Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Rear view mirror "replacement" reverse camera screen

Curious, does anybody here have a reverse camera screen on the rear view mirror?? If so, is it a complete mirror replacement, or does it just "clip onto" the original mirror???
    Ive seen the clip on variety and it just ends up looking bulky I hate it.
    Today I saw one on a GU Ute and it was a complete mirror replacement .it looked like it bolted right up to the original 2 bolts... I asked the bloke and he said he bought the car like that, so he dont know where it came from.

I really liked it !!!
    2005 TD42TI

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a version that clips ontpo the existing mirror. Its not much larger than the mirror, however you would appreciate a bigger screen anyway, and is on the whole time so I get a view out the back. Couple of issue though. It is not great when someone is driving with their lights on behind you. I have two cameras, one a colour that has a low light threshold and another that is IR. The camera is essentially useless in the dark - the colour one. I have not tried the IR unit as yet. My camera in use now is one of the factory units supplied with the GPS - HEMA - bloody dear at the time, but I am sure better ones are avail now at 1/10th the cost. I find it is useful for general daylight hours, works well for backing up with the big reverse lights I have. It was a cheapie - @Cuppa actually put me onto it - sorry, at the mine right now so can't check which make/model it is. There is also a work around with the config to get the image on the right side of the screen - it comes out configured to reverse the image - weird when you are driving along in the LH lane and a car looks like it is overtaking you on a lane that does not exist. Mine can be wireless or hard wired - I went hard wired, its been ok but do an excellent job with the cables from the start or you will have issues with comms - took me a while a couple of times to sort mine out. I think the unit was about $100, maybe less and that was 3 yrs ago.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Hodge (2nd March 2019)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks @PeeBee
    "Always on" is what I'm after. Which is why i dont want to hook up the rev. cam. to my radio screen. I'm just used to always on cams from driving large trucks and trailers at work as I like to "see" as much as possible.
    This is something I'd like to invest into properly. I'm not after a cheapo / ebay unit this time around.

My Pioneer camera died not long ago, and I had to re-position it anyway due to adding the swing away arms to my rear bar so, while at it i might as well do it properly.
    Wireless i wont even look at. Wired or nothing. I already have power wires going up to the mirror area so i wont have ugly ciggie lighter cables anywhere. This unit i go for will be hard wired power and camera. Nice and neat. I'm struggling to find a nice unit though. "Most" are clip on variety.
    2005 TD42TI

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once its clipped on you hardly notice it - its not like you are hanging a 26" CRT TV from the windscreen!!! Anyway, keep looking, I am sure you will find something, and no doubt if you are looking at a high end device - even better I am sure. I know the cameras come in different field of angle. I have the 160 deg unit and its not great for depth of field I found. I think I read somewhere the smaller angled units, like 35 deg are better - really @Cuppa has all this nailed - just have to wait until he comes in from polishing his coconuts!

I have something like this, but see there are slim line units for sale also - which were not on the market at the time.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/7-TFT-LC...l2m:rk:11:pf:0
    Last edited by PeeBee; 2nd March 2019 at 04:00 PM.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    Once its clipped on you hardly notice it - its not like you are hanging a 26" CRT TV from the windscreen!!! Anyway, keep looking, I am sure you will find something, and no doubt if you are looking at a high end device - even better I am sure. I know the cameras come in different field of angle. I have the 160 deg unit and its not great for depth of field I found. I think I read somewhere the smaller angled units, like 35 deg are better - really @Cuppa has all this nailed - just have to wait until he comes in from polishing his coconuts!

I have something like this, but see there are slim line units for sale also - which were not on the market at the time.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/7-TFT-LCD-Monitor-Night-Vision-Reverse-Camera-Mirror-Wireless-Car-Rear-View-Kit/272707394449?epid=4026935340&hash=item3f7ea09b91:gA0AAOSwA~VaCl2m:rk:11f:0

Thanks again Phil.

I should have elaborated a bit more. Clip on variations, don't bother me with screen size as such. Larger screen view the better. What bothers me is the thickness of the whole camera coupled with the mirror its clipped on, brings the while unit closer to the driver.
    I tested a Kogan unit at work, and once clipped on, it all becomes right in your face! I know it doesnt sound like much... But im not a fan of it. To me it feels a little too close and distracting.
    Hence why I am after a complete replacement unit.
    As a last resort I might have to get a clip on camera and somehow frankenstein it to the original mirror bracket or bolt holes.

Edit:
    The unit you posted (eBay) is identical to the Kogan version.
    https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/kogan-w...ersing-camera/

Love the screen size, its just super thick coupled with the mirror.
    2005 TD42TI

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hodgey, when I get home, could be a while though, I will take a photo, from memory it does stick out very far at all, however maybe the windscreen slope and seating positions on the GQ are greatly different to the GU?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Had one hated it especially on corrigated roads, I do have a camera hooked up but yet to use it
    as pretty good judging the front and back of the patrol. I did however fit an extended rearview mirrow. about 10" x 3", I think
    love it. if you want to come for a drive its just sitting here with a pile of other failed ideas. Could post?? Mine is the clip on version
    Last edited by threedogs; 2nd March 2019 at 04:50 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting, I dont recall this with mine, but I guess its happening, probably more focused on whats in front than behind to be bothered looking!!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had one that clipped on and everytime I drove off road the weight would tilt the mirror down. I tried to tighten the ball pivot but that did not work.

I ended up getting a complete replacement with a camera built in that looks forward (crash cam). It also has another input that normally hooks up to a reversing camera but I wired it to the camera on the rear of the caravan, and via a switch I can turn this camera permanently on. Its a bit weired sometimes when towing because you look in the mirror - see straight out the back - and for an instant think you have lost the caravan! It really works very well.

I could not get one that fitted to the GU mirror attachment so I bought one that has a "foot" that glues onto the windscreen and the mirror attaches to it.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillsGU For This Useful Post:

Hodge (2nd March 2019), mudski (2nd March 2019), rusty_nail (2nd March 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsGU View Post
    I had one that clipped on and everytime I drove off road the weight would tilt the mirror down. I tried to tighten the ball pivot but that did not work.

I ended up getting a complete replacement with a camera built in that looks forward (crash cam). It also has another input that normally hooks up to a reversing camera but I wired it to the camera on the rear of the caravan, and via a switch I can turn this camera permanently on. Its a bit weired sometimes when towing because you look in the mirror - see straight out the back - and for an instant think you have lost the caravan! It really works very well.

I could not get one that fitted to the GU mirror attachment so I bought one that has a "foot" that glues onto the windscreen and the mirror attaches to it.
    mate, useful info, but i want to congratulate you, almost 9 years on the forum and only 1K posts. i havent bee around that long but that is awesome your here mate. i believe i have read your posts occasionally but think it was on tappa, so i dont see the important deets!!!
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast