Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help screwed my ignition barrel

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TPC View Post
    I had the same problem a few years back and caused by trying to get rid of those stupid beeps. I had to wait a couple of days for Nissan to get the part in. I should have tried to fix it myself but had already had it towed fo Nissans and could not get to it.
    I would suggest trying to fix it yourself, nothing to loose.
    I'll have a ring around in the morning, but if I get desperate I'll see if it's just a matter of joining the wires. I'm not really sure how it works, and whether I'd add too much resistance etc soldering it? Going extremely remote on this trip, so not keen for a bodgy fix.
    2016 GU Legend Edition: 3505Kg GVM Upgrade and Stuff!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Use a lighter to burn the insulating lacquer about 5mm off the ends to be joined. Scrape the carbon off and then tin them with a solder before joining them. Solder quickly so you don't destroy any more insulation. Use a thin bit of electrical tape over the join, rewind the coil and Bob's your uncle.

I forgot to add, solder the ends side by side and bend the join to fit the curve of the coil. Twisting the wires together before soldering will make a lump in the coil.

If you need some wire and are a hoarder like me, try stripping it out of an old charger transformer or the like.
    Last edited by mudnut; 19th August 2017 at 12:03 AM.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

TPC (19th August 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    Use a lighter to burn the insulating lacquer about 5mm off the ends to be joined. Scrape the carbon off and then tin them with a solder before joining them. Solder quickly so you don't destroy any more insulation. Use a thin bit of electrical tape over the join, rewind the coil and Bob's your uncle.

I forgot to add, solder the ends side by side and bend the join to fit the curve of the coil. Twisting the wires together before soldering will make a lump in the coil.

If you need some wire and are a hoarder like me, try stripping it out of an old charger transformer or the like.
    I'll see how I go today, cheers for the tips, my soldering skills are woeful at the best of times.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Mate, I got caught out the same way! Hated the beep and thought it looked straight forward too. I ended up pulling it out carefully, scraped off the plastic coating from the copper carefully with a flat blade screw driver on a hard flat surface, then gently soldered the break together. Hardest part was trying to get it to sit neatly back in the barrel spot. It got me out of trouble as I was in a similar scenario of having to go away on a trip. Just take some solder and a gas match if your worried about it failing out bush its not hard, just tedious! Cheers - Westie
    Last edited by Toy-Eta; 19th August 2017 at 08:58 AM.
    '09 3L CRD Gu Wagon - 3" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, 2" OME, Nitto Trail Grapplers, ARB Bull Bar, Warn Winch, Side steps, Safari Snorkel, ARB Alloy Rack, ARB on Board Compressor, Dual Batteries, Kaymar Rear Dual Bar, EBC, Reversing Camera, Outback Drawers, Fridge Slide, ARB Cargo Barrier & Divider, Rear Door Diner, Long Ranger Tanks, GME 3350s/6.6DBI, 240 Lightforce XGT's, 42' Roof Mounted Illuminator Light Bar.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did the same thing on my Titanium a couple of years ago. It's $300 fix unfortunately, to replace that antenna wire bundle from Nissan. I had no luck at the wreakers as they wont separate it from the system. One good thing ..... like me, you should not need to reprogram the keys. Just plug the new antenna in and it all should work again.
    2014 Titanium Y61 with all the fruit ................

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, not having much luck sourcing one yet, mines broken in about 4 or 5 places, so not going to risk it when we are going remote. One dealer should be able to have one here Monday morning, so at worst I'll lose a day or two. $355.00 from one dealer, $411 from another. I also have a local guy who may have one from a 2007, but the wreckers says it needs to be from 11/2012 onwards to fit mine? Not sure yet and waiting on a call back from him.

I am thinking it's going to be a genuine one from the dealer and I'll just have to cop the trip delay. I was originally going to leave Monday, but brought the trip forward a day, so really will only lose a day, maybe half a day if I can get one by Mid morning Monday (Stock in a Nissan warehouse in WA, but not open today)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hooray, she is alive ! I managed to get one from a local guy that does some backyard wrecking, it weas apparently from a 2010 model and was exactly the same part number! Our trip is back on track!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stevemc181 For This Useful Post:

jack (19th August 2017), TPC (19th August 2017), Woof (19th August 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ripper! Have a go at repairing the old one, anyway, and chuck it in the back as a spare.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

stevemc181 (19th August 2017)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good to hear on the good outcome mate. Enjoy your trip! Safe travels.
    2005 TD42TI

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

stevemc181 (19th August 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that is good luck .... I hope that you actually didn't forget to disconnect the brown key in ignition wire whilst you were in there
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast