Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

TD42 Aircon bearing

Just wondering has anybody got experience in replacing a aircon pulley bearing on a TD42 ?
    Mine is very noisy after some river crossings, and the noise is x50 when the aircon actually gets turned on / clutch engages.
    It's only a matter of time before it completely dries and posibbly seizes.

I spoke to Mudski and hes replaced his on the ZD30 several times. Hes given me some good pointers. But doing some searching and after talking to Patrolapart today the ones on a TD apparently are a whole different ball game. Patrolapart does have a bearing listed around $40, for a TD42 but he cannot tell me whether it is for any specific TD42, like GQ or GU?

It's either that OR get a whole new compressor unit, upwards of $1000 + labour/re-gas etc.
    2005 TD42TI

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no experience but mines going through the same symtoms of late. Apparently the compressor is relatively easy to replace yourself and then its just a matter of getting the system gassed. The quotes I've had start around the same price for a mechanics workshop to do the job.
    2004 4.2TDi GU ST Ute, 3" Exhaust, UHF, Lightforce Spotties, BFG All Terrains, Steel Winchbar, Winch, Dual Batts, CC Ultimate IC, 4" Snorkel, XLR8 Steps and Scrub bar

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gubigfish For This Useful Post:

Hodge (20th September 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Just wondering has anybody got experience in replacing a aircon pulley bearing on a TD42 ?
    Mine is very noisy after some river crossings, and the noise is x50 when the aircon actually gets turned on / clutch engages.
    It's only a matter of time before it completely dries and posibbly seizes.

I spoke to Mudski and hes replaced his on the ZD30 several times. Hes given me some good pointers. But doing some searching and after talking to Patrolapart today the ones on a TD apparently are a whole different ball game. Patrolapart does have a bearing listed around $40, for a TD42 but he cannot tell me whether it is for any specific TD42, like GQ or GU?

It's either that OR get a whole new compressor unit, upwards of $1000 + labour/re-gas etc.
    These guys are cheap enough and have a good warranty , just keep your receipt , $585 was the first one I seen not sure how many types they stock .

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GQtdauto For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would be better if I included the link I suppose .

http://stores.ebay.com.au/auto8/AIR-...sub=2699055011

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GQtdauto For This Useful Post:

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,298 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I dont think the td compressor is much different to the ZD to be honest. All compressors work in the same fashion, they all require an idler bearing.
    s-l500.jpg
    And looking at the td compressor, yeah it looks a little different to the zd pump, but i can see the front cover will come off the compressor just the same as the ZD one. You remove the centre bolt, and use three 6mm bolts and evenly wind them in the end cap,(theres 3 threaded holes in the cap for this) and the pulley will come off the shaft. Press out the old bearing and press in the new.

You can get the bearing from just about any bearing service too. Which are closer than Patrol a part

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,769 Times in 2,033 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google and YouTube mate that's how I did mine. The same process on my tb45 as Mark has explained.

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jay see For This Useful Post:

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gubigfish View Post
    no experience but mines going through the same symtoms of late. Apparently the compressor is relatively easy to replace yourself and then its just a matter of getting the system gassed. The quotes I've had start around the same price for a mechanics workshop to do the job.
    Cheers mate. The compressor as a unit is easy enough to take off and back on. But providing it needs re-gassing, if it came down to that I'd just send it to a workshop anyway.
    I'd like to get it done while on the motor and not touch the gas side. Radiator off and all to give access.
    2005 TD42TI

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    I dont think the td compressor is much different to the ZD to be honest. All compressors work in the same fashion, they all require an idler bearing.

And looking at the td compressor, yeah it looks a little different to the zd pump, but i can see the front cover will come off the compressor just the same as the ZD one. You remove the centre bolt, and use three 6mm bolts and evenly wind them in the end cap,(theres 3 threaded holes in the cap for this) and the pulley will come off the shaft. Press out the old bearing and press in the new.

You can get the bearing from just about any bearing service too. Which are closer than Patrol a part

The reason I thought they were attacked differently is when I rang up Patrolapart the bloke said it's a completely different process as the ZD ones clutch kick in/out has a different mechanism in front of the pulley or something like that...

So belt off, then the bolt in the middle. And then you find ordinary 6mm bolts and do them up in sync in the captive thread holes i've circled??
    So where does the gear puller come into it ???

2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Thanked 3,769 Times in 2,033 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No gear pulley needed.
    Screwing in the three screws pull it out. I used 6x55 cap screws from memory. I see if I can dip up what I used tonight.

12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jay see For This Useful Post:

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,298 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jay see View Post
    No gear pulley needed.
    Screwing in the three screws pull it out. I used 6x55 cap screws from memory. I see if I can dip up what I used tonight.

ON the ZD pump John you need the gear puller to remove the pulley itself. The 3 bolts remove the front plate. I assume it will be the same for this pump maybe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast