Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Club 4X4 - Insurance for 4X4 Enthusiasts

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've been meaning to call you guys to take you up on your camper trailer insurance. I managed to get an online quote and it was cheaper than I thought it would be.
    Just need to find the time.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks mate,

Completely understand where your coming from, thats totally fair enough.

I will submit an application for a quote and go from there. Looking forward to seeing what Club 4x4 can offer.

Ps this has been my most interesting conversation about insurance to date! (not hard to understand why lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Club 4x4 View Post
    Elz,

No problem.

Regarding the fuel contamination, yes the first step would be to provide some sort of proof that fuel was purchased from the given outlet. The next step will be to ascertain that the damage is actually as a result of fuel contamination. This will require assessment by a mechanic and our own engineers.

With reference to your hypothetical questions - i can understand exactly what you're asking and what you're after.

I need to be very careful however in the way that i answer these Elz as i don't want anyone to get the misconception that we endorse illegal modifications, nor do i want to give the impression that regardless of what one does to a vehicle, legal or not, there will be a provision of coverage regardless of the scenario. Every case is dealt with in it's own merits, but as a general rule as i said in the last post, if it is found that the vehicle was not roadworthy in its modifications and those modifications could have contributed to the incident then it will be a refusal or reduction of acceptance of claim.

The above thoughts are relevant to both your comprehensive vehicle insurance and your off-road recovery cover

hoping this helped.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elz View Post
    Thanks mate,

Completely understand where your coming from, thats totally fair enough.

I will submit an application for a quote and go from there. Looking forward to seeing what Club 4x4 can offer.

Ps this has been my most interesting conversation about insurance to date! (not hard to understand why lol)
    Thanks Elz,

We aren't all cardigan wearers after all

mate you can get a quote online (just be mindful if the vehicle is heavily modified it will require call centre intervention) or simply call us on 1800 CLUB 4X4 - 9-5 AEST (for the moment)

Cheers

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Elz,

Having worked for an insurance company for over 35 years I have become aware of some 4WD claim refusals. One of the most common 4WD claims refusals was legal tyre sizes. One in particular comes to mind of an older 4WD ( GQ I think ) with 35inch tyres, which was hit from behind at a set of lights by a prime mover. The damage to the 4WD was extensive enough to right it off. This claim was refused because it was considered "an un-roadworthy vehicle, fitted with illegal sized tyres", and therefor should not have been driven on the road.
    I far as I remember at that time, after it went to court, the damage claim was never paid on the 4WD and the prime mover's insurance was chasing the 4WD owner for the recovery of the funds they paid out.
    My point is this ..... no insurance company is your friend, and if an insurance company do'nt pay out and the whole thing goes to court, if your 4WD is illegal in any way.... you will lose.
    2014 Titanium Y61 with all the fruit ................

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bazzaboy For This Useful Post:

juzzs8 (6th September 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Morning all,

Firstly, Bazza - some interesting points made there from someone experienced in the game. I guess it just pays to ensure your vehicle is legal - from a policing standpoint and insurance too.

Secondly, i am on the lookout for a stock GU to use in our upcoming marketing campaigns. It has to be stock, in particular, with no front bar, and most preferably white.

Hoping for a later model one 2010 onwards. A $100 cash card to whoever gets selected.

Show me what you've got guys - some full front shots would be great.

Cheers

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Bazza,

Really interesting to get insight from someone with relevant industry experience.

You have reaffirmed my thought process on these matters. Mainly that any insurance company will look for "outs" in the event that they are faced with a claim. Its fair enough i guess, its a business after all.

I would love to hear from anyone who has experienced the other side of the coin, i.e having a claim paid out with "illegal mods" fitted. Interested in tires, bigger lifts, anything really, even EGR blanking plates!
    Direct experience please, not the classic, my mates, sisters, friend knows a guy who....

On another note,

I did get a quote form Club 4x4, but i find it ridiculously exorbitant. $51k agreed value, $1950 per year with $650 excess...

I've aware of the "many factors" used to arrive at these figures (although I think insurance company's like to hide behind these to avoid giving explanations for their prices).

Extra info for those interested, I am in the 30+ age bracket, have a clean driving record and have no insurance claims to my name (except one windscreen replacement due to a stone chip caused by a passing truck). The vehicle is kept off the street in a good area in Melbourne. Its also not my daily driver so is only used when I go on trips.

I will be going some more shopping around.

Quote Originally Posted by bazzaboy View Post
    Elz,

Having worked for an insurance company for over 35 years I have become aware of some 4WD claim refusals. One of the most common 4WD claims refusals was legal tyre sizes. One in particular comes to mind of an older 4WD ( GQ I think ) with 35inch tyres, which was hit from behind at a set of lights by a prime mover. The damage to the 4WD was extensive enough to right it off. This claim was refused because it was considered "an un-roadworthy vehicle, fitted with illegal sized tyres", and therefor should not have been driven on the road.
    I far as I remember at that time, after it went to court, the damage claim was never paid on the 4WD and the prime mover's insurance was chasing the 4WD owner for the recovery of the funds they paid out.
    My point is this ..... no insurance company is your friend, and if an insurance company do'nt pay out and the whole thing goes to court, if your 4WD is illegal in any way.... you will lose.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Elz For This Useful Post:

juzzs8 (6th September 2016)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, many people get into the habit of just renewing their policies every year without checking other company's prices. I too was guilty of it for a while. In my opinion there is no such thing as company loyalty, they don't care about you, only your money. It was different many years ago when there wasn't as many companies offering car insurance. That is the nature of the business now. We now have phone companies and supermarkets selling insurance in a limited market. There is only a certain amount of people in Australia buying car, property, or life insurance, that's why many insurance companies, specially the big ones, are now relocating their main offices or new start subsidiary offices in the Asian countries where there are many more people, opportunities, and money. I also predict that within the next few years, many insurance policies will only be available on-line as this minimizes their costs.

Knowing all this , you need to look and all the available options in Australia and overseas. Last year I was insured by Barkleys in the UK, via an Australian broker. I took their agreed value policy with a agreed higher excess. This suited me and was the cheapest policy I'd had in years. It cost me about $650 per year with a $2,000 excess for $55,000. I have never had a claim that was my fault and had to pay the excess.
    This may not suit you but you need to make the time to check all options. I find brokers are good value as they work for you and get paid by the company they sell you on.
    All this can be time consuming but you can save hundreds of dollars if you look.

Now it's my turn to do the same ..... my insurance is coming due soon.
    2014 Titanium Y61 with all the fruit ................

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bazzaboy For This Useful Post:

Club 4x4 (7th September 2016), juzzs8 (6th September 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elz View Post
    Thanks Bazza,

Really interesting to get insight from someone with relevant industry experience.

You have reaffirmed my thought process on these matters. Mainly that any insurance company will look for "outs" in the event that they are faced with a claim. Its fair enough i guess, its a business after all.

I would love to hear from anyone who has experienced the other side of the coin, i.e having a claim paid out with "illegal mods" fitted. Interested in tires, bigger lifts, anything really, even EGR blanking plates!
    Direct experience please, not the classic, my mates, sisters, friend knows a guy who....

On another note,

I did get a quote form Club 4x4, but i find it ridiculously exorbitant. $51k agreed value, $1950 per year with $650 excess...

I've aware of the "many factors" used to arrive at these figures (although I think insurance company's like to hide behind these to avoid giving explanations for their prices).

Extra info for those interested, I am in the 30+ age bracket, have a clean driving record and have no insurance claims to my name (except one windscreen replacement due to a stone chip caused by a passing truck). The vehicle is kept off the street in a good area in Melbourne. Its also not my daily driver so is only used when I go on trips.

I will be going some more shopping around.
    Gday Elz,

Really sorry that we couldn't give you an appropriate solution for your needs. Each persons' scenario is slightly different, but these differences can translate into larger differentials in the quote at the end.

Hopefully you can find the right solution for your needs but please do try us again next year.

Kal

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bazzaboy View Post
    Unfortunately, many people get into the habit of just renewing their policies every year without checking other company's prices. I too was guilty of it for a while. In my opinion there is no such thing as company loyalty, they don't care about you, only your money. It was different many years ago when there wasn't as many companies offering car insurance. That is the nature of the business now. We now have phone companies and supermarkets selling insurance in a limited market. There is only a certain amount of people in Australia buying car, property, or life insurance, that's why many insurance companies, specially the big ones, are now relocating their main offices or new start subsidiary offices in the Asian countries where there are many more people, opportunities, and money. I also predict that within the next few years, many insurance policies will only be available on-line as this minimizes their costs.

Knowing all this , you need to look and all the available options in Australia and overseas. Last year I was insured by Barkleys in the UK, via an Australian broker. I took their agreed value policy with a agreed higher excess. This suited me and was the cheapest policy I'd had in years. It cost me about $650 per year with a $2,000 excess for $55,000. I have never had a claim that was my fault and had to pay the excess.
    This may not suit you but you need to make the time to check all options. I find brokers are good value as they work for you and get paid by the company they sell you on.
    All this can be time consuming but you can save hundreds of dollars if you look.

Now it's my turn to do the same ..... my insurance is coming due soon.
    G'day Bazza,

I completely respect your views here and appreciate you calling them out.

A few things that i will call out from my own experience working with mainstream, but also with enthusiast insurance brands over my short 20 or so years.

Many people truly don't understand what they are or not covered for. Now i'm not disputing the fact that reading through these documents is about as exciting as watching paint dry (and i've done that for a crust in my time too!), but i believe that the market, including insurance providers, aggregators and finally customers have created a focus so intent on driving down price that this becomes the sole criteria when shopping. You've expressed this in the first line of your response, so for you, price is the most important factor and this is absolutely fine.

Many people have a view of insurers and their intent to always minimise costs but i wonder how many times a claim has been refused and it's actually as a result of the policyholder not adequately understanding their coverage and their responsibilities when taking a policy out. Things like the duty of disclosure (the spiel you'll hear or read before every insurance quote) call out these responsibilities. When you're so focused on getting the price to move to the next insurer, how could you expect to actually absorb that sort of information, or read that question in the quote appropriately? I'm a customer too and i will say, you wont! You will dash through, it write down the premium and make the next call.

As enthusiasts, looking for enthusiast cover, the process of understanding what you're covered for is all the more important. Combine that with a brand new player like us, where the coverage cannot be replicated elsewhere, your need to fully understand is compounded again.

My message here is that yes, price is important. But, there should always be a balance where you understand the coverage as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 911 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you guys should be paying me commission 4 customers signed up with you guys from my efforts and I think another just moved his camper trailer across

That's just directly I think a few more have signed up through them also...

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by lucus30; 7th September 2016 at 10:57 AM.
    Lucus30's 1999 GU ST TB45E

15. The Following User Says Thank You to lucus30 For This Useful Post:

Club 4x4 (7th September 2016)

Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast