling

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by First Pooy View Post
    I also brought the P4600hp pump, I am trying to use my CAV similar as a pre-filter to use what I have and to save money,I was not happy to find out today that after being told from a guy at Supercheap that my Ryco was a 10 micron and it actually was an 18 micron,I specifically asked him about it because I had a brand new UFI pump installed and I wanted to protect it, so instead of getting a better filter I got a worse one.
    Maybe Im biased but Ryco are just the expensive "cheap" filters. Fleetguard and Donaldson equivalents to the R2132P are 12 micron. I can't recall ever seeing a 10 micron CAV equivalent. The genuine filters are circa 10 micron, and any decent aftermarket equivalents, so these are more than enough if you have one. In my opinion.
    Unless your living on dirt, or planning on any remote travel, or constantly getting shit fuel, which is actually becoming an issue is Australia, the stock filter setup is more than enough. In my opinion again.
    I deal with this stuff daily, and see way too many people spending unnecessary money on extra fuel filtration when they don't need it. Good on them for adding extra protection on their investment I suppose... I have some people who will only travel lightly around the Victorian High country and they want extra fuel protection. Their money they're wasting/ spending at my work so it doesn't worry me much. One of my customers has three Patrols, two GUs, one a TD42, the other a CRD, and also a TD42 GQ and he's just spent nearly $1000 changing the entire fuel filtration setup on all three to Donaldson setups. Yeah they are 5 micron filters now but I know his vehicles usage. Not needed at all.
    Last edited by mudski; 9th July 2020 at 06:59 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

First Pooy (8th July 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 613 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My reasons for adding the Fuel Manager as pre-filter are to have a more efficient/reliable water separation & warning than the stock filter and to prolong the life of the stock filter.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The Ryco R2132P CAV filter is 15 micron too. But only at Beta 75, or 98.7% efficiency. Which means the filter will let approx one out of every 75, 15 micron particles to pass through the filter. Definitely. not the type of filter you would use for a Common rail engine. Still ok for the old TD clunkers though.

Bit of useless info but, a grain of table salt is around 100 micron, the smallest the human eye can see is around 40 micron.
    Last edited by mudski; 9th July 2020 at 07:54 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

First Pooy (10th July 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 515 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That’s not useless info at all Muddy- I was actual just wondering how big a micron actually is .

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "the smallest the human eye can see is around 40 micron" - my wife can see if something is out of alignment by 1 billionth of a micron, so I think we males all need to start wearing microscopes instead of glasses.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

mudski (9th July 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    The Ryco R2132P CAV filter is 15 micron too. But only at Beta 75, or 98.7% efficiency. Which means the filter will let approx one out of every 75, 15 micron particles to pass through the filter. Definitely. not the type of filter you would use for a Common rail engine. Still ok for the old TD clunkers though.

Bit of useless info but, a grain of table salt is around 100 micron, the smallest the human eye can see is around 40 micron.
    Sorry to be contradictive and I know you do this every day, but I was looking up the R2132P micron rating and I was confused because the Ryco web site showed two different ratings one was 15 micron and the other was 18 micron so I rang up Ryco and they confirmed that the R2132P was actually a 18 micron.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast