Thread: Returning member

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Returning member

G'day Lads and Lasses,

It has been a while since I visited these pages and have missed you all. I did sell my 1997 GQ RD28T a few years ago and currently run a 1998 Ford Explorer. I will be on the market for a new GQ next year so starting my search a little early.
    Will probably pick up a reasonable unit and do a full tear down and rebuild over a couple of years.

Cheers and have a great day!
    Rob
    Just about to jump into my next Patrol. A 2001 GU II TB45E .

WARNING!: Do not ever use a towball as a recovery point. They are not rated and can become a deadly projectile during a recovery if they snap off, and they have done so with tragic results in the past.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rkinsey For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (28th May 2018)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 994 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome back to the forum mate
    In the words of a Dhuck "QUACK".

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dhuck For This Useful Post:

rkinsey (28th May 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome back mate

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GQtdauto For This Useful Post:

rkinsey (28th May 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,751 Times in 8,576 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Awesome news mate, welcome back and looking forward to seeing the new beast!

Thanks
    Thanked 12,951 Times in 6,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome back mate!

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to growler2058 For This Useful Post:

rkinsey (29th May 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,491 Times in 6,596 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome back mate.. do you bnb have a budget for the GQ? Do you want a wagon or ute? Some really good examples coming on the market.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    Awesome news mate, welcome back and looking forward to seeing the new beast!
    G'day AB, Thanks mate. its going to be a while. Have to build the garage yet.... so the Explorer will have to do for now. Which has quite surprised me in its towing and 4WD capability to be honest but I miss my Patrol.

WARNING!: Do not ever use a towball as a recovery point. They are not rated and can become a deadly projectile during a recovery if they snap off, and they have done so with tragic results in the past.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Welcome back mate.. do you bnb have a budget for the GQ? Do you want a wagon or ute? Some really good examples coming on the market.
    G'day Mudrunner,

Thanks mate. Budget will be between $10 - $15k mark. Probably pickup a reasonable unit and then tear down and rebuild (If it needs it). Looking for a manual TD42 this time in a wagon so I will take my time. I still have about 12 months before Im ready to get one though. The Garage is the next project that I have to build.

Have seen a few 4.5 Lt petrol units but dont know how they would go towing and fuel economy either.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,491 Times in 6,596 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rkinsey View Post
    G'day Mudrunner,

Thanks mate. Budget will be between $10 - $15k mark. Probably pickup a reasonable unit and then tear down and rebuild (If it needs it). Looking for a manual TD42 this time in a wagon so I will take my time. I still have about 12 months before Im ready to get one though. The Garage is the next project that I have to build.

Have seen a few 4.5 Lt petrol units but dont know how they would go towing and fuel economy either.
    If you have $10-$15k for a TD42 GQ you will get the best in the market
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im thinking if I cant pick one up thats in reasonable condition then I would pick a body and chassis that is in good "no rust" condition and start building one that fits my specifications.

I did that with my Explorer. I had two identical cars. One was running but the body was in poor condition and the other was in good condition but wouldnt turn over. So I built one good car out of two that would have gone to scrap.

All up only cost me $5k and I have a reliable 4WD. I can do the same sort of thing again with a GQ. But for a bit more than $5k....

Explorers.jpg