Thread: ZD30 loss of power and white smoke

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ZD30 loss of power and white smoke

I hope someone can help - I have a 2005 3lt TD model - engine ZD30. After 100 / 150 km simply shuts down - complete loss of electrics and engine... then after waiting some minutes it starts again but runs very roughly - lots of white smoke / juddering -[fuel or air starvation]. After letting it rest for about an hour, it starts and runs OK again for again 100 + kms. We have changed the injector pump, [and the turbo about 8 months ago]. The diagnostic reading said EGR - I then blocked the EGR inlet as discussed in this forum, checked / cleaned the Airflow meter according to recommendations and its all OK - The car then had an oil / filter / aircleaner service and now it simply has lost all its power - White smoke billows out, juddering, no power etc etc - I have been told that the turbo is overboosting - can one check this ?? [there slight oil leaking from the intercooler] - any ideas what to look at to try to solve this please ? Any advice greatly appreciated

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried another Air flow Metre or checked the condition? Could be gunked up

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also Check for Intercooler hose rips/tears/loose clamps and the intercooler itself for leaks

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    White smoke is unburnt fuel due to low compression
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could possibly be fuel related. Have you checked the fuel primer on the filter when it conks out? Could be leaking air into the system then once left for a bit bubble escapes or sorts itself out somehow till it loses prime again . . . Might not it be but worth check'n I reckon. . .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,263 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Compression test would be the first thing I'd do here.... Maybe run a diagnostic reader via the consult port aswell. By pass the fuel filter too. A mate of mine, who is a member here, had some sort of issue like this and his issue ended up being the fuel filter head. He only found this by bypassing the fuel filter.
    Last edited by mudski; 15th February 2018 at 08:39 PM.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies
    we checked and cleaned airflow meter [all voltages OK according to the recommended post earlier] , cleaned and checked intercooler and hoses , compression test was OK - 22 to 26 on all cyclinders, replaced the filter unit [it improved by bypassing (turning upside down) but then problem persisted after a while - now I have been informed it may be the turbo ? I will continue checking.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had Turbo checked - its performing at +- 70 % efficiency
    Compression test yield is Cyl 1 @ 22.5,
    2 @ 22,
    3@ 23.5,
    4 @ 24
    so a little lower than recommended but this does not warrant the white smoke and complete loss of power ?
    Has anyone have sage advise on the injector - its a recently overhauled one we fitted, but I am thinking it is faulty - what do we check as this has an electronic element as well .
    Head and rotor and seals / pump cannot be found in South Africa - we must order it in, but is it worthwhile servicing the injector myself - what must I look out for ?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 3,231 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bumping thread for @MarkS as his last post went into moderation
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.