Thread: Engine and gearbox temps.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Engine and gearbox temps.

Hi all - well I have finally got all my gauges connected and NADS set up. Its taken a while but now I need to know what temps I should be seeing. Since connecting everything, I have been getting max boost 14 but usually runs at 12 or less, EGT about 350 - 400 max, but often less than 300. Water temp is 89 t0 92 deg and gearbox (ZD30 Di auto) less than 60deg.
    Yesterday it was over 42 deg here in Perth and I was towing a trailer. Water temps still maxed at 91/92 but stayed up there all the time and the Gearbox temp got up to 85 to nearly 90 deg as well.
    I think these are reasonable readings, but I am not sure what the gearbox should max out at. In other words at what temp should I think about stopping or slowing to reduce temp. I have read here about people seeing 140 deg but then the gearbox broke anyway. I have also read about the degredation of trans fluid when overheated. So what is the max I should see and be comfortable with?
    Any comments appreciated.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

dom14 (23rd December 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    My water temps are normally 83 degrees but after all the
    chemicals Ive poured into it it now sits on 89 any weather.
    I realize no two motors are the same.
    I dont have a trans cooler,would love one though. lol
    Max egts are similar, being an auto Ive found having the
    OD off my fuel figures are better and egt's lower
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

5. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

4bye4 (22nd December 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,376 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi mate, I found this on the web which has some good info. Talks about transmission temps and temps where fluid degradation occurs.

http://www.thetransmissioncentre.com...l-information/

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

4bye4 (22nd December 2016), threedogs (22nd December 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 613 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My auto trans can get down to 60C on the highway with the TC locked. On hot days in traffic it can get to 95ish but I have no fan on my aftermarket trans cooler.
    My temp reading is taken from the RH side banjo where the fluid exits to the cooler so this is the hottest reading.

The auto temp light on the dash comes on at 140C but that's the temp in the pan. If not using synthetic fluid, 140C usually means damage in an older box.
    I've decided I won't panic if the needle hits 100ish but I'll pull over if it persists. Hasn't happened yet..
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jff45 For This Useful Post:

4bye4 (22nd December 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all for the advise, especially the link from @Plasnart. Reading all that I would say I'm in the good range. My gauges only start at 60 and go up to 150 so around town I really don't get a gearbox temp reading at all. Differences in motors with the water temp I think @threedogs. Water temp is usually about 89 ish on mine. I considered yesterday too good a chance to miss testing so the readings I quoted were on the freeway at 100kph, towing a trailer and 42deg outside temp, aircon going flat out. I think I am happy with the results given the conditions. I am going to set my temp alarm for the gearbox at about 110/115 deg. EGT alarm is set at 500deg, water alarm set for 95deg and boost set at 20psi. I will probably reset the boost alarm down to a bit over 15 psi.
    @jff45 auto temp lights tend to come on just after the damage is done in my opinion, same as oil pressure lights and water temp gauges. BTY, when my redarc water gauge goes from 85 to 91, the OEM gauge doesn't move. I don't want to know the temp just after it's too late so thats why I have installed these redarcs.

Wrong thread I know, but thanks for the response and all the best for christmas and new year. Nothing I can say that is helpful TD, but you have my wishes that it all works out mate.
    Tony AKA 4bye4
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

Plasnart (22nd December 2016), threedogs (22nd December 2016)