Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: G35 Fan Direction?

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also is it worth installating a second condensor fan on the drivers side or would that just mess up air flow and make it worse?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    2nd fan 'inline' will not usually improve many situations and can make it worse.

The principle in play is thermo-dynamics.
    The objective is to draw thermal energy from the Rad and into the air mass and dump the air.
    The air mass energy dissipation is directly related to the fan efficiency and rated in 'cubic feet a minute'.
    The more cubes you move the more change in temp you get (delta T)
    If you have one fan that has a higher CFM than another "inline" then the 2nd doesn't do much except impeded flow.
    Exception is where one is a fixed CFM (elec) and the other is variable and both can free wheel.

Pushing or pulling is not relevant if the fan is ducted.
    What goes in the front of the fan comes out the back so if the fan is ducted onto the Rad , front or back mount is irrelevant.

DOR of the fan
    Some fans are universal IE the blade is symetrical and shifts the same CFM no matter the DOR
    Many fans are not and the fan blade is asymetrical (aspect ratio changes towards trailing edge) and designed to be more efficient (much more usually) in one DOR.
    If you want to reverse the operation of an asymetric fan you have to swap the position of the assy from behind to in front, swap the fan blades on the shaft, and swap the polarity of the motor.

The above is some of the reasons why the A/C condensor fans are offset and have their own 'duct' in relation the engine driven/Rad fan combo on a factory vehicle.
    It is also some (not all) of the reasons why if you fit eleccy fans you rrsehole the engine driven fan
    Last edited by the evil twin; 24th February 2018 at 06:17 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

NissanGQ4.2 (24th February 2018)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    2nd fan 'inline' will not usually improve many situations and can make it worse.

The principle in play is thermo-dynamics.
    The objective is to draw thermal energy from the Rad and into the air mass and dump the air.
    The air mass energy dissipation is directly related to the fan efficiency and rated in 'cubic feet a minute'.
    The more cubes you move the more change in temp you get (delta T)
    If you have one fan that has a higher CFM than another "inline" then the 2nd doesn't do much except impeded flow.
    Exception is where one is a fixed CFM (elec) and the other is variable and both can free wheel.

Pushing or pulling is not relevant if the fan is ducted.
    What goes in the front of the fan comes out the back so if the fan is ducted onto the Rad , front or back mount is irrelevant.

DOR of the fan
    Some fans are universal IE the blade is symetrical and shifts the same CFM no matter the DOR
    Many fans are not and the fan blade is asymetrical (aspect ratio changes towards trailing edge) and designed to be more efficient (much more usually) in one DOR.
    If you want to reverse the operation of an asymetric fan you have to swap the fan, and the polarity of the motor (elec)

The above is some of the reasons why the A/C condensor fans are offset and have their own 'duct' in relation the engine driven/Rad fan combo on a factory vehicle.
    It is also some (not all) of the reasons why if you fit eleccy fans you rrsehole the engine driven fan

Thankyou.

So in regards to push or pull. Its okay either way with the G35 fan? Originally I had it same blade direction as factory fan and it worked fine.
    Now I have it the other way and it seems to work fine too.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Is it one of these? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Infiniti-G3...ts=Model%3AG35
    If so it is an asymetric fan and will be much more efficient with the correct DOR.
    If you go by 'rude' measurement like engine temp, wet finger, sound etc it may well appear to 'work' either way.

If you measure the actual CFM with an anemometer I'll bet 1/2 a can of flat Suffolk it is shifting heaps more cubes one way compared to t'other.

If you are bolting it to the factory fan clutch the the DoR must be correct with the 'F' to the front or you are wasting efficiency
    Last edited by the evil twin; 24th February 2018 at 04:01 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

drgtr (24th February 2018)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Is it one of these? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Infiniti-G3...ts=Model%3AG35
    If so it is an asymetric fan and will be much more efficient with the correct DOR.
    If you go by 'rude' measurement like engine temp, wet finger, sound etc it may well appear to 'work' either way.

If you measure the actual CFM with an anemometer I'll bet 1/2 a can of flat Suffolk it is shifting heaps more cubes one way compared to t'other.

If you are bolting it to the factory fan clutch the the DoR must be correct with the 'F' to the front or you are wasting efficiency

You Legend. Yes thats the one and yes thats the answer that I need to hear.

Thanks mate. You know your stuff!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Digging up an old thread, But wondering does anyone know if a G35 fan will fit onto a ZD30DI viscous hub?

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,259 Times in 6,425 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GUFLEX View Post
    Digging up an old thread, But wondering does anyone know if a G35 fan will fit onto a ZD30DI viscous hub?
    No and why would you want too? They don't overheat.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    No and why would you want too? They don't overheat.

Was just curious for the most part, as if i ever have to replace the fan in the future might as well upgrade (Have seen a few fans break apart from being perished/old)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to GUFLEX For This Useful Post:

mudski (29th July 2020)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,259 Times in 6,425 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GUFLEX View Post
    Was just curious for the most part, as if i ever have to replace the fan in the future might as well upgrade (Have seen a few fans break apart from being perished/old)
    Ahh ok. Even if it did fit you wouldn't see any benefit other than probably running too cold.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think I have ever seen a fan blow back through the radiator to the front of the vehicle. One reason could be is that when you are driving along air is forced through the grill and then through the radiator. If you had a fan blowing in the other direction you would have opposing air flows.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast