Thread: Brake Rotors & Pads

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brake Rotors & Pads

I have a 2005 4.2td patrol wagon. I need to replace my rear brake rotors and while I’m at it, I’m going to replace the front.

I’ve done some reading and with all this business about drilled, not drilled, slotted, not slotted, dimpled etc, it’s doing my head in.

I get to the outback every couple of years, I tow a fairly heavy camper trailer and regularly during the warmer months I tow my 5 metre fibreglass boat.

Can someone with more knowledge in this area tell me what I should be buying.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brake Rotors & Pads

What are the experts thoughts on these rotors and brake pads

Last edited by shakey55; 23rd May 2020 at 12:48 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RDA Slotted & dimpled are what I use on the front of my 06 TD42 ute, along with EBC pads, previously greenstuff series 6000 which I replaced at around 60,000kms (with a bit more life left in them, but it suited me to change when I did, now yellowstuff). At least a 3rd of that mileage was towing in ofyen very dusty outback conditions. It is advised to get the discs skimmed when replacing pads, but my discs were in very good condition, no scoring or grooving, & the place where I was did not have the right gear for skimming dimpled or drilled disks, so instead just used some emery on them lightly. The new pads have now a few thousand kms & I'm happy with them & the discs. I'd put'em on the back too if I didn't have drums. Far better performance than standard. Wear well, & importantly for towing, far more heat resistant when being 'pushed' down long hills (No fade). Not cheap, but I doubt you'd do better. One day I might put braided hoses on, but have been saying that since I first put the RDA/EBC combo on, & haven't felt that it is really necessary.

@jack put them on all 4 corners of his wagon (tows an off road van heavier than ours) & has been happy with them too.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 23rd May 2020 at 07:42 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

0-TJ-0 (23rd May 2020), jack (23rd May 2020), MudRunnerTD (24th May 2020), shakey55 (26th May 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,765 Times in 1,516 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like @Cuppa said, I've fitted them and taken my (2,000kg plus) van on some pretty extreme trips. Couldn't fault them and happy to recommend them.
    I didn't think the original brakes were to bad until I upgraded, like chalk and cheese. Not cheap, but certainly worth it in my opinion.
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jack For This Useful Post:

shakey55 (26th May 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shakey55 View Post
    What are the experts thoughts on these rotors and brake pads

Check out racebrakes Sydney