Results 3,501 to 3,510 of 5639

Thread: What did you buy today

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Cant see any time when a Gennie would be required at camp, with all the solar
    and LED technology out there there is no point,
    My first camp light was an indicator globe with a reflector made from a beer can,
    after that I used 12v down lights, this was well over 20 yrs ago.
    Sound travels at night so no matter how quiet you think it is ,,,it will annoy some one
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have a little Honda Eu10i. Bought it as an impulse buy when travelling, carried all round Australia & only used it to keep the crank battery charged for a couple of weeks when the alternator died. It is probably the quietest gennie out there, but even so, in the quiet of the bush it is noticeable. When camped near others I always approached neighbours to explain I would need to run it for a while, no-one ever objected but were generally appreciative of the approach & understanding of our dilemma. Whenever we turned it off it the quiet just came flooding back! It was useful until we got a replacement alternator, but we’ve never taken it away camping since. Solar + dc to dc charging gives us all the power we need to run two fridges plus various other bits & pieces indefinitely.

Carrying a gennie is a reasonable solution for some, & bearable by those who are their camping neighbours if used with consideration. Running it at night just to power a 240v light globe is not reasonable! Running it during the day to top up a battery is far more acceptable. Note however that the 12v output that most gennies have are inadequate for battery charging, generally the voltage is insuffient to charge a battery & that is not what it is intended for. For battery charging with a gennie a 240v mains charger is generally needed.

Regarding noise, an increase in decibels does not equate to a linear increase in noise. The 67 to 72 decibels of that Ryobi gennie is not just a little louder than the likes of a Honda EU10i (52 dB), it’s a *lot* louder. The level of noise doubles for every 3 db increase! (There is more to it than that though - if interested see http://www.noisehelp.com/decibel-scale.html). This video gives a comparison between the dB of several generators - I sure wouldn’t want to be camped next to a 72dB one on full load!
    Last edited by Cuppa; 11th March 2017 at 09:59 AM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    brought a spare paper air filter to use when I remove my K&N for cleaning.

Ive stayed at camps when ppl have dug a hole placed their
    genset in the hole and covered with a piece of Corrigated iron.
    YOU CAN STILL HEAR THEM NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO.
    Should be banned from 1600hrs on to say 0800hrs fair for all
    not just the greedy ppl

Thanks
    Thanked 6,404 Times in 2,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mostly agree with the comments about Generators and whilst I have a 2KVA Gennie I have not used it Camping.
    If I was on a extended trip I might take it for a Back up.

What really annoys me is Doof Doof Music in the middle of the Night whilst Camping in the Bush.

Take your bloody Ear Plugs so you don't annoy anyone else.

Yes I am a Cranky old Bastard LMAO

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (14th March 2017), threedogs (14th March 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Nothing better than sitting around a fire with some good friends and
    Johnny Cash or Kenny Rogers in the back ground.
    Not a fan of musical instruments at camp either lol
    Last edited by threedogs; 15th March 2017 at 11:38 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    brought a spare paper air filter to use when I remove my K&N for cleaning.

Ive stayed at camps when ppl have dug a hole placed their
    genset in the hole and covered with a piece of Corrigated iron.
    YOU CAN STILL HEAR THEM NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO.
    Should be banned from 1600hrs on to say 0800hrs fair for all
    not just the greedy ppl
    This works if you fill the hole in before putting the corrigated iron on top.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

threedogs (14th March 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Mostly agree with the comments about Generators and whilst I have a 2KVA Gennie I have not used it Camping.
    If I was on a extended trip I might take it for a Back up.

What really annoys me is Doof Doof Music in the middle of the Night whilst Camping in the Bush.

Take your bloody Ear Plugs so you don't annoy anyone else.

Yes I am a Cranky old Bastard LMAO
    X 2 ...... and I don't think we are cranky old bastards, just normal old pharts who want to enjoy the serenity.
    Time Marches On .....and on ..... and on

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TimE For This Useful Post:

Bob (14th March 2017), threedogs (14th March 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought 1 Kincrome 4000 kg (its lift capacity not weight !) bottle jack from SCA for $55. Discovered on a recent trip where rear tyre was shredded that Nissan jack couldn't lift the axle high enough, needed another jack to get the axle up high enough so Nissan jack could slide under shock mount then lift wheel high enough off ground to fit spare. Was on a nasty bit of track with little room to maneuver and no flat rocks to drive onto!
    Time Marches On .....and on ..... and on

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TimE For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (14th March 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,917 Times in 2,750 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    I also have a little Honda Eu10i. Bought it as an impulse buy when travelling, carried all round Australia & only used it to keep the crank battery charged for a couple of weeks when the alternator died. It is probably the quietest gennie out there, but even so, in the quiet of the bush it is noticeable. When camped near others I always approached neighbours to explain I would need to run it for a while, no-one ever objected but were generally appreciative of the approach & understanding of our dilemma. Whenever we turned it off it the quiet just came flooding back! It was useful until we got a replacement alternator, but we’ve never taken it away camping since. Solar + dc to dc charging gives us all the power we need to run two fridges plus various other bits & pieces indefinitely.

Carrying a gennie is a reasonable solution for some, & bearable by those who are their camping neighbours if used with consideration. Running it at night just to power a 240v light globe is not reasonable! Running it during the day to top up a battery is far more acceptable. Note however that the 12v output that most gennies have are inadequate for battery charging, generally the voltage is insuffient to charge a battery & that is not what it is intended for. For battery charging with a gennie a 240v mains charger is generally needed.

Regarding noise, an increase in decibels does not equate to a linear increase in noise. The 67 to 72 decibels of that Ryobi gennie is not just a little louder than the likes of a Honda EU10i (52 dB), it’s a *lot* louder. The level of noise doubles for every 3 db increase! (There is more to it than that though - if interested see http://www.noisehelp.com/decibel-scale.html). This video gives a comparison between the dB of several generators - I sure wouldn’t want to be camped next to a 72dB one on full load!
    I want that last one. Should be able to run the sandwich toaster, 60" tele, surround sound, splitties, deep fryer for snacks and full sized coffee machine. . . Actually on second thoughts might need a couple of KV Kubota, now that's camping . . .

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Nothing better than sitting around a fire with some good friends and
    Johnny Cash or Kenny rodgers in the back ground.
    Not a fan of musical instruments at camp eitherlol
    Geez threedogs I think I'd move closer to the doof doof than listen to country and western !

Page 351 of 564 FirstFirst ... 251301341349350351352353361401451 ... LastLast