User Tag List

Thread: gq rd28 timing belt

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gq rd28 timing belt

Gday im gonna be doin the timing belt soon on my gq rd28 and im hoping i can doit without something going wrong when im done haha i got a gates kit sitting here with the water pump is there any info or tips people have on how to go about it iv seen i should get a new woodruff key and bolt for the harmonic balancer the timing kit came with 2 seals but im not 100% where they go as i havnt pulled it apart yet to have a look is there any thing else i should go an get gaskets seals or what not i wanna hopefully know how to do it before i start im no mechanic but i can read instructions and know how to take my time.

any help would be great
    Last edited by Greytd28; 21st June 2017 at 03:55 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was also gonna say I was a little dissapointed with how my package turned upimage.jpeg

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have the GQ repair manual covering the RD28 engine?

In my case(RB30) Haynes and Gregory's manuals came handy. Factory manual doesn't cover RB30 engine.
    I am not sure about Rd28 on factory manual, but Gregory's diesel GQ manual covers RD28.

I dunno much about diesel engines, but if I have a one I would be doing lot of reading to learn DIY.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was pointed out by blokes in another forum about the need to replace the harmonic balancer/crank pulley bolt.

I thought it is not that important on mine 'cos it is a petrol engine. Diesel may be different.
    I think the crank pulley bolt is not that expensive and IF it is a TTY type in RD28, it may make sense to replace it.
    Last edited by dom14; 24th June 2017 at 09:50 PM.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is my first diesel so I'm learning as I go Iv read a bit of the forum manuals on the rd28 but I'm still not sure on doing the oil seals though if the weathers good tommorow I might start doing it but I'm not getting my hopes up lol

I read here in a few post I should replace the tensioner Spring but havnt found One for sale online so I don't know if I'll be doing that

And with the balancer bolt my cars done 197k I don't know if that makes a difference wether I should get new keys and pulley bolt or not ? What does TTY mean ? I'm not sure why I'd need to replace them if there not damaged but I will if I need to

Also wondering if lock tight 243 is the one to use on the threads

Other than that think I'll be ok haha

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greytd28 View Post
    this is my first diesel so I'm learning as I go Iv read a bit of the forum manuals on the rd28 but I'm still not sure on doing the oil seals though if the weathers good tommorow I might start doing it but I'm not getting my hopes up lol

I read here in a few post I should replace the tensioner Spring but havnt found One for sale online so I don't know if I'll be doing that

And with the balancer bolt my cars done 197k I don't know if that makes a difference wether I should get new keys and pulley bolt or not ? What does TTY mean ? I'm not sure why I'd need to replace them if there not damaged but I will if I need to

Also wondering if lock tight 243 is the one to use on the threads

Other than that think I'll be ok haha
    It's ok to use Loctite 243 I reckon. Just remember, it will need to apply heat somewhere closer to 400-500 celsius to melt Loctite 243. Perhaps better off using a thread sealant that melts with less heat, Loctite Blue for example.

TTY means Torque To Yield, meaning the the bolt slightly twists itself and stays that way instead of returning back to it's original form. Such bolts are meant to be used once only.
    I've been told RD28 crank pulley bolt either is TTY or something else in it that demands replacing it once undone to remove the harmonic balancer/crank pulley. The idea is that if you reuse a TTY bolt, it will keep twisting further and won't hold the same torque as before which effectively weakens the grip and it can come loose in time. Also it might be a good idea to check the tightness of the crank pulley bolt after a week or so of using the new bolt, just to make sure it isn't coming loose.

The normal recommendation is to replace the timing belt using a kit, which includes the tensioner spring & bearing.

In my case(RB30), timing belt is $30 but the kit with bearing and spring is closer to $100. I just replaced the belt only, but in an RD28 with some known issues of crank pulley bolt coming loose, I would use a kit. Just make sure to get an idea of the existing tensioner's tension and duplicate it. I used the idea of being able to twist the installed timing belt 90 degrees without too easily or too hard, to set the belt tension.

Get Gregory's GQ Diesel manual. It's pretty handy to have.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the spring might of been in the kit But if I measure where the pulley and belt are at now and see where it lands with the new belt and just give a tweak to get it about the same do you think that would be ok the belts should all be the same and if the pulley was locked in place when the last belt went on then should be good ?

I started pulling it down today and got to the balancer without any problems bolt came out First go just with breaker bar and in 4th with hand brake on I wouldn't think it was any harder than tighning it up

I borrowed a balancer puller of my mate and had a go but it's on there pretty good so packed up the tools and sprayed the guts out of it with wd40 hopefully it seeps through over night and falls off tommorow lol

It's bit late now to get a new crank bolt washer and keys but I'll order them and redo it later I need a new a/c idler as well The list never ends

I already got the lock tight 243 my mate reckons it'll be ok just use a little bit half way up the thread and wipe it around but he drives a hilux so can't really trust him lol

Fingers crossed it'll all be ok

Thanks for ya replys

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greytd28 View Post
    I thought the spring might of been in the kit But if I measure where the pulley and belt are at now and see where it lands with the new belt and just give a tweak to get it about the same do you think that would be ok the belts should all be the same and if the pulley was locked in place when the last belt went on then should be good ?
    Yeah, I reckon that should do it. Use the 90 degree twisting methods mentioned above to feel the tension of the belt.
    Also the direction of the belt might be important as well. Check that with the replacement one.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah had arrows on it lol

It all went good got it back together now The balancer was the biggest worry but It ended up moving. both the tensioner and idler bearings where noisy and had play in them so I'm glad Iv done it

But yeah I'll have a look and check it all out next weekend and then on to the next job
    Last edited by Greytd28; 25th June 2017 at 11:51 PM.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very informative thanks