Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dom14 View Post
    What disappearing oil leak?!
    Went for a fourby in Toolangi before bubs came along. Airing up at the end of the trip, noticed some oil had dripped down onto the diff. Got under and had a look, and seemed to be coming from the front passenger side corner of the sump gasket area. Could have been dripping down the Timing cover, with the dirt and mud from the trip was hard to tell.

Got it home, gave it all a good wash and took it for a drive locally hoping to give me a clearer picture of where it's coming from - but now it won't leak!

Sure enough, if I go any decent distance it will decide to empty itself out, so want to track it down before the next trip. Thinking it's possible that maybe the oil moves to the front of the sump when I go down a hill and leaks out from either the sump or some other seal, so I need to find a steep hill near home to confirm my suspicion.

Frustrating.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there any oil on the back face of the harmonic balancer?
    Tell tale sign harmonic seal worn.
    If it's only on long trips, it's the oil getting hot/thin enough to pass a seal one would think.
    What brand & grade oil are you running?.

but your statement, Emptying out, sound like more than a drip, whats the go there ?
    IF IT'S NOT A NISSAN.
    THEN IT'S A COMPROMISE

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If it was coming from the front of the engine, the timing belt would surely be soaked or at least show signs of contamination. and since there is no seal between the belt and balancer there would be oil or oil soaked dust on the bottom of the cover.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Throbbinhood View Post
    Went for a fourby in Toolangi before bubs came along. Airing up at the end of the trip, noticed some oil had dripped down onto the diff. Got under and had a look, and seemed to be coming from the front passenger side corner of the sump gasket area. Could have been dripping down the Timing cover, with the dirt and mud from the trip was hard to tell.

Got it home, gave it all a good wash and took it for a drive locally hoping to give me a clearer picture of where it's coming from - but now it won't leak!

Sure enough, if I go any decent distance it will decide to empty itself out, so want to track it down before the next trip. Thinking it's possible that maybe the oil moves to the front of the sump when I go down a hill and leaks out from either the sump or some other seal, so I need to find a steep hill near home to confirm my suspicion.

Frustrating.
    Well, if I hear you correctly, I would stop driving it right now and get to the bottom of it.
    Oil vanishing into thin air is a serious concern for a relatively younger engine.

I would drain the oil completely and have a good look at the oil, whether it has too much soot in it or not.
    Use 20/50 and see how it goes. I remember during central oz trek, mine did the same thing when I put 10/30(or 15/45). By same thing, I meant oil level dropping rapidly without any leaks. I experimented with 15/45 during this summer for local errands. The oil level did not drop, other than blowby getting worse. So, I reckon worn out engine/thinner oil/higher rpm longer drives is not a good combination.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And if you happen to be doing the front crank oil seal, make sure to apply enough HTB on the lips of the seal as well as the shaft, and be gentle with it. I had to do the whole damn thing all over again 'cos the seal lips went in crooked. Watch using a mirror to make sure seal's properly in, but not too far in by forcing it too much.
    And it's probably a good idea to go for the original Nissan oil seal.
    Last edited by dom14; 12th May 2016 at 02:18 PM.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robo View Post
    If it's only on long trips, it's the oil getting hot/thin enough to pass a seal one would think.

but your statement, Emptying out, sound like more than a drip, whats the go there ?
    Haven't had a look at the balancer to be honest, but thanks for the tip, I'll check it out! There was a decent size patch of oil on the diff as a result.
    As for oil, I'm running whatever was in the factory manual. Can't remember off the top of my head though.

Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    If it was coming from the front of the engine, the timing belt would surely be soaked or at least show signs of contamination. and since there is no seal between the belt and balancer there would be oil or oil soaked dust on the bottom of the cover.
    I'll have a look at this. Hopefully not much work to get the cover off. Would the oil soaked dust be on the outside of the cover? Or would it pool inside of it?

Well, if I hear you correctly, I would stop driving it right now and get to the bottom of it.
    Oil vanishing into thin air is a serious concern for a relatively younger engine.

I would drain the oil completely and have a good look at the oil, whether it has too much soot in it or not.
    Use 20/50 and see how it goes. I remember during central oz trek, mine did the same thing when I put 10/30(or 15/45). By same thing, I meant oil level dropping rapidly without any leaks. I experimented with 15/45 during this summer for local errands. The oil level did not drop, other than blowby getting worse. So, I reckon worn out engine/thinner oil/higher rpm longer drives is not a good combination.
    It's not my daily, it's been sitting in the backyard since that trip - barring the drive to the carwash and around the block trying to get it to leak.
    It's not vanishing into thin air though. The oil level on the line isn't dropping since I got back from Toolangi - and the slight drop in level on the dipstick for that trip I'd account to the leak.

And if you happen to be doing the front crank oil seal, make sure to apply enough HTB on the lips of the seal as well as the shaft, and be gentle with it. I had to do the whole damn thing all over again 'cos the seal lips went in crooked. Watch using a mirror to make sure seal's properly in, but not too far in by forcing it too much.
    And it's probably a good idea to go for the original Nissan oil seal.
    Thanks for the tip! Hoping it doesn't come to that, or, well, whatever ends up being the easiest solution anyway haha.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Easy peasy to get the top cover off, Just the crappy bolt (into the block behind the distributor) which holds the vacuum pipe bracket is a PITA.

What type of oil was it, Not P/S fluid or A/C oil? The breather on the diff could've popped off too.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    Easy peasy to get the top cover off, Just the crappy bolt (into the block behind the distributor) which holds the vacuum pipe bracket is a PITA.

What type of oil was it, Not P/S fluid or A/C oil? The breather on the diff could've popped off too.
    Nah, breather was fine and it didn't come with AC. Could definitely see oil around the front passenger side of the sump.

I did check the P/S, it was dry at all the joints and fluid level is at the top line as usual.

Thanks for the info about the top cover. Don't really know which outcome is best at this stage haha

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'm officially at a loss.

The starter motor is working fine again. Guessing maybe there was some crud that got in after some mud, and it's good again now. Didn't bother to pull it off as it looks like it's in a PITA spot for a big bloke like me.

As for the oil leak, well, your guess is as good as mine. Back of the harmonic balancer is clean, as is the timing belt. Took it to a couple of local spots and put it on some rude angles and it's not leaking anywhere I can find and I'm not losing any oil. I keep 6L of oil in the back and have racv so I'll just drive it until it worsens a bit so then I know what to fix.

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robo View Post

For some dumb arse reason I was thinking you had tb engine.
    IF IT'S NOT A NISSAN.
    THEN IT'S A COMPROMISE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast