OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Brisbane...Prospective Patrol Owner...Also Need An Opinion Or Two

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello from Brisbane...Prospective Patrol Owner...Also Need An Opinion Or Two

Hi to all here.

My name is Karl, and I recently moved up to Brisbane, from Adelaide, after living in NSW for all of my life otherwise.
    I have historically always been into my sports cars, though I built up a touring Hilux Surf years ago, and my current rig is a P.O.S. Wrangler that needs work.
    13 of the 16 cars I've had have been Toyotas, and when I decided to upgrade to a more useable and larger 4X4, it was either going to be a LandCruiser or Patrol.

I have always been part of owners clubs, and, while at the moment I do not know much about the Patrol, I hope that in time, I will become a valuable member to this community.

As the heading says, I haven't actually bought yet, and I am currently between two Patrols. Both have their virtues and faults. I would really appreciate an opinion on them.

First one is an 02 DX 3.0L Turbo Diesel with 286K for $12500. Has rego.
    Chipped, roadworthy, seems mechanically very honest and in good condition.
    Comes with a RT tent, racks, awning, twin drawers, dual spares on a swing out carrier, deep cycle battery, turbo timer, UHF, LED spotties, ARB bullbar.
    Recent fixes have been Timing Belt, Turbo, Water Pump, Injectors, Starter Motor.
    Only issues are a little surface rust in the gutters, and apparently the Accelerator Sensor which requires the entire assembly replaced. The price was dropped to cover this.

Second one is an 05 DX 3.0L Turbo Diesel. 266K on the body, but 16K on the engine. $18000. rego and RWC.
    Brand new engine, turbo, injectors, radiator, clutch, and all hoses.
    Dual batteries, 3" stainless exhaust, 2" lift, air bags, chipped, anderson plug, electric brakes, almost new 33" BFG ATs, drawers, canvas seat covers, UHF, racks, awning, 7" touch screen stereo with GPS and camera.
    Only issue is the dash is bubbled, which seems to be a $2K fix.

The second one is at the top end of what I wanted to spend, and I would still need to do a snorkel, twin carrier, Air Lockers, Compressor, Winch, and get a RT Tent, but that engine package seems to be a smart option.
    The first one is obviously a lot cheaper, and the nearly $6K less would likely mean that I could fix any potential issues, and and get a lot of the things I need for cheaper than the purchase price of the second one...however, at 286K on the engine, short of opening it up, i won't really know much about the internals and who knows how long it will last.

What would be the better option here?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello and welcome to the forum , to me it would make more sense to go the second option because if you leave out the lockers for now the rest of what you want on it are not that expensive depending on brands etc ..

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,264 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome Karl.
    Not sure if you know of the engine issues that have plagued the earlier 3Ltr Patrol motors. They have been nick named the grenade, as they are notorious for dropping the pin and self detonating, by cracking pistons, cylinder heads, head gaskets and what ever else they destroy.
    This is prevalent from the first of the 3Ltr motors in 2000 to about 2004. Some slight engine changes by Nissan seemed to have ironed out most issues but there is still some people with the later Direct Injection motor, up to 2006, who have had their motor grenade. But, this is few and far between.
    The later CRD, or Common Rail motor would be a better choice, but more $$$. You also have the option to go the TD42 4.2Ltr diesel aswell, but the asking price on these are a fair bit higher than the 3Ltr. The 4.2 in stock form is slower than the 3Ltr, but way more reliable and with a few tickles they can get up and boogie.
    You also have the TB45 petty motor, form 1998 to 2002(I think) then they changed to the 185KW powerhouse TB48 petty motor. Both gas guzzlers but both good in their own right.

Out of the two you have chosen I would go the second one, the first is right in the danger zone for being a candidate of the grenade. 2005 is still the Direct Injection motor but out of this danger period. Being a new motor, I dare say it might have dropped the pin prior. Maybe? Maybe not.
    Lockers are not a necessity, more a luxury, there'd be plenty more I would get before a locker. Thats just me though.
    One of the annoyances I really dislike on the 3Ltr motor is their single serpentine belt and auto tensioner. Get water on them, and they squeal their heads off. The idea is great, one belt for everything, but just a bad design on Nissans behalf. If your going to go out bush, I'd keep a spare tensioner and belt, also a Air Flow Meter, because if any of these break, you wont be going anywhere. They are easy to store away. Cheap insurance I reckon.

Good luck in your decision.

One of the many things to look at is the intercooler. If you see oil spots on the core of the cooler, its leaking. So this will need to be replaced. They start from about $350 to buy.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    welcome to the forum Karl
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    G'day mate and welcome to the forum. I tend to agree with @mudski on choosing the second one. I have a 2005 Di motor with 240000 on it and all good so far. The accessories you have listed that don't come with the second one are all bolt ons and can be added one at a time as your wallet permits.
    cheers Tony
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone for their replies.
    I was leaning that way too, better an engine that you (kind of) know as it is almost new, than one that could be anything.
    I have spoken to him, and I should be looking at it to get final decision this afternoon.
    I will update on the result.
    And then will look into the NADS thing that you guys have listed.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    welcome to the forum.
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

Thanks
    Thanked 20,716 Times in 8,560 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum mate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,235 Times in 992 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum mate
    In the words of a Dhuck "QUACK".

Thanks
    Thanked 12,951 Times in 6,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Karl welcome to the forum mat. Id be going the 05

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast