Thanks
    Thanked 2,240 Times in 752 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Your opinion +2" for GU.

Hi folks!
    My bro wants to lift his everyday GU (2001, ZD, Auto) up to 2".
    Available parts:

V1
    Shock absorbers: KYB Skorched
    Front springs: Lovells +50 kg.
    Rear springs: TJM +200 kg.

V2
    Shock absorbers: Profender
    Front springs: Tough dog +300 kg.
    Rear springs: Tough dog +300 kg.

V3
    Shock absorbers: Profender
    Front springs: Lovells +50 kg.
    Rear springs: TJM +200 kg.

Your oppinions will be a good help.
    Last edited by Wine_maker; 15th June 2017 at 02:57 PM.
    I'm Alexander and I'm the happiest owner of GQ Nissan Safari in the whole Central Asia

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think, that +300 kg will be too hard for stock GU .
    I'm Alexander and I'm the happiest owner of GQ Nissan Safari in the whole Central Asia

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have found the 300kg springs too hard when there is no weight in the back, but if he is doing a lot of touring with a lot of weight in the back then they will be fine.

I have a set of Dobinsons flexi coils that give at least an extra 1" droop (maybe closer to 2") without riding hard, I have been totally impressed with them.

What is the overall budget you are working to?
    WARNING: Using a Tow Ball on any Snatch can KILL PEOPLE!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JME_GU For This Useful Post:

Wine_maker (15th June 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,491 Times in 6,596 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    V3 would get my money on that list although is there a reason you are not looking at front and rear springs in the same brand?

+300 on the front! Holy hell!! It would be hideous!

Pro fender shocks are a good quality unit I believe.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,675 Posts
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    V3 would get my money on that list although is there a reason you are not looking at front and rear springs in the same brand?

+300 on the front! Holy hell!! It would be hideous!

Pro fender shocks are a good quality unit I believe.
    I agree. I have 400kgs in the rear with airbags but mine carries a lot of weight, and the springs ride and travel well. The fronts have 110kg coils and they are firm, but still reasonable for the off road stuff I do like high country tracks. I would not go harder than the 110kg for my vehicle fronts, so depending on what the front end load is, 50kgs is a good start. I took my vehicle down to the spring supplier and sorted this out over a number of trial and error fittings. They were excellent - Dobinsons in dandenong.
    Last edited by PeeBee; 15th June 2017 at 07:35 PM. Reason: correction

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To JME_GU: Dobinsons is quite rare here in Kz. Price of all these parts 500-600 USD here.

To MudRunnerTD: There is no front TJM springs in those shop. They said that TJM & Lovells produced in the same factory. So, take what we have or try in another shop.

Also available:
    Front springs: Lovells +50
    Rear springs: Lovells +200

But according to rumors Lovells will sag fast.

In addition to the proposed Tough dog springs. I'm offered a model up to 300 kg, from seller it means that springs no be too hard. Rigidity will be if you put hard shock absorbers, but if you put softer absorbes and ride will be fine. These springs is up to 300 kg. and seller tell me it the simplest of the series, the next types only 300+ and 500+
    Last edited by Wine_maker; 15th June 2017 at 08:46 PM.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,675 Posts
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wine_maker View Post
    To JME_GU: Dobinsons is quite rare here in Kz. Price of all these parts 500-600 USD here.

To MudRunnerTD: There is no front TJM springs in those shop. They said that TJM & Lovells produced in the same factory. So, take what we have or try in another shop.

Also available:
    Front springs: Lovells +50
    Rear springs: Lovells +200

But according to rumors Lovells will sag fast.

In addition to the proposed Tough dog springs. I'm offered a model up to 300 kg, from seller it means that springs no be too hard. Rigidity will be if you put hard shock absorbers, but if you put softer absorbes and ride will be fine. These springs is up to 300 kg. and seller tell me it the simplest of the series, the next types only 300+ and 500+
    If you can purchase progressive rate springs this would be a good compromise. Mine are constant rate, hence stiff from top to bottom. I have 400kg constant on the rear and 110 progressive on the fronts, but still firm. I understand there were issues with lovells Leaf springs back back 20 years ago, unsure on today. I think they offer a GVM kit for Nissan patrols, and would think their springs would need to be up to scratch for that process to be accepted over here.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Wine_maker (16th June 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Winemaker,

I think either 1 or 3 for general use will be fine, and even if the springs do sag in the front, they are relatively cheap to replace again anyway.

I have found that most of the general aftermarket kits offer better ride than the factory standard springs and shocks.
    I have never used the brands mentioned, and tend to use OME or Kings Springs and even after years of use, the sag on both of these brands has been minimal.

I guess it all comes down to adding up what extra weight your brother plans on adding to the vehicle ....
    On the front, generally it will be max. bullbar, extra battery, and winch which probably adds around 120 - 130Kg

On the Rear, it depends on how much gear you want to throw in, steel rear bar, rear winch, extra spare wheel, long range fuel tanks, etc

You will find that depending on your static weight you will have your lift as intended, and the springs will then drop a bit when fully loaded, but not as much as the factory ones anyway
    I.E Your 2 inch lift may drop 1 inch, but your factory springs would drop 1.5 inches anyway, so you will still end up will your 2 inch gain in body clearance.
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...