Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you buy an ex-Govt GU?

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go for it it is cheap and fully loaded. Ex gov are always strictly serviced unlike a lot of private ones 11k for an 06 what a bargain

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Magician For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (24th July 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only problem I can see (as with a lot of 4bys) is that with all that good stuff bolted on you may be up to your GVM even without you in the vehicle. A friend has a GU with all the bits you mentioned (including 2 X spare tyres on the rear bar) and at a Club weigh day his came in at just under 3500 kg - with no driver or passenger.

Being ex govt - has it had a GVM upgrade? If so it really is a bargain!

Just a thought.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillsGU For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (24th July 2016), MudRunnerTD (24th July 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Was thinking about the GVM Upgrade too, likely it has had it done from new which will mean braced rest towers etc, winner.

If it was a 10year old ExGov out of Darwin or Central Aus and had been use in an indigenous community then it would be fairly rugged compared to the Sargeant's car from a Coastal tourist zone. 2 different lives. It may even have some electronic rust protection under the bonnet too.

It is on the cusp for DI V CRD ZD30 engine change, is it a DI or CommonRail? A side photo will show a big sticker on the door declaring CRD.

Note the Clutch can go and is big $$ to replace but at the price you are being offered it makes no difference.

IT IS A BARGAIN.

I have seen similar vehicles with the same list of accessories list for about $10k to $12k WITH A BLOWN MOTOR. To suit conversion. This is a very popular year for the Concersion crew as it's the last year you can do a TD42 conversion if it does blow.

If the Big rear step is an ARB rear bar with wheel carrier then that's a $3k bit of kit!

No brainer mate!! If you don't buy it please post a link and I happily will.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (24th July 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post

No brainer mate!! If you don't buy it please post a link and I happily will.
    Haha!! I was thinking the same thing MR! It definitely is a steal!
    '09 3L CRD Gu Wagon - 3" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, 2" OME, Nitto Trail Grapplers, ARB Bull Bar, Warn Winch, Side steps, Safari Snorkel, ARB Alloy Rack, ARB on Board Compressor, Dual Batteries, Kaymar Rear Dual Bar, EBC, Reversing Camera, Outback Drawers, Fridge Slide, ARB Cargo Barrier & Divider, Rear Door Diner, Long Ranger Tanks, GME 3350s/6.6DBI, 240 Lightforce XGT's, 42' Roof Mounted Illuminator Light Bar.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    . It may even have some electronic rust protection under the bonnet too. .
    I think these electronic Gizmos were proved to be useless like a snake oil, was only proved just recently.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsGU View Post
    Only problem I can see (as with a lot of 4bys) is that with all that good stuff bolted on you may be up to your GVM even without you in the vehicle. A friend has a GU with all the bits you mentioned (including 2 X spare tyres on the rear bar) and at a Club weigh day his came in at just under 3500 kg - with no driver or passenger.

Being ex govt - has it had a GVM upgrade? If so it really is a bargain!

Just a thought.
    I've only had my GU for about 4 months, and it wasn't until a recent off-road/camping tour that it sorta hit me. There's alot bolted onto my ol' girl and I am concerned about being over the GVM. I'll need to take a closer look this weekend underneath and find out whether it has had the GVM upgrade, any idea what I should be looking for? As far as I'm aware it would be tower braces etc?
    '09 3L CRD Gu Wagon - 3" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, 2" OME, Nitto Trail Grapplers, ARB Bull Bar, Warn Winch, Side steps, Safari Snorkel, ARB Alloy Rack, ARB on Board Compressor, Dual Batteries, Kaymar Rear Dual Bar, EBC, Reversing Camera, Outback Drawers, Fridge Slide, ARB Cargo Barrier & Divider, Rear Door Diner, Long Ranger Tanks, GME 3350s/6.6DBI, 240 Lightforce XGT's, 42' Roof Mounted Illuminator Light Bar.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toy-Eta View Post
    I've only had my GU for about 4 months, and it wasn't until a recent off-road/camping tour that it sorta hit me. There's alot bolted onto my ol' girl and I am concerned about being over the GVM. I'll need to take a closer look this weekend underneath and find out whether it has had the GVM upgrade, any idea what I should be looking for? As far as I'm aware it would be tower braces etc?
    If it has been done properly it would be engineered and you would have a plaque on the fire wall or in the drivers door B pillar. You would look for tower braces, diff bracing, rated springs and shocks (the only one who rates and stamps them that I know of are Lovells), LPV bracket, offset caster bushes, among other things. You would also have a GVM of 3495 kg on your rego papers.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BillsGU For This Useful Post:

Toy-Eta (24th July 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I thought all government vehicles had to be auctioned. Who is offering the vehicle for sale? Also 88 k for a vehicle that is ten years old sounds too good to be true, but I am a sceptical old fart.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm certain its hasn't had a GVM upgrade, it still has bog standard suspension etc. I'm not sure about it being DI or CRD, when was the engine upgraded? I'll have to check it out. I hear what you're saying about the vehicle's life...knowing the location of the vehicle it would be lucky to travel 30kms a day. The rear step is just a metal step that comes out off the back of the bumper (but no drill pieces into the plastic), so you can step up. Handy.

There's no link to the Patrol as its being sold locally only, no electronic advertisement. Like many things in life, all about right place right time.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, most Govt vehicles have to be auctioned off, but in certain circumstances, particularly when the vehicle is a certain age, is worth '$0' to the agency and based on its location, its up to the boss as to how the vehicle is sold or even given away. The 88,000kms is very genuine. Think I might keeps it location a secret so I don't get competition!!lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast