User Tag List

Thread: DC-AC inverter

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DC-AC inverter

Hi Guys, after setup up my solar system up, I have now connected my 3000w ac inverter. new from box connected to my second battery, plug in ac vacuum in to it, ran great, pulled the plug and the GPO came out as shown in pic. not happy as I has this unit sitting on the shelf for 2 years. anyway glue the plug back in. So I just plug a power board in and just use that as my go to plug regards Alex

20190406_133257.jpg

20190406_170030.jpg
    97 GU Ti 4.5 on lpg , uhf icom Pro400, Garmin GPS Maps, HD-Lukas Dash Cam with gps tracking. Snorkel , I-Max 12000lb Winch , Twin rear light bracket on wheel carrier for light & uhf antenna,Draws unit, Electric Cargo barrier, HID headlights kit, LED Light Bar, 2 inch lift with HD King springs and Monroe Gas Magnum TDT 4WD Shock Absorbers, BS Dueler 697 Lt 285/75R-16 .

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to altech For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (7th April 2019), rusty_nail (6th April 2019), Yeti's Beast (6th April 2019)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi altech,

A few thoughts - do with them as you think best

That the socket pulled out so easily does not bode well for the unit's build quality.

There are reports/anecdotes online suggesting Mishto units are unsafe, even potentially deadly. See for example https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2318966
    i opened it to find the active feed was less than half a millimeter away from contact to the chassis housing.
    i tossed it in the bin. ½ mm from sure death was enough for me .
    Once all over ebay - now try a search for Mishto inverters - none! There's a message in that I reckon.

If it were mine I'd bin it after giving it a good belt with a large hammer to ensure no-one else scavenged it & used it.

On another tack - What do you need such a large rated (3000w) inverter for? - what are you planning to power with it? It seems relatively common that folk in 4x4 circles when fitting inverters seem to go for the biggies, which makes little sense in most instances given that few 4x4's have sufficiently large battery banks to make use of them. Most have a single aux, or maybe 2. I have 3 x 120AH aux batteries & wouldn't dream of connecting a 3000w inverter to them! If using them to power lower wattage appliances it's not uncommon for these large inverters to use as much of your battery's resources to run themselves as they do to run your appliances. Unless a solar system has a large &/or lithium battery bank, & sufficient resources to recharge within a 24 hour period it is at best, in my view wasteful & inefficient use of limited battery power & at worst a surefire battery killer. If you do have a large enough/suitable battery bank & re-charging system then I guess you could run all sorts of 240v power tools, toaster, espresso machine, maybe even air conditioning ..... but if I were doing any of those things I'd sure want a decent quality inverter I felt confident wasn't going to kill me.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 7th April 2019 at 02:10 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

altech (7th April 2019), PeeBee (7th April 2019), the evil twin (7th April 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Hi altech,

A few thoughts - do with them as you think best

That the socket pulled out so easily does not bode well for the unit's build quality.

There are reports/anecdotes online suggesting Mishto units are unsafe, even potentially deadly. See for example https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2318966

Once all over ebay - now try a search for Mishto inverters - none! There's a message in that I reckon.

If it were mine I'd bin it after giving it a good belt with a large hammer to ensure no-one else scavenged it & used it.

On another tack - What do you need such a large rated (3000w) inverter for? - what are you planning to power with it? It seems relatively common that folk in 4x4 circles when fitting inverters seem to go for the biggies, which makes little sense in most instances given that few 4x4's have sufficiently large battery banks to make use of them. Most have a single aux, or maybe 2. I have 3 x 120AH aux batteries & wouldn't dream of connecting a 3000w inverter to them! If using them to power lower wattage appliances it's not uncommon for these large inverters to use as much of your battery's resources to run themselves as they do to run your appliances. Unless a solar system has a large &/or lithium battery bank, & sufficient resources to recharge within a 24 hour period it is at best, in my view wasteful & inefficient use of limited battery power & at worst a surefire battery killer. If you do have a large enough/suitable battery bank & re-charging system then I guess you could run all sorts of 240v power tools, toaster, espresso machine, maybe even air conditioning ..... but if I were doing any of those things I'd sure want a decent quality inverter I felt confident wasn't going to kill me.
    Why the 3000w because it's one that purchased when I had 21 foot half cabin boat, but I sold it before I got to install, So been sitting on shelf. Thanks for the info about cheap inverters, will open it up and check wiring just to be safe. the unit is on it's own circuit breaker. cheers Alex
    97 GU Ti 4.5 on lpg , uhf icom Pro400, Garmin GPS Maps, HD-Lukas Dash Cam with gps tracking. Snorkel , I-Max 12000lb Winch , Twin rear light bracket on wheel carrier for light & uhf antenna,Draws unit, Electric Cargo barrier, HID headlights kit, LED Light Bar, 2 inch lift with HD King springs and Monroe Gas Magnum TDT 4WD Shock Absorbers, BS Dueler 697 Lt 285/75R-16 .

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,675 Posts
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Cuppa makes some good points I reckon. I run a 3500w constant/10000w surge pure sine wave inverter in my truck and have it powered off 440 a/hr of battery bank and being topped up using a 200amp alternator in order to keep the depth of discharge to a minimum whilst using the life sustaining coffee machine! I dont run the coffee machine without the truck running. This unit will also run any manner of power tools up to 15amps, however most hand tools are rated well below 10amp anyway allowing for start up surge. It is a mid range cost wise unit and never had a problem with it. I had the wave form checked and whilst its not lab power supply quality, its more than adequate to run a laptop thru the switch mode power supply. I guess you really need to do a check on the construction as noted to ensure there are no crappy connections internally.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Guys, checked out the invertor and everything seems to be fine, e.g. nothing touching the body or other wires. on a plus side I added 100amp breaker to main 12v pos(+) wire.

20190425_151709.jpg

9. The Following User Says Thank You to altech For This Useful Post:

threedogs (26th April 2019)