Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ZD30 Turbo turbine cleanup

Hi mates,

I've been busy with my Patrol last two days. The car is losing power after 2500 rpm and enters in a limp mode. I have the EGR blocked and I already clean the MAF sensor, but I don't have any other NADS in place, not a boost gauge nor a catch can... So, basically I started looking at the turbo and found that it was stuck... the turbo VNT lever was not moving at all. So I take it off the car and started the cleanup... I found a lot black dust there blocking a free moving of the pieces inside... I clean it all with WD-40 and a toothbrush... also 1000 grit sandpaper. The problem I'm having is when I assembling the parts back... after setting the nozzle ring back if the nuts that keep the ring to the chamber(yellow) are too tight it will block the free movement of the ring and the expected correct working of it. Also, after putting back the turbine to the core of the turbo if the external screws are also tight the VNT not moves at all (Red).

Please see image here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxg...ew?usp=sharing

Any help will be more that welcomed.

Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,239 Times in 641 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're a braver man than me brother. That shite looks like bad juju. Perhaps a forum witchdoctor can cast the bones to help you out. @nissannewby
    I AM NOT STUBBORN.........I prefer the term, Singlemindedly independent !

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi mates,

Well good news, I was able to put it back together. I had to use a 500 grit sandpaper to remove a layer of dirt and rust that was attached to the bottom of the turbine case where the VNT ring sits and also sand a lever that was stuck when moving the ring... and it works like charm for the inner parts... on the outside screws I decided to tight them like a wheel... I picked one from left side and the screw that was in front of it... and while adjusting the torque by hand I was moving the VNT lever to make sure not to over adjust them. The turbo is moving like new. I still need to change exhaust gaskets from manifold and turbo for a fill test I'll let you know guys how it works after all.

Here is how the VNT looks after cleanup: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx...JUdmsxcTIwUjh3

Greetings from Costa Rica(Central America)!
    Last edited by celoaiza; 1st October 2017 at 12:15 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,239 Times in 641 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great outcome bloke. I'll cancel that Drs' appointment for you.
    I AM NOT STUBBORN.........I prefer the term, Singlemindedly independent !