Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this oil ok

Hello,
    I have a 2012 GU8 3.0 Diesel ,
    I know there are heaps of threads on oil but I think I have read too much now.
    I'm just getting parts for the next service.
    Is this oil ok? , on the web site it says "may not fit your vehicle"
    https://www.repco.com.au/en/brands/n...tre/p/A9503891
    What are your thoughts.
    Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always used Penrite.
    They have an app for your phone
    They suggest this

Proud BTrol Owner
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What Yettis beast said. Put in a reputable other brand once and next oil change it was very black. Went back to Penrite and all clean again. 270000k all on Penrite. ZD30 Di

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply.
    Is 5W a bit low ?
    I'm in WA Midwest

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4bye4 View Post
    What Yettis beast said. Put in a reputable other brand once and next oil change it was very black. Went back to Penrite and all clean again. 270000k all on Penrite. ZD30 Di

You do realise that means the other oil worked better than the penrite? Diesel oil has detergent additives and other sort to keep to carbon and whatever else suspended in the oil. So if the oil is staying clean then it is not doing its job and all the contaminants are staying somewhere. If the oil cant keep the carbon, soot etc suspended then it doesnt go through you filter either.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

Clunk (6th April 2019), MB (6th April 2019), PeeBee (6th April 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this oil ok

That makes real new sense to me too thanks @nissannewby mate and apologies @Bluedog69 mate for jumping in here.

On my old tractor 6.5NA Chevy diesel conversion Patrol motor I’ve been using Valvoline-Super Diesel 15w-40 and finding it blackens very quickly.
    Is that hopefully a good thing too clearing out its old crud or could this hot running old dinosaur be thermally breaking the wrong oil down too quickly, does oil blacken off when super heated too?
    Have kindly been advised I need to pull my finger out and finally add my better oil cooler and extra volume one day when time permits too!

EDIT: For the OP’s question too, I thought mid west WA ambient average morning temps would require a higher start up number other than ‘5’ -40 if that’s how it works thought tought before too?

Last edited by MB; 6th April 2019 at 06:20 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well my old girl had 395,000k and didn’t use a drop of oil. Oil stayed clean for the first 5000 then darken by service time at 10,000.
    I use an oil flush once a year usually also to help clean out any crud.

Proud BTrol Owner

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog69 View Post
    Hello,
    I have a 2012 GU8 3.0 Diesel ,
    https://www.repco.com.au/en/brands/n...tre/p/A9503891
    Perhaps different in my 4.2 'old school' diesel Patrol.
    If I didn't have my usual Penrite 15w50 semi snythetic available & needed an oil change, I'd suppose I'd put that Nulon 15w40 in.
    Still change oil & filters at 5000km too.

Btw - what is the oil capacity of the 3 litre models? Mine is an irritatingly ridiculous 10.5 litre. All very well when at home & buying 20 litre or more at a time, but when 'on the road' having to pay $20 extra just for a litre of oil is somewhat galling!

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    8.2 litres with filter

Proud BTrol Owner

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The only two oil I've tried in my 4.2 are the Delo 400 and the Magnatec 15w-40.
    Magnatec goes black very very quick, way before my 5000km change interval. Delo stays clean-ish for ages, I literally checked oil 5 minutes ago, and right now its 1000km before due date. So it's been in the motor for 4000km and its still very see-through.

I noticed this, especially when checking the oil. Delo because it stays so clear for a long time is very annoying and hard to check the level as its so clean its kind of hard to gauge on the dip stick.
    Magnatec goes black very quick and has you can see a very distinct clear line on the dipstick.
    Another thing I've noticed when using Delo is it breathes very heavily in my motor. The catch can fills up relatively faster compared to when using Magnatec.

Next I was going to try is one of the Castrol RX variants.
    2005 TD42TI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast