Thread: Anyone using snatch rings?

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,320 Times in 754 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey @MudRunnerTD, check ya inbox / PMs comrade.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 10G For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (5th June 2019)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    I was thinking if your winching 4t thats going to build a heap of heat.
    Happy to be wrong , cant see it being safer and safety is the name of the game eh
    G'day TD. Was emailing Luke from Drifta, they se;; these rings. He sent me a video on which they use one of these rings to recover a fully loaded 79 series up a rise/hill. He said the rings hardly get warm. I haven't watched the vid yet. Here tis - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liAneEO9ofI

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been able to get a snatch ring from the good folks at Drifta for demo day use at @MudRunnerTD upcoming soft shackle / how to splice workshop.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys think of them.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 10G For This Useful Post:

MB (6th June 2019), MudRunnerTD (6th June 2019), threedogs (6th June 2019)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was watching a youtube clip on these units in action, from a distributor in the UK from memory, and what I noticed was the soft shackle was fitted with a wear sleeve and the donut rotates directly on that surface rather than the rope. I thought that would probably be enough to get me to purchase one as the interface surface between the rope and ring is my only concern. I think they are a really simple device and improvement in a lot of conditions, but still holding onto the snatch block until I see some more feedback.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I use a chafe sleeve on my softies anytime I think they may be subject to friction heat or severe abrasion.

You can use an old length of sleeve off a knackered Winch Rope or buy some.
    All you do is cut it to length and slide it over the softie.

It's only like 10 to 15 bucks a metre and that metre will give you 3 or 4 sleeves at least.

If you identify a need you slip a sleeve over the softie, attach the softie, do the deed, remove the softie and check for damage... just like using a...uuummmmm... nah, won't go there.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Premium-Qua...lvWlJmGhKNdr7w
    Last edited by the evil twin; 7th June 2019 at 12:41 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

10G (7th June 2019), MudRunnerTD (7th June 2019), PeeBee (7th June 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    I use a chafe sleeve on my softies anytime I think they may be subject to friction heat or severe abrasion.

You can use an old length of sleeve off a knackered Winch Rope or buy some.
    All you do is cut it to length and slide it over the softie.

It's only like 10 to 15 bucks a metre and that metre will give you 3 or 4 sleeves at least.

If you identify a need you slip a sleeve over the softie, attach the softie, do the deed, remove the softie and check for damage... just like using a...uuummmmm... nah, won't go there.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Premium-Qua...lvWlJmGhKNdr7w
    Nice, been looking and all i could find was expensive and not quite big enough for my 12mm. would you grab some 20mm for a loose fit over the 12mm Softy although it is a double length of 12mm so not sure that is big enough?
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

10G (7th June 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    I was watching a youtube clip on these units in action, from a distributor in the UK from memory, and what I noticed was the soft shackle was fitted with a wear sleeve and the donut rotates directly on that surface rather than the rope. I thought that would probably be enough to get me to purchase one as the interface surface between the rope and ring is my only concern. I think they are a really simple device and improvement in a lot of conditions, but still holding onto the snatch block until I see some more feedback.
    In the previous Vid the guys specifically talks about the sheath. He was concerned about dirt under the sheath that you cant see. If everything is kept clean the risk is very low. The winch rope is no where near the soft shackle by design so it really is how clean the Soft Shackle is, Not the winch rope. This should be an instant inspection and judgement i think.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (7th June 2019)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    In the previous Vid the guys specifically talks about the sheath. He was concerned about dirt under the sheath that you cant see. If everything is kept clean the risk is very low. The winch rope is no where near the soft shackle by design so it really is how clean the Soft Shackle is, Not the winch rope. This should be an instant inspection and judgement i think.
    Totally agree Darren. For me the rolling and sliding winch rope is not the issue, its the static soft shackle. If that part stays out of the muck, and is protected by the sock, happy days. The winch rope may pick up some crap but its impact on the ring would be minimal I reckon, certainly no worse than a snatch block.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

10G (7th June 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I have a heap of 25mm yacht rope Id love to find out what breaking strain
    or what its used for. Id love to have an eye spliced in each end. Ive used it once
    for a recovery and it was fine its an awesome piece of rope, I had about 20mtrs
    but cut it in half. maybe some one can tell me what I have from the colour marking
    on the rope.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    By "Yacht Rope" I assume you mean double braid polyester IE an internal braided poly rope with an external poly braid over it and not Kernmantle over aramid or somesuch... IE this stuff
    https://www.whitworths.com.au/6mm-d-braid-white

If so 25mm (which is pretty darn big) is rated around 15,000 Kg B.S... 20mm is 10 to 12,000 Kg B.S.
    Work backwards from there for knots used

I say "around" as it is different for different manufacturers.

FWIW I have some 20mm Marlowe 8 Braid at work hidden away as it is awesome to handle wet or dry (so perfect for mooring lines) but a pig to splice.
    Last edited by the evil twin; 7th June 2019 at 04:59 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast