Thread: Diesel hard to start hot.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Diesel hard to start hot.

Hi all, my first post here. Have a '06 4.2 TD intercooled with 175000 km. Starts fine when cold or luke warm, once up to operating temp., often starts only after about 30 secs. or varying degrees in betwen. Has power to glow plugs, fuel filter primer is full. Will fire immediately if turned off and back on, but not after any significant period. Has heaps of grunt, so not a compression issue. Not overfuelling as no chaff out the back on acceleration. Emits white fumes ( unburnt fuel) on startup after long cranking episodes. Once it fires, settles down immediately. Any ideas??

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G/day Pat welcome to the forum mate & don't forget to stop at introductions & tell us a bit about yourself.

I can't help im sorry to say but your topic is an interesting one cos this is not the first time I've read about this.
    One guy I read about has had his back to Nissan a number of times with the same issue & he reported Nissan as saying a number of times that thay could not find anything wrong with his truck so I hope someone here can shed some light on it for you.

Cheers
    Paul

Thanks
    Thanked 20,716 Times in 8,560 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Could be a timing issue or a slow starter mate.

I'm thinking possibly the starter, as a quick tester you could take it apart, grease it and try that first and let us know.

There's a few other things that could be possibly causing it but as a quick test method, try that and let us know Pat.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Could be a timing issue or a slow starter mate.

I'm thinking possibly the starter, as a quick tester you could take it apart, grease it and try that first and let us know
    Reckon I can rule that one out. It has a brand new 710 CCA battery cranks well and is starting straight up cold. And I mean COLD. Try -2C yesterday.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    mmm....What about the injector pump?

When she's hot and you know It's going to struggle to start again slowly pour cold water at the back of the injector for a minute.

Pretty sure 4.2's are mechanical not electrical.

If it starts straight up or much quicker then it normally does when its hot you may have issues there.

Could be worth a shot anyway mate for a bit of trial and error.

It's going to be an elimination process unfortunately Pat.

Anyone else is welcome to throw ideas in???

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took the truck to professionals last week. No fault codes came up, all were subsequently reset. Further delving discovered that the glow relay was not activating when engine was warm. They managed to get it apart, despite it not being a serviceable unit, and found a wire broken going to the coil in the relay. Soldered up and all good!! Important to note that glow plug indicator light gets its power from a different source to what goes to the plugs !

Thanks
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by portal pat View Post
    Took the truck to professionals last week. No fault codes came up, all were subsequently reset. Further delving discovered that the glow relay was not activating when engine was warm. They managed to get it apart, despite it not being a serviceable unit, and found a wire broken going to the coil in the relay. Soldered up and all good!! Important to note that glow plug indicator light gets its power from a different source to what goes to the plugs !
    Thanks for getting back to us mate.

There's been a few relay issues from people lately, another thread here recently was the battery relay and it took Nissan techs a week to figure it out.

Important to note that glow plug indicator light gets its power from a different source to what goes to the plugs !
    Interesting...Not the best idea when trying to isolate problems.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's an old thread but I have recently purchased an 06 4.2 flat tray and I'm having the same trouble. Mainly it takes longer to start when it hot. The plunger is tight to pump and even when pumped a few times it makes no difference. I just serviced it and replace the fuel filter with a new ryco so it's good quality there. After it finally starts it blows a little bit of smoke but not heaps. Someone help cause I'm buggered if I know

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassie4wder View Post
    It's an old thread but I have recently purchased an 06 4.2 flat tray and I'm having the same trouble. Mainly it takes longer to start when it hot. The plunger is tight to pump and even when pumped a few times it makes no difference. I just serviced it and replace the fuel filter with a new ryco so it's good quality there. After it finally starts it blows a little bit of smoke but not heaps. Someone help cause I'm buggered if I know
    My Patrol has gone now but I sussed what the problem was with mine eventually and it was expensive. When the IP gets hot tolerances internally get loose to the point where it won't pump hot diesel from a starting position. This is because the viscosity of the diesel drops as the temperature of the fuel rises. It can cope once running but won't pick it up from a stop. When the motor is cool, viscosity increases and all seems good......till next time!!! The only cure is an IP pump rebuild, and throw in some new injectors whilst at it. Bloke in Devonport did mine,can't remember the name. Another point-make sure pump is correctly times when re-installed. Most are not and it makes a huge difference. Think factory is .62 and safe improvement is .70. Can't stress this point too much. Good luck mate.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to portal pat For This Useful Post:

Tassie4wder (5th May 2016)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, hope not Pat.

Im having the same issue with a zd30. Only started having the problem after replacing injector pump with a rebuilt unit, new injectors and new glow plugs. Starts fine when cold but hot can turn over for what seems like a very long time before it starts with a puff of white smoke. All good once its going though.

Where is the glow plug relay located and where can i get a replacement? Original equipment only?

Mickn

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast