Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Td42 egt

Thanks
    Thanked 4,714 Times in 2,490 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10 lb boost sits on 350/400 at 110k around up a decent hill 500 at 16lb sometimes just over 500 but not often
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by guterra View Post
    Can 4.2 egts be a little higher than 3ltrs? Reason is the turbo on a 3ltr is a vnt type, which is more prone to heat failure than a STD turbo setup - like what is on a 4.2.....
    I think it's actually the other way around. All 3L that I know of run really high EGT's compared to the 4.2's. A lot of CRD's hit 600+ in a heartbeat straight out of the factory. As far as I believe, they handle it really well... Maybe not the early ones though.
    2005 TD42TI

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Oldmav explained EGT's in 4.2's really well at Roofys donk party. Can't remember exactly words, but they can handle high EGT's but not for steady prolonged periods... that bloke and Mat were a technical encyclopedia that night lol.
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bloke at the workshop who dynoed my car after fitting the (3” exhaust/13psi) reckoned that the ‘back off' temp is 600 deg.C. In the interests of longevity I’m a bit more conservative & have my alarm set at 525 deg.C. However it is pretty rare that I get it up to alarm temp, usually run between 250 & 400 deg.C. Before the dynotune reaching 600 deg.C was worryingly easy. Makes me wonder how many folk who fit exhausts & increase boost without an egt gauge are happily driving around without knowing the temps are up that high.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Hodge (3rd January 2017)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As Cuppa said a lot of people don't know or or just don't want to know and simply happily just drive it and never had an issue.

Sent from S5
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    As Cuppa said a lot of people don't know or or just don't want to know and simply happily just drive it and never had an issue.
    Most are probably not aware of the issues that can happen from not monitoring EGT. Makes you wonder why the manufacturers don't fit them as a standard gauge or at least monitored by the ECU in the new common rail engines.

I've not seen mine get higher than 450 yet but also haven't been towing or a fully loaded tray either.
    2004 4.2TDi GU ST Ute, 3" Exhaust, UHF, Lightforce Spotties, BFG All Terrains, Steel Winchbar, Winch, Dual Batts, CC Ultimate IC, 4" Snorkel, XLR8 Steps and Scrub bar

9. The Following User Says Thank You to gubigfish For This Useful Post:

Hodge (3rd January 2017)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gubigfish View Post
    Most are probably not aware of the issues that can happen from not monitoring EGT. Makes you wonder why the manufacturers don't fit them as a standard gauge or at least monitored by the ECU in the new common rail engines.

I've not seen mine get higher than 450 yet but also haven't been towing or a fully loaded tray either.
    Yeah so true and a lot are not mechanically savvy so just drive the car the way it is. I remember reading and thinking about EGT's for ages and the first car I ever had one on was my 3L CRD Patrol. When I finally fit the gauges I was shitting my self driving it, because it hit 500+ in a heart beat during winter, not towing or anything. Sometimes it simply got there up the freeway on-ramp .... I wished I hadn't fitted the gauges and just "drove" it cause I continually kept watching the gauges from there on in. It's not different on the 4.2 . Although after the CC cooler, the temps are much more tame so not such a bit deal.
    2005 TD42TI

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

gubigfish (3rd January 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would have been interesting to have a comparison on the 4.2 before I fitted my CC cooler, unfortunately gauge and cooler got fitted at the same time.
    2004 4.2TDi GU ST Ute, 3" Exhaust, UHF, Lightforce Spotties, BFG All Terrains, Steel Winchbar, Winch, Dual Batts, CC Ultimate IC, 4" Snorkel, XLR8 Steps and Scrub bar

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It is a good thing to get egt as high as possible before max torque point. This has the turbo working at its ability. Obviously there are still safe limits to all of this.

@Hodge this is kind of what you saw with the crd. Its not really about having the lowest egts. Like engine operating temperature what you want is stability. So a quick rise to temperature but then to maintain the temperature.

Remember the 500-550 max safe temp post turbo is for short periods not a point to slow down. If the egts get to 500 but plateau there while say climbing a hill or accelerating on to the highway then that is fine.
    Last edited by nissannewby; 3rd January 2017 at 03:44 PM.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (3rd January 2017), Hodge (3rd January 2017), liftlid (4th January 2017), MudRunnerTD (3rd January 2017), Stropp (3rd January 2017), Wizard52 (6th January 2017)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    It is a good thing to get egt as high as possible before max torque point. This has the turbo working at its ability. Obviously there are still safe limits to all of this.

@Hodge this is kind of what you saw with the crd. Its not really about having the lowest egts. Like engine operating temperature what you want is stability. So a quick rise to temperature but then to maintain the temperature.

Remember the 500-550 max safe temp post turbo is for short periods not a point to slow down. If the egts get to 500 but plateau there while say climbing a hill or accelerating on to the highway then that is fine.
    What I noticed since advancing the timing on my td42ti.
    It was retarded as so remember I dont know how EGT should be moving as slow was "normal" to me

The EGT get up to its operating point so much quicker. Its steady and then goes back down quickly too.

It hasnt gone higher but I noticed on the gauge it moves quicker.

Is this right or am I seeing things
    Last edited by drgtr; 17th June 2019 at 03:13 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast