Thread: Best bang for buck tyres

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 294 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrodieTiGQ View Post
    So no one has had a good experience with cooper tyres?
    Will never buy Cooper again. Had a rock punch through the tread on a near new tyre. Not even a 4wd track, just a dirt road, I was following an Audi A4 at the time for christs sake. Cooper didn`t want a bar of it & I had to replace it as I`d just put a full set on. Could have put it down to bad luck but when it happened a second time not long after I thought thats it & replaced the lot. At $400 a tyre I was not impressed. The other 3 are still in my shed with 80% tread on them.

Went to Mickey Thomson STZ`s & haven`t had a problem since.

IMGP3694.JPG
    "Yet, upon the whole, the space I traversed is unlikely to become the haunt of civilized man....." - Charles Sturt

2. The Following User Says Thank You to VK2FMIA For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (19th November 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,241 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gave the ute a wash today finally after last dusty rocky mountain adventures. Pictures down the passenger side below found why I entrust in BFG and Steel rims together! Flash looking Alloy rims and I’d still be up there waiting for a second spare to be delivered:-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (19th November 2017), Rossco (21st November 2017)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That first image is a shocker. Do you think you did that on your howling dog mountain crusade and just have not noticed it?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (19th November 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VK2FMIA View Post
    Will never buy Cooper again. Had a rock punch through the tread on a near new tyre. Not even a 4wd track, just a dirt road, I was following an Audi A4 at the time for christs sake. Cooper didn`t want a bar of it & I had to replace it as I`d just put a full set on. Could have put it down to bad luck but when it happened a second time not long after I thought thats it & replaced the lot. At $400 a tyre I was not impressed. The other 3 are still in my shed with 80% tread on them.

Went to Mickey Thomson STZ`s & haven`t had a problem since.

IMGP3694.JPG
    Yes years ago I fitted a brand new set of 315/75r16 Cooper ST tyres and first trio out I punctured the side wall. I was spewing at $400 A corner. I stripped the tyre off at camp and patched the bloody thing then put a Simex Tube in and never thougfht about it again.

I will never buy Cooper Tyres again.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

MB (19th November 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And that's why I won't have alloy wheels on the fourby MB , metal you can bash back into position.
    Given how low we run our tyre pressures I'm amazed there aren't more rooted alloy rims out there .
    VK2FMIA if you want I'll give you a great deal on a brand new cooper tyre ,fell off the back of a truck .

11. The Following User Says Thank You to GQtdauto For This Useful Post:

MB (19th November 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Gave the ute a wash today finally after last dusty rocky mountain adventures. Pictures down the passenger side below found why I entrust in BFG and Steel rims together! Flash looking Alloy rims and I’d still be up there waiting for a second spare to be delivered:-(

Makes me wonder if in the ads for cooper tyres where they say they've travelled 50 million miles without one puncture that maybe that's correct technically and they haven't had just one puncture but dozens of them .

13. The Following User Says Thank You to GQtdauto For This Useful Post:

MB (19th November 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many years ago on one of my earlier past life FJ’s, had some flash teenage cool alloys. Must have rock clipped them up around Wonnagatta trekking. Roughly a week later daily driving for work a 1/5th size chunk of rim blew out on the rear drivers and shot across the oncoming lane and thankfully stopped before hitting kids in the school bus stop. Steelies are the only way to go IMHO no matter how extreme ones adventures planned are! In theory even clipping a streets concrete curb could do the exact same to any alloy rim :-(

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 294 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GQtdauto View Post
    And that's why I won't have alloy wheels on the fourby MB , metal you can bash back into position.
    Given how low we run our tyre pressures I'm amazed there aren't more rooted alloy rims out there .
    VK2FMIA if you want I'll give you a great deal on a brand new cooper tyre ,fell off the back of a truck .
    Yeah send it up. Mate wants some tyres to put in his farm dam for the crayfish to breed in. About all there good for.

Sent from my campfire using smoke signals.
    "Yet, upon the whole, the space I traversed is unlikely to become the haunt of civilized man....." - Charles Sturt

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VK2FMIA For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (19th November 2017), MB (19th November 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrodieTiGQ View Post
    So no one has had a good experience with cooper tyres?
    A friend had Coopers on their Honda AWD SUV. Not sure id ST's or another model.

Each of the 4 tyres failed long before they wore out. Sidewall bubbles & tread delaminating.

Having witnessed his experience I simply wouldn't risk Coopers myself. One tyre going bad is bad luck. All four left a pretty bad taste.

If you are also considering AT's I reckon the Bridgestone D697's are pretty good.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (19th November 2017), MB (19th November 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, $10 cash on the way through Lilydale today only taking the great bloke all of 10 minutes tops and saved me a tyre plier home shed muck around. Top bloke even squirted some black paint on it, ready for Lygon Street again :-)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast