Thread: Introducing DavesStuff - Innovative Camping Gear That Works

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PBBIZ2 View Post
    Thanks for having a look Bazzaboy and commenting - all valuable info. Question though, can you make or cook pizza's in either of your devices and or can you smoke infuse in either of them? It' s important for me to understand if there are any other systems out there that can do everything the Combi Oven can. I am not even attempting to turn this into some sort of marketing joust, but am curious to understand how you validate these items would 'do just as good a job'.

To be honest if I had invested in what you have already it would be a significant Challenge to swap ships, as you have said. Look forward to hearing back from you, would appreciate it.
    Thanks PHIL
    Hi PHIL,
    I have cooked many pizza's in my Cobb with great success. The Cobb has a built in water "moat" which allows you to keep meat moist or flavored simply by adding wine, garlic, etc ....
    When cooking pizzas I can add various wood chips to the fire pit to infuse various flavors into the pizza. I like experimenting to see what flavors I can achieve.
    2014 Titanium Y61 with all the fruit ................

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    G'day Phil,

Your product certainly looks extremely well made so big Kudos for that.

One of the major issues here in W.A. is camp fire/solid fuel fire bans over many parts of the State for about 6 months of the year (usually Nov to April) or even longer.
    When in effect only Gas Cooking is permitted.

Does the oven lend itself to use with a Gas Ring or similar?

I also have a Cobb and agree with Bazzaboy, however I will add that the Cob can be a PIA to clean
    Last edited by the evil twin; 12th October 2016 at 11:47 AM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Interesting conversations. Please bear in mind guys that Phil is a New Vendor supporting our forum and New to the market with his Aussie made and designed bit of kit.

I too have a COBB with most of the attachments. I like it on the most part but it too is Bloody expensive. I got mine on Sale or i would not own it. add to it each of the add ons and your spending some cash. about double what my wife thinks it cost me

Things i don't like about my COBB. ITS BLOODY ROUND! Its complex to Pack Up and still fit in its bag with all the bits. Its quite big and a pain to pack around in the car. it can be a little noisy in the back of the car on rough tracks.

So having a good look at the pics on www.davesstuff.net and breaking it down into Size and functionality, i actually reckon this is bloody good kit. If i did not own a COBB already id be giving this a bloody good look.

So here is my breakdown desktop review of this item.

• Its Square
    • its packed up size is 350 x 350 x 200h
    • like a COBB it alll packs into itself
    • It will function using Heat Beads
    • It will function on top of your fire
    • It looks like it will pump out Pizzas at Camp or at Home
    • It looks like it will still be around when my great grand kids are camping on the moon.
    • Coals On Top

So it looks like the fire box is undersize and slides into the pizza oven space to pack up. I assume you could have your fire inside the Pizza draw and cook on top.

The fire box will take heat beads or over the fire. Phil is the Tray in the photos in the snow part of the kit? if the tray is part of it then its safe to use in WA during fire season as @the evil twin asked.

You can cook a Stew on top of the unit in the big pot which is much bigger than the one in my COBB.

Its square and TINY! 350 x 350 x 200 is like half a Milk Crate! Im liking it ALLOT!

Yes its up there is price guys but i can see where the money has gone. This is a great bit of gear.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 12th October 2016 at 03:31 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

AB (12th October 2016), Clunk (12th October 2016), jack (12th October 2016)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Interesting conversations. Please bear in mind guys that Phil is a New Vendor supporting our forum and New to the market with his Aussie made and designed bit of kit.

I too have a COBB with most of the attachments. I like it on the most part but it too is Bloody expensive. I got mine on Sale or i would not own it. add to it each of the add ons and your spending some cash. about double what my wife thinks it cost me

Things i don't like about my COBB. ITS BLOODY ROUND! Its complex to Pack Up and still fit in its bag with all the bits. Its quite big and a pain to pack around in the car. it can be a little noisy in the back of the car on rough tracks.

So having a good look at the pics on www.davesstuff.net and breaking it down into Size and functionality, i actually reckon this is bloody good kit. If i did not own a COBB already id be giving this a bloody good look.

So here is my breakdown desktop review of this item.

• Its Square
    • its packed up size is 350 x 350 x 200h
    • like a COBB it alll packs into itself
    • It will function using Heat Beads
    • It will function on top of your fire
    • It looks like it will pump out Pizzas at Camp or at Home
    • It looks like it will still be around when my great grand kids are camping on the moon.
    • Coals On Top

So it looks like the fire box is undersize and slides into the pizza oven space to pack up. I assume you could have your fire inside the Pizza draw and cook on top.

The fire box will take heat beads or over the fire. Phil is the Tray in the photos in the snow part of the kit? if the tray is part of it then its safe to use in WA during fire season as @the evil twin asked.

You can cook a Stew on top of the unit in the big pot which is much bigger than the one in my COBB.

Its square and TINY! 350 x 350 x 200 is like half a Milk Crate! Im liking it ALLOT!

Yes its up there is price guys but i can see where the money has gone. This is a great bit of gear.
    I might have to think about putting you the payroll MudrunnerTd - you are very good at this marketing stuff - far better than me!

Its interesting to hear the feedback both for and against. I will never turn any conversation into a slanging match about a competitors product line as each person has found enough faith and worth in the product to buy it, and since i can't compare, i simply accept that these devices do things differently and as suppliers we are trying to find points of difference to steer someone towards your own product line.
    The biggest issue I am hearing is price. Well, simply put i need to make a profit to be around to fund the next batch and the next batch etc. The issue for me is finding the cost point that makes this worthwhile and does not drop me into a hole everytime I order the parts. The one off deal I have offered for the AB engine project is below my actual cost. I am simply stating this as a peg in the sand. The reduced price offer for financial sponsors eats into the margin. All pieces of this jigsaw have to be paid for in advance of any likely sale - its a reality of any business to have to deal with this. For me, the funds have come from savings, and I need to recoup them. What I would put to members is that if they have a genuine desire to own one of these systems, drop me a PM with an offer and we can start the conversation. I know what my break even point is, but thats not where I am going to sell at either because there is 4 yrs of unpaid R&D to consider apart from the cost of development.

So guys, don't interpret this as some moan from a supplier crying poor - I aint poor, but I also am not doing this to subsidize the world either. I recognise that those of you who already invested in significant priced items might be struggling to convince themselves this offers enough good points or improvements to jump ship - I simply can't give you that justification, especially based on the comments about how well the other system seems to perform. It would be great if you could try this in advance but that just isn't possible. All I can say is that the system is simple, robust, cooks beautifully, and yes you can turn perfectly good food into crap with it too if you don't pay attention. I like it and every person who has come into contact with it in the flesh likes it, and some have even bought the system from me on that basis.

Right now, I am focused on the sale of the engine rebuild oven. If I don't sell another oven to members on this forum apart from this one, i will still be happy, so perhaps get together as a group and tip in for one collectively, try it - you have absolutely nothing to lose.
    Questions
    The heating system is either heatbeads or fire coals on top and bottom. i have not tried gas but think it won't be successful for a number of reasons. The bottom of the chamber only would get heated and you really need that total heat zone top and bottom. One of my mates bought a system and despite using the oven on a number of occasions took his home, only used heatbeads under the oven then rang me up moaning about the oven being a dud. I quickly worked out he wasn't heating the top, and next time, bingo, success. I find heatbeads are great for the pot cooked activities and coals best for pizza's. Smoking works well with either fuel.

The system has a fire box on the ground, insulating cooking chamber for direct cooking of pizzas, or for insertion of the pot into the insulating box. i am calling the 350sq box the insulating box as you end up with a buffered zone of hot air between the outside and the pot, which is heated from below, and then from above with the trays. Whether you slide the smoker tray in between is your choice. I have not tried to cook using the insulated box as the burner box - The external base burner box/tray is designed to fit around the pot so you would have difficulty supporting the camp pot, plus you are not going to get the 360 degree air feed into the coals under the insulated box. This is a significant feature of the system because traditional camp ovens smother the coals they are placed on, thus relying on constant fiddling and loading up coals on the sides and top of the oben lid - you might only have to do one adjustment/yop up to the coals on the lid to cook a roast or 6-8 pizzas.

So, I appreciate having the conversation being alive and interactive and am listening. Thanks guys.

Lastly the tray under the oven was formed up specifically for that trip as i knew the snow would melt and turn to water. Its actually a valid point you raise and I will say that I would be be receptive to supply the tray on the first 6 for the prices advertised, but just as long as its recognised this is another hit on the margin - the next lot will be additional - no idea on how much as i have yet to make the first 6.

Thats it for now, come back as you see fit - all comments welcome.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

AB (12th October 2016), Clunk (12th October 2016), jack (12th October 2016), MudRunnerTD (12th October 2016), the evil twin (12th October 2016), Touses (13th October 2016), TPC (13th October 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have you made any vids of it being used?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Clunk For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (13th October 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    Have you made any vids of it being used?
    Yeah that would certainly be awesome. i clicked on each of the photos on the webpage looking for an embedded link to something. Only needs to be a 1minute vid showing you unpacking and packing it up for a start. another cooking would be great.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,246 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For sure TD !
    I'm already theorising a slab of pork belly in a foil tray atop of a warm pizza stone, swimming in a broth of Coke & brown sugar whilst the upper skin deliberately crackles from white hot ironbark above :-)
    Ooh, and it looks too easy to lift the front guillotine door half way through the cook to throw in some veggies for good measure!!

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Yeah that would certainly be awesome. i clicked on each of the photos on the webpage looking for an embedded link to something. Only needs to be a 1minute vid showing you unpacking and packing it up for a start. another cooking would be great.
    Yep and me being a complete novice when it comes to cooking on anything but a camp stove, it would be a handy thing indeed

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Clunk For This Useful Post:

MB (13th October 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,246 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just thought of another dish for us maybe possible for the system Mr Clunk! Paella; traditionally/deliberately burn the base and ease the top :-)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Interesting conversations. Please bear in mind guys that Phil is a New Vendor supporting our forum and New to the market with his Aussie made and designed bit of kit."

MudRunner,

I am well aware that Phil is a new supporting vendor and is trying to promote his Aussie made and designed product, but thank you for reminding me. I support his enthusiasm and drive to move forward with it, by asking the right questions and views from prospective customers. As a businessmen, this is the only way to improve your product, gauge satisfaction, and make sales.

But please note, my response was an answer to the question he asked. When asked a question or opinion, I will always try to give an actuate & an unbiased answer to whoever asks it.

No offense is intended or taken with this comment.

Bazzaboy
    Last edited by bazzaboy; 13th October 2016 at 03:17 PM.
    2014 Titanium Y61 with all the fruit ................

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bazzaboy For This Useful Post:

Clunk (13th October 2016), Mike02Ti (26th April 2017)

Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast