Thread: another clutch job

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

another clutch job

Well its time to take to the tools and replace the clutch on the old GQ (1992) and yep they be big and heavy units but as I'm a old age pensioner its up to me to do the work
    I've done a few tojo's and car clutches in my time so not all that new to it but any tips other than whats been posted here by bloodyaussie in 2010 will be handy. I've stripped most of the gear off and doing the starter and clutch slave in the morning then pretty much ready to unbolt the tranny. Replacing it with a heavy duty unit
    the old bloke I got it from tended to ride the clutch and replaced it before but same problem. Shoulda got an auto lol.
    Pete

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i should of moved the fork pivot out a touch when i put in the heavy duty exedy... if the master is old be prepared to change that and maybe the slave as well. i manged to blow the master. rear main seal might be a good idea.
    the gearbox is heavy i got 3 other guys to drop and fit it with a hoist, made it fairly easy.
    if its worth doin its worth over doin

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi where are you ?
    I have a trans jack that helped me no end with the box in my GU .
    You can take it on a holiday I am in Canberra

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the offer Tip but I'm in the middle of SA . The slave, master and main bearing was done last time he put a new clutch in 14 months ago. Both his new vehicles are autos so he should be right now. I'll let yo all know how Iget on.
    Pete

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well got it all unbolted and ready to take out but it has me beat for now. Also need to ask is does the flywheel need to be replaced as well or can it be used again with the new clutch?
    Pete?

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just get the flywheel ground !
    be careful they are very heavy . make you have some help and the Ambulance on speed dial !!

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,260 Times in 6,426 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete49 View Post
    Well got it all unbolted and ready to take out but it has me beat for now. Also need to ask is does the flywheel need to be replaced as well or can it be used again with the new clutch?
    Pete?
    I used an engine crane with a sling through the trans tunnel via the passenger door when I did mine. If you dont machine the flywheel you will void warranty on the clutch.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the help fellas. after trying yesterday with my mate I called it quits and its going to a friends workshop next week to pull the box, do the clutch and replace it. As I've stripped it down he reckons 1 or 2 hrs to do it them I'll put all the gear back on. He laughed when I told him what we tried and the cheeky barsteward said 'its to much for you old blokes'. But I think he might be right. On a side note the guy (and his wife) I got it from has now gone to auto cars which is just as well I have his service record now and 3 replaced clutches in 10 years tells you his driving habits and not towing either
    Pete

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    certainly one hard job! I recently changed my auto GQ (1992) to manual. Definitely get the flywheel ground. They take the hot spots and burs out of it and can die test it for little cracks and can balance it too.

When you bleed the clutch, the hydraulic line has the two bleed points, i find it easiest to bleed the top bleed point first (the one up by the diesel filter) and then bleed it at the slave.

the hardest part is when dropping it out (and putting it back in) you have to roll the entire thing to the passenger side because the big bulb on the bell housing doesn't actually fit past the floor of the body. So you've got to roll it into the trans tunnel so that it will fit out. Maybe that was what you got stuck with?
    1992 Nissan Safari Granroad LWB TD42 after market turbo RE4R03A (for now) 3" straight pipe

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tuckertrucker yep turning it was beyond us. ah well if ya don't try ya don't learn I guess.
    Pete