Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Electric Blanket for the fuel lines on the Snow Swag Trip comes to mind...... and a Purple Gimp Suit... I still think i imagined that though.
    Funny thing Daz, even with the fuel additive and the heaters, i still experienced jelling issues. After thinking about this I think the issue is my final filtration level is too fine. i run a final stage of 2 micron after a 6 micron initial at the water/fuel seperator near the fuel tanks. I am going to de-rate this final stage to circa 6 micron and see how that goes next time. i am simply looking to provide max protection for the brand new injector pump but maybe the mesh is too small.

I don't know what the purple gimp suit reference is about either - maybe you were on a bender???

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (9th September 2020)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post

I don't know what the purple gimp suit reference is about either - maybe you were on a bender???
    100% i was on a Bender. Great memories Sir. we need to get back out there.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (9th September 2020)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    100% i was on a Bender. Great memories Sir. we need to get back out there.
    Soon as the restrictions lift, lets go. Both thse trips were good ones. i have a slightly extended one in mind also.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (9th September 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you test the sender unit? They should read about 13 ohms at zero PSI. I have heard of wires being too thin - but too thick? Why would that be?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BillsGU For This Useful Post:

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsGU View Post
    Did you test the sender unit? They should read about 13 ohms at zero PSI. I have heard of wires being too thin - but too thick? Why would that be?
    Yes I did test that and 13.1ohms, so ok. Why the max wire dia., has me stumped and in the end, putting in the compliant wire didn't make a difference. Anyway, this one is going into the bin, have just spoken with Namiss in NSW and bought a VDO unit and sender from them, o-500kpa, spoke to the service tech, happy days. Must admit, twice the price of the identical unit off ebay, but I got to discuss what i wanted, what i had problems with, and am sure I will get the right outcome. And, further to your comment regards the wire size, specifically asked the question and they say anything from 1.5-3mm for the sense is absolutely fine, up to 6m distance between sender and gauge, so, i can leave the existing wiring in place, some minor terminal changes and then the wrestle to reinstall the sender and its done, reckon a 2 hr job all up.
    Last edited by PeeBee; 9th September 2020 at 03:02 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep - max wire size makes no sense at all - unless the resistance of the wire was part of the calibration of the gauge. If so - that would be crap - and you are much better off with a more reliable and better designed gauge.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BillsGU For This Useful Post:

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Righto, swapped out the SAAS oil Pressure gauge and sender for a new VDO gauge and sender, and it is fine, registers there is oil pressure when hot and at idle, just like its supposed to. SAAS unit going in the bin.

New pressure pump arrived today for the radiator mist system, all plumbed, just waiting on the nozzles.

Replacement temp sensor and gauge finally arrived - 3 weeks from Sydney. The VDO unit was ordered two days ago and arrived this morning - go figure. Still waiting for my 'warranty return' to reach the sensor people though.
    Last edited by PeeBee; 11th September 2020 at 05:13 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (11th September 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Belated apologies Philstar Mate!
    Yep, when I purchased some SCA - SAAS new age gauges some 5 odd years ago, my auto sparky flat out refused to install them in my then 6.5 new radiator twin thermofan mountain rebuilding works underway.
    Woori Yallock Legend I think I’ve mentioned before puts his own truck through same same as us punishment up there and agreed all I could afford at the time was to stick with old faithful copper mechanical wire for heat and an illegal cheapo oil tube into the cab gauge.
    Oneday I’ll save up too for some VDO elecy goodness as I’ve done all my dosh on Mrs MB’s Redarc flashy/noisey wagon kit :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Belated apologies Philstar Mate!
    Yep, when I purchased some SCA - SAAS new age gauges some 5 odd years ago, my auto sparky flat out refused to install them in my then 6.5 new radiator twin thermofan mountain rebuilding works underway.
    Woori Yallock Legend I think I’ve mentioned before puts his own truck through same same as us punishment up there and agreed all I could afford at the time was to stick with old faithful copper mechanical wire for heat and an illegal cheapo oil tube into the cab gauge.
    Oneday I’ll save up too for some VDO elecy goodness as I’ve done all my dosh on Mrs MB’s Redarc flashy/noisey wagon kit :-)

I should have gone VDO to begin with. The cost differential was about $30, but it cost me 4 hrs of my time to find out I had the wrong gear. I was lucky to stumble across the guys in NSW who are instrument/gauge suppliers, repairers and calibration techs. They confirmed the short comings of the stepper motor design and pedigree and we discussed what else was avail - don't put a cost ceiling on it - just match what I want to the device. We went thru about 5-6 different brands and VDO came up trumps. He never has a warranty issue with them, and they are fitted as OEM with a wide range of suppliers. I won't mention the other brands but basically he steered me away from them for a range of reasons, including on brand that is quite expensive and he has frequent warranty recalls.

I am happy with the quality as have a number of VDO gauges already, Boost/Volt/Fuel Tank and now oil pressure. Happy days moving forward. Tomorrow I will refit the warranty temp set and that completes the instrument side of thigs I think.

By the way, there are 3 levels of quality in the SAAS range. The SCA level, which is the one I initially bought, then a truck Line range and performance range. Whether they offer anything spectacular over the baseline apart from cost I will never find out, but the vendor was keen to upsell me within the SAAS range - errr, no thanks!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (11th September 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I certainly wish they wrote that level of information on the boxes too mate!
    Anyone need some free SAAS guages out there, still dusty in my shed...free to Prado home :-)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (11th September 2020)

Page 41 of 53 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast