Thread: All Things Chev

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,675 Posts
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will have to defer to Brunswick Diesel on that one as they have told me not to go that route as they have had 3 vehicles return to them with problems, attributed to the temp flow modules. I know we are talking about the exact opposite circumstances, however, if the oil is designed to lubricate at these temps, and you are only doing this duty of service once or twice a year, I am not convinced you have a need for them. From last years snow dump trip I found the vehicle was up to operating temp in around 5 minutes of fast idle. Remember you have a 160kw combustion process generating heat and the oil will get hot. Temp gauges are notoriously inaccurate and certainly in those sorts of conditions we all warm the engine up before putting it under load. Regards your additional radiators, for me, in the spot you are going to mount them, you may have problems with keeping them mud and water/dust free on the summer trips, not to mention winter trips when they could ball up completely. I find the wings of my bullbar accumulates mud with a vengeance from the front tyres. I went this extrusion profile as they can be cleaned with a stick, and located mine out in the open for great access and airflow. If you proceed with the core and fin style, I would install a couple of spray nozzles to give them a flush when they clog up.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (30th December 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 4,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Phil, all perfect points for me to seriously consider as you have already well thought out thoroughly as always mate!
    FOR SALE: 2 x Serco oil coolers & 1 x Derale mechanical oil TS still in boxes, come with free cobwebs :-)
    Are still keen though to see what BD reckon about the Derale unit as one of its reasons for my original purchase was for fast warm up times to get out in the paddock next door or down to our factory only 5 minutes away.
    Maybe I should look at a remote keyless start for the beast like the big awesome yanky tanks do out their kitchen windows whilst having their morning cuppa :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @PeeBee Philstar, 1 x copy cat purchase on same $125 Ebay bargain order now :-) !
    Was totally sold once seeing that cooler on the weekend mate, very smicko, even AB’s impressed too possibly for his TD42Ti beast as well :-)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will be happy with the result.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (3rd January 2018)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thermo valve update. BD story has changed - how surprising! Seems they have only seen one vehicle with this modification and the symptoms suggest the internal thermostat or pressure relief mechanism (unsure how this device works) is faulty as the engine oil gets hot but the additional cooler stays cold. This diagnosis happened before Xmas and the customer has gone away and not reported back if he has gotten to the root cause of the issue. So, in theory the device should be fine to install - would pay to check on the temperature threshold it is supposed to work at or pressure it should release at so you can validate the range is correct for your vehicle. I understand you are ideally looking for an oil temp around the 190F/89 degC mark as max into the cooler. You could simply run the cooler like I do, without a control, or install the valve and see how it goes. The valve could always be added later if you are unhappy. The valve may be your 'flux capacitor' device to give you the added HP you are looking for!!!!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (4th January 2018)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    @PeeBee Philstar, 1 x copy cat purchase on same $125 Ebay bargain order now :-) !
    Was totally sold once seeing that cooler on the weekend mate, very smicko, even AB’s impressed too possibly for his TD42Ti beast as well :-)

@MB, Don't forget to add the extra oil to the sump when you fit the cooler up. When the engine is stopped the oil will drain back to the sump, hence it will appear to be over full. As soon as the engine starts, the oil pump will distribute this into the cooling circuit and your sump level will return to normal. Thinking about the thermo valve then, if it does not let the oil travel to the new extended cooler circuit, then the sump is going to have approx 2L of oil higher than full in it - might be a problem with over filling that much - don't really know. Of course if the oil cooler circuit with the thermo valve is fitted with check valves of some description to hold the 'cold oil' in place within the aux oil cooler circuit, then you are back at the normal parameters for the sump level - make sense?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (4th January 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    FWIW I always overfill my sump for the same reason IE the oil cooler and lines "uses" some of the sump capacity.

I would not fit a thermo valve here in Oz for the reasons already discussed, if the vehicle spent its winter in Alaska/Canada/Russia etc then maybe different story
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

MB (4th January 2018)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    FWIW I always overfill my sump for the same reason IE the oil cooler and lines "uses" some of the sump capacity.

I would not fit a thermo valve here in Oz for the reasons already discussed, if the vehicle spent its winter in Alaska/Canada/Russia etc then maybe different story
    I agree, and funny thing was, i was on the phone to MB discussing this and your point - so I think he is going to leave it out.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (4th January 2018), the evil twin (4th January 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers blokes!
    All makes very good sense above, thankyou:-)
    Even in our deepest winter up here lowest paddock temp is around -3D so no snow just frost.
    FWIW here is the unit collecting cobwebs in the shed still: https://derale.com/products/fluid-co...-chrome-detail
    Phil mate I cannot seem to find the 10% bypass always information on it I thought so maybe it is a fail shut situation waiting to happen?
    Good save blokes, Double Cheers!!

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Cheers blokes!
    All makes very good sense above, thankyou:-)
    Even in our deepest winter up here lowest paddock temp is around -3D so no snow just frost.
    FWIW here is the unit collecting cobwebs in the shed still: https://derale.com/products/fluid-co...-chrome-detail
    Phil mate I cannot seem to find the 10% bypass always information on it I thought so maybe it is a fail shut situation waiting to happen?
    Good save blokes, Double Cheers!!

The 10% is mentioned in the video. The 10% ensures you always have a flow thru the cooler so there is no hammer effect as the valve lifts off its seat to send the remaining 90% of flow thru it. You were not dreaming!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (4th January 2018)

Page 91 of 135 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast