Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: run away diesels

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

run away diesels

Hi there, have just been watching youtube videos on runaway diesels. Would a simple fix be to have a fuel cut off switch fitted in the cabin? Seems to me to be a logical answer to this problem. What do others think?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 20,757 Times in 8,578 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Runaway is most commonly added fuel from a different source such as what I just experienced by a seal on a turbo letting oil through the intake.

The oil is then the fuel for the engine not diesel so a fuel cut off will not do anything.

To stop a runaway you would need to stop air, a snorkel would be a winner by blocking the snorkel and starving the runaway engine of air or to try and stall the engine.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    Runaway is most commonly added fuel from a different source such as what I just experienced by a seal on a turbo letting oil through the intake.

The oil is then the fuel for the engine not diesel so a fuel cut off will not do anything.

To stop a runaway you would need to stop air, a snorkel would be a winner by blocking the snorkel and starving the runaway engine of air or to try and stall the engine.
    Look at you go..

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

AB (26th September 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Years ago the mates cray boats over here had a butterfly installed in the air intake to shut off air as a last resort.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear about your turbo AB. Didn't realize that the oil could play a part in the problem. 4bye4 ,below, says that cutting off the air is a way of doing the same thing, so perhaps manufactures should incorporate a air cut off unit in their air induction systems??

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My old hilux did this.. Oil got into the intake somehow and she just kept going, well past the 6k on the dash.. Lucky it was a manual, dumped it in 5th and dropped the clutch whilst standing on the brakes.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jman69 View Post
    Sorry to hear about your turbo AB. Didn't realize that the oil could play a part in the problem. 4bye4 ,below, says that cutting off the air is a way of doing the same thing, so perhaps manufactures should incorporate a air cut off unit in their air induction systems??
    A big diesel in full run away has the potential to get air by destroying the butterfly valve or sucking the air intake flat or whatever. As I said, the guy I knew with this on looked at it as somthing to try before jumping overboard, always a last resort method.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

mudnut (27th September 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,352 Times in 3,170 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It happens rarely in diesel locos. They would get oil build up in the air box and that would be pushed into the engine ports and become fuel. It was one of the service items to drain them. Just think of a V6, V8, V16 with 567 or 645 Cubic inches in each cylinder revving like crazy. I never saw it but one of my workmates had to 'abandon ship' when a Y or a T class (can't remember which) suffered runaway. Remember the instance where a forum member forgot to take a plastic bottle from his snorkel head? The vacuum would be many times that on a runaway. As has been said, apart from dumping the clutch on a manual, there is bugger all you can do but hope the fuel source runs out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmIfjmvXp0I
    Last edited by mudnut; 27th September 2016 at 04:49 PM.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, thanks for all the replies. Lucky mine is only a 2.8 and also a manual.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    It happens rarely in diesel locos. They would get oil build up in the air box and that would be pushed into the engine ports and become fuel. It was one of the service items to drain them. Just think of a V6, V8, V16 with 567 or 645 Cubic inches in each cylinder revving like crazy. I never saw it but one of my workmates had to 'abandon ship' when a Y or a T class (can't remember which) suffered runaway. Remember the instance where a forum member forgot to take a plastic bottle from his snorkel head? The vacuum would be many times that on a runaway. As has been said, apart from dumping the clutch on a manual, there is bugger all you can do but hope the fuel source runs out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmIfjmvXp0I
    Nothing like a runaway EMD, had a 567 runaway once, blower seals let go and pumped it full of oil and away she went. Pulled the govenor button and walked away until it eventually petered out and stopped.

Had a 16v 149 detroit take off once during a load test, coming off load it took off. Had siezed a fuel rack on 1 injector which held all the injectors at full fuel with no load on the engine. Hit the emergency stop button which drops the air intake flaps then sucked all the intake seals in and kept on going. Oh shit... turn the fuel off, still had about 1 minute worth of fuel in the lines until it stopped. That was a fun day.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

14. The Following User Says Thank You to firm351 For This Useful Post:

mudnut (27th September 2016)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast