Thread: Looking at buying a 4.2 cab chassis

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking at buying a 4.2 cab chassis

Hey guys first time poster here, just wondering what I should be looking out for when buying a new 4.2 ute, what I should be doing to look after it etc
    Cheers
    Also got about 20k to spend !

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabirchy01 View Post
    Hey guys first time poster here, just wondering what I should be looking out for when buying a new 4.2 ute, what I should be doing to look after it etc
    Cheers
    The price of fuel is a good place to start

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2006 4.2 tdi wagon
    TJM BullBar and bar work, Light bar & spotlights, Airtech snorkel, tradie rack, blocked egr, 2inch lift on 33s and a 3 inch exhaust to go with it all.
    Plenty more to come!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Jabirchy01

Suggestions:

1) Keep it legal - you could sleep better and night and not drive in fear of having it stickered.
    2) Make a 'wants versus needs' list, then choose and spend wisely. I found buying the ute was cheaper than buying/fitting all the 'toys'. lol
    3) Before you buy or do anything, do your research and homework, so you can make an informed, not an 'impulse' decision.
    4) If you're doing a lot of off road stuff, consider buying decent recovery gear.
    5) If you're going to use it as a 'daily driver', remember exactly that, before you take it off the bitumen - you're gunna need to drive it tomorrow.
    6) If you take it to the beach or mud, clean it asap after your journey.
    7) Do regular (suggest weekly) maintenance - Petrol (or diesel), Oil, Water, Electrics, Rubber (POWER checks). Most of which should be done when the engine and tyres are cold.
    8) Keep on top of faults and get them fixed as they occur.
    9) Don't attract attention to yourself, your vehicle or your driving!
    10) If you're going off road, tell somebody where you're going and when you're going to be back. If you change your plans, tell somebody - before you start changing your plans.
    11) Get a decent first aid kit
    12) Consider taking extra food and water on your trips. I use those ring pull cans of food - in case I forget the can opener. Trip preparation is seriously important!
    12) Take care out there.

Hope this helps.

Rossco
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabirchy01 View Post
    Cheers
    My son just picked up 2005 TDi DX rear leaf for $17500 after looking for several months. Has usual fruit on it already but will need new tyres next year. Most good ones he looked at were well over $25k so if you are patient and look at heaps, the right one will turn up. Make sure it is as original as possible and as clean as possible with service history. Good luck
    At the end of the day, all you have is yourself and all you need is your friends (and in our case our Patrol)
    2006 GUI1 4.2TDi Coil Cab "almost" standard