OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Panhard rod fell off, replaced with road safe Heavy duty. steerings still shonky??

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Panhard rod fell off, replaced with road safe Heavy duty. steerings still shonky??

gday boys. so my panhard rod fell off at the diff end ( passenger side front bush was left on the stud and the panhard rod fell out of the bushing due to the previous installer not putting the washer on it and it knocked out on a washout )
    ive replaced it with a heavy duty panhard from road safe - I got really bad death wabbles just after I washed the car, pulled up at the lights and went to turn - felt the play in my steering wheel and heard a small thud - was the rod coming off - drove maybe 5 meters upto 15ks and front started jumping all over the place, left to right out of my control. so my question is, what else needs to be looked at in this instance? my steering is very light and unresponsive still and doesn't feel right, I've got a little bit of free play on the same in my wheel when I lay under the car and kick it from the top the wheel physically moves so im thinking maybe bearings are f##ked too??? which would f##king suck considering I got them repacked last week on my major service.. f$#kin cu$#!!!

EDIT: add abit more info about the car. its a GU series 3, 4inch lift 35inch tyres, just had a major service done done about a week ago - so the place that done it is willing to go over everything again for me without labour charge because they missed that my panhard bush was flogged out at the major service and I had to get it fixed, and I hope I wont be paying for labour this time around when I take it back.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 30th September 2019 at 08:09 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,917 Times in 2,750 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crickies mate doesn't sound good, check everything for freeplay also check mount on chassis isn't cracked early GQs had a habit of doing this think their might have been a recall back in the day. .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    shit yeah it was scary as it comes driving at 15ks at hour haha! felt like a bad roller coaster

heres a photo of the mount - looks ok to me from all angels no obvious signs of cracking or any breaks

IMG20190930172137.jpg

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,298 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you have movement in the wheel this needs to be looked at first. it could either be the wheel bearings need re-adjusting, or the top and/ or bottom king pin bearings for the swivel hub are munted. Jack the car up and see if its just the wheel and hub that moves or if its the entire swivel hub? Remember to rock the wheel from left to right and top to bottom. Left to right can't also give the indication that the tie rod ends a worn too.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Rossco (30th September 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,495 Times in 6,598 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    If you have movement in the wheel this needs to be looked at first. it could either be the wheel bearings need re-adjusting, or the top and/ or bottom king pin bearings for the swivel hub are munted. Jack the car up and see if its just the wheel and hub that moves or if its the entire swivel hub? Remember to rock the wheel from left to right and top to bottom. Left to right can't also give the indication that the tie rod ends a worn too.
    ^^^ What he said mate, Jack the front wheels off the ground from under the diff. Then check the wheels for wobble. Simple check should take about 2 minutes. Good place to start.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

shadzketb48 (30th September 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cheers fellas will do tomorrow morning

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it is that bad, it should be fairly obvious.

Get someone else to sit in the drivers seat rocking the steering wheel from side to side, whilst you visually inspect from underneath.
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Okay so it'll move when my hands are on 9 and 3 so left and right has some free play but can't seem to get any from 12 and 6 O clock or up and down ?

Sent from my CPH1803 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    ^^^ What he said mate, Jack the front wheels off the ground from under the diff. Then check the wheels for wobble. Simple check should take about 2 minutes. Good place to start.
    I think it could be the swivel hub? Does it sound rooted to you

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadzketb48 View Post
    I think it could be the swivel hub? Does it sound rooted to you

Scrap that videos too big