Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: In cab brake controller .

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am in the market too and think the Hayman Reece Compact IQ and the Redarc Tow Pro both look awesome and keen for some reviews there too guys.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

dads tractor (15th June 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Vista crossover is only good 'cos it was designed by the same bloke who designed the Tvan. I was very tempted by it & an indoor kitchen at the back would have swung it for me.

I fitted a Redarc Towpro to the Patrol. Easy to fit, & importantly from my perspective took up less space in the cab. I leave it auto mode all the time, but tested the 'light braking' function (pushing the button to brake the trailer only) & am confident that it would be a good thing should any trailer sway ever happen (not that such a thing is likely with either yours or my campers).
    Of course how well the braking works depends upon having the trailer brakes set up properly. I can actually pull up quicker with the Tvan connected than I can with the vehicle solo!

I wasn't keen on the Tekonsha slide to manually brake the trailer alone, & felt the simplicity of just pressing a button to be a better idea. That said I've never actually used a Tekonsha.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

dads tractor (16th June 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    That Vista crossover is only good 'cos it was designed by the same bloke who designed the Tvan. I was very tempted by it & an indoor kitchen at the back would have swung it for me.
    Not wishing to hijack the thread, but my main criteria in selecting a new camper, after the Kimberley Kamper, was no more canvas. The Tvans are OK, a few Club mates have them, but they have canvas that needs to be set up and packed up, the Vista requires two latches to be undone and the roof popped up, literally a 10 second job Never been a fan of cooking inside a camper so that was not an issue for us.

...... and yes 12" electric brakes on the Vista certainly aid the stopping process. The P3 controller has a sliding arm to manually override the braking, the amount you "slide" the arm dictates the braking force, so you can gently brake the van all the way through to full on braking, does help retardation when going down steeeeeep hills. Not sure if you can do that with the Redarc, would be interested to know.
    Time Marches On .....and on ..... and on

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fitted Redarc Tow Pro Elite, control knob in blank near gea lever, box on a bit of ali angle just in front used existing holes. Flat 7 pin plug (genuine Nissan), I have found that I have to clean the plug on the vehicle before each use or the blue light is intermittent.
    Looking at upgrading the plug, does anyone know if you can get ones with better seals to keep the dirt out when not in use?
    As I understand it if you fit a 12 pin flat to the vehicle you can still connect a trailer with a 7 pin.
    Graham

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeeYou8 View Post
    I fitted Redarc Tow Pro Elite, control knob in blank near gea lever, box on a bit of ali angle just in front used existing holes.
    Here's mine, was a bit fiddly but managed to fit it into one of the dash switch blanks.

IMG_7672.jpg

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (2nd July 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,918 Times in 2,751 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Here's mine, was a bit fiddly but managed to fit it into one of the dash switch blanks.

IMG_7672.jpg
    I thought it was the little knob on the pillar pod and thought you have kept it minimal! . .then i spotted it .

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (2nd July 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 614 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also use the Redarc. I have the button just under the GU sub tank button so right beside my left hand.
    I have a slightly overweight 2.5t caravan and it works well through a normal 7 pin flat plug.
    Calibration can be done with nothing hitched up.

I do have to switch it down to 2 or so when manoeuvring slowly because my brakes grab a bit but that's not the fault of the Redarc?
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jff45 For This Useful Post:

Yeti's Beast (1st August 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 911 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had a tekonsha (granted it was a number of years old) and now have the red arc tow pro elite and can say its way better.
    Lucus30's 1999 GU ST TB45E

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jff45 View Post
    I do have to switch it down to 2 or so when manoeuvring slowly because my brakes grab a bit but that's not the fault of the Redarc?
    I find my brakes lock on the car trailer when there is no car on it, but you would expect that.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All

When I did my research on brake controllers the Tekonsha came out on top so that's what I bought, one of the features I particularly like is the ability to remove it from it's bracket and stow it out of the way in it's own pouch when not in use.

I decided to have a go at installing it today so searched this forum and the net generally for Patrol specific installation instructions or ideas but couldn't find any.

I want it in a position where I can clearly see the digital display and reach the manual over ride quickly and easily so the logical position for me is the box recess above the radio with the pop up lid.

http://fishingmonthly.com.au/img/upl...am4WD511_4.jpg

I currently have it all out and it looks like it will fit, I'll let you know how I go tomorrow and post some pics.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast