Thread: Castor correction advice please

Thanks
    Thanked 13,494 Times in 6,598 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo2410 View Post
    Wouldnt dropping the front increase the castor error? If the effect of raising the suspension causes the front axle to be drawn further back (tilting it under the car) then wouldn't it be that the rear tyres needed to be lowered to have any effect on the castor? Or is it that regardless of the incline or decline the castor is out and raising or lowering the front or back will not effect the castor itself? Just trying to wrap my head around it is all :-)
    Indeed. Apologies. Run s lower pressure in the rears and go for a drive.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problems, was trying to understand how it works .. will try and post back

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just went for a quick trip on the highway .. it's difficult to say really if it's any different .. possibly .. a bit ... it's still there for sure but probably no worse than a gust of sidewind. Put it this way I certainly dont want to take my eyes off the road .. nor drive with one hand ..

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Will be interested to see how far out it is and how much correction you need. It should feel planted.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah definitely not what I would call planted at all ..

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just had work done this morning after new tyres and alignment and a resulting pull to the left resulting from an un-adjustable caster error.
    Went to Pedders (at Geebung in Brisbane) with the report from the tyre mob. They look at the report but will not accept the results. A lot of alignments done by tyre places are less than ideal - mostly because of the quality or calibration of their alignment equipment. Pedders actually have top-shelf equipment and theirs is calibrated weekly! And these blokes really know their stuff.
    Checked everything, fitted the appropriate caster correction kit and aligned things properly. Now drives dead straight.
    I would strongly suggest that you spend the cash to have the experts do a check if you are having tramming problems, rather than simply playing with tyre pressures, etc. These thing will only mask the real problem.
    BTW the job cost me considerably less that your original quote.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brissieboy View Post
    Just had work done this morning after new tyres and alignment and a resulting pull to the left resulting from an un-adjustable caster error.
    Went to Pedders (at Geebung in Brisbane) with the report from the tyre mob. They look at the report but will not accept the results. A lot of alignments done by tyre places are less than ideal - mostly because of the quality or calibration of their alignment equipment. Pedders actually have top-shelf equipment and theirs is calibrated weekly! And these blokes really know their stuff.
    Checked everything, fitted the appropriate caster correction kit and aligned things properly. Now drives dead straight.
    I would strongly suggest that you spend the cash to have the experts do a check if you are having tramming problems, rather than simply playing with tyre pressures, etc. These thing will only mask the real problem.
    BTW the job cost me considerably less that your original quote.
    I agree, an alignment at Pedders will be far better as it is their bread and Butter. Get the pros to do it for sure.

The suggestion of playing with the tyre pressures was purely for some experimentation over the weekend when no other avenue was available. Playing with Tyre pressure will never fix this, just mask the symptoms. Dropping the rear would give him the sensation of a caster change for the day to se how the change was.

I have driven a car with a new lift that tracked terribly. i was very concerned as it was my Dad's and i was delivering it to him. Had me worried. I pulled into a tyre place and found that 1 front tyre was 10psi lower than the rest of the car. Pump it up and transformed the car. So a Great place to start.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    unfortunately there are no Pedders stores here that I am aware of (yes I have looked) .. there are the auto stores that sell Pedders parts and one that fits .. but they are not Pedders fitters .. closest we have is Opposite lock and ARB .. otherwise it's buying the parts (suggestions welcome) and getting others to fit them. I should know more tomorrow morning .. it will be interesting.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo2410 View Post
    unfortunately there are no Pedders stores here that I am aware of (yes I have looked) .. there are the auto stores that sell Pedders parts and one that fits .. but they are not Pedders fitters .. closest we have is Opposite lock and ARB .. otherwise it's buying the parts (suggestions welcome) and getting others to fit them. I should know more tomorrow morning .. it will be interesting.
    Where are you located?

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Southwest Western Australia

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast