Thread: GU motor upgrade

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GU motor upgrade

Hey everyone
    Just thought I'd get a few opinions on a motor swap or rebuild for my 2000 GU

I want something bigger more power the 3L is awesome but wanna move on from it. I was thinking either of the following

Cummins 6bt, TD42ti, TD42 then turbo, LS1, Duramax, Powerstroke

Any ideas
    Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Currently own a ZD30 2000 GU patrol with a dead injector pump about to start a build on a TD42 motor to go in the car and basically rebuild the whole car into a machine of a rig

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been looking into it myself and personally I like the Duramax , only thing is which one and the Allison gearbox I hear have some issues .
    Going to do lots of homework on this but have a bit over a year or so to decide .
    Let me know what you come up with will you .

Thanks
    Thanked 11,315 Times in 4,988 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like your style Jack mate! Quite a variance in price range suggested there, some say $15k <> $60k difference professionally done. What's your needs and budget bro?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GQtdauto View Post
    Been looking into it myself and personally I like the Duramax , only thing is which one and the Allison gearbox I hear have some issues .
    Going to do lots of homework on this but have a bit over a year or so to decide .
    Let me know what you come up with will you .
    Yeah I will
    I'm really a built not bought kinda person I'd rather spend a couple of months fluffing about in the garage and have a beast of a rig when I'm done then buying one.

I'm thinking I might do a td42 build

Currently own a ZD30 2000 GU patrol with a dead injector pump about to start a build on a TD42 motor to go in the car and basically rebuild the whole car into a machine of a rig

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JackCollo For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (5th July 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    I like your style Jack mate! Quite a variance in price range suggested there, some say $15k <> $60k difference professionally done. What's your needs and budget bro?
    I want something with big power and torque something that cruises on the freeway for trips and something I can use every day of the week for work

Thanks
    Thanked 11,315 Times in 4,988 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We all do want that too Jack mate. Definitely sounds like you need 2 x automobiles. Do love my old D22 Nav for ring road bumper car action, the other beast hauls loads when required:-)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,285 Times in 6,437 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey bud. Work out your preference in petrol or diesel, then budget. Building a TD from scratch aint cheap. Well it can be sort of but in my TD build up I spent nearly 10k just in four items. Pump, Injectors, turbo and intercooler. Then I bought the rebuild kit with ceramic coated pistons, different valves and springs. Then there was the exhaust system, electrics and all the rest needed for the conversion which would have been another 5-8k on top.
    If your going to build a new motor, be prepared to spend around 20k if you want a powerhouse. I spent more and probably should have looked at a Brunswick conversion but I had TD fever so I didnt even think of looking at anything else.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JackCollo View Post
    Hey everyone
    Just thought I'd get a few opinions on a motor swap or rebuild for my 2000 GU

I want something bigger more power the 3L is awesome but wanna move on from it. I was thinking either of the following

Cummins 6bt, TD42ti, TD42 then turbo, LS1, Duramax, Powerstroke

Any ideas
    Cheers

I would allow 15-20k to do a td42 conversion correctly. LS1 will be around 20k for a decent job.
    6bt is doable but has some difficulties due the exhaust and intake being on the opposite sides to nissan engines.
    Duramax will be atleast 40k but expect 50k or more for a decent job. The allison transmission is fine, its just finding someone who understands them but behind a standard duramax they are great and they can be built to handle huge figures. The later aisen transmission is also a good option.
    Powerstroke the 6.7 is a cool engine but it is not a common one and you would be somewhat of a pioneer.

6.5 chev may be an option but they are over priced for the 1940s tech you get and there are much better options out there.

Another option which I might be condemned for on a nissan forum is the toyota 1hd-fte with 5sp auto. Good strong engine with good figures in standard form and has seen 400rwhp and over 1000nm when pushed and development is still going.
    Last edited by nissannewby; 5th July 2017 at 09:52 PM.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,285 Times in 6,437 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    I would allow 15-20k to do a td42 conversion correctly. LS1 will be around 20k for a decent job.
    6bt is doable but has some difficulties due the exhaust and intake being on the opposite sides to nissan engines.
    Duramax will be atleast 40k but expect 50k or more for a decent job.
    Powerstroke the 6.7 is a cool engine but it is not a common one and you would be somewhat of a pioneer.

Another option which I might be condemned for on a nissan forum is the toyota 1hd-fte with 5sp auto. Good strong engine with good figures in standard form and has seen 400rwhp and over 1000nm when pushed and development is still going.
    Any mods on hand to ban this bloke for being a potty mouth?

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Avo (9th July 2017), nissannewby (5th July 2017), Rossco (6th July 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sacrilege, ban him .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast