OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: gq td42 no accesorys or ignition.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i cleaned the glow plug relay that helped a bit some accessory work now but still dies when i turn it on and put the headlights on.
    only had the car for 5 month and never been near a beach old owner was a farm ute before me.
    i used contact cleaner and that cleaned it up well.
    it been raining heavy the past 2 days but i dont see how any of that can get into the relays and stuff.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey mate, all those things, starter, glows and headlights are high current draw items. That sounds more and more like a corrosion / high resistance earth problem to me. There is almost certainly a loose or corroded join or joints somewhere. Check your battery terminals for tightness and good contact. It is possible but not probable that the battery itself is high resistance internally. @Yendor, have you got any input mate?
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

Belvo (26th April 2017)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4bye4 View Post
    Hey mate, all those things, starter, glows and headlights are high current draw items. That sounds more and more like a corrosion / high resistance earth problem to me. There is almost certainly a loose or corroded join or joints somewhere. Check your battery terminals for tightness and good contact. It is possible but not probable that the battery itself is high resistance internally. @Yendor, have you got any input mate?
    I think you have it pretty well covered. It sounds like either dirty battery terminals, stuffed battery or a high resistance in the main earth from the battery to the body.

The only thing that's not real clear is, had any of the main fuses blown?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yendor For This Useful Post:

4bye4 (26th April 2017), Belvo (26th April 2017)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the fuses seem fine.
    I'll give it a good cleaning tomorrow and go over all the connections that should fix the issue it seem.
    Just don't understand how it happens out of the blue like this?
    When you say high resistance what does that mean?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    All conductors are used because they have a low resistance to the flow of electrons (amps) through them when volts are applied.

A high resistance joint resists this flow and can cause a "voltage drop" across it.

The voltage drop "takes away" a portion of the voltage applied to the components in the circuit. They can't operate correctly and present some of the signs you have already described.

As the current flows, the electrons are forced through the joint and heat is the result. Sometimes there can be excessive heat which can cause major problems.

High resistance can be caused by the joint surfaces being dirty or corroded, loose the fasteners, carbon coating (from heat), dry / cracked solder, squashed or partially cut conductors and/ or a combination of any of these.

The point where the conductors enter the lugs or terminals can also be loose, or corroded.

There is more to it, but these are just some basic causes of high resistance in a circuit.
    Last edited by mudnut; 26th April 2017 at 11:52 PM.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (27th April 2017)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help guys hooked a jumper lead from the the neg on battery to the motor.
    Then it fired up so the earth was a bit stuffed it was all covered in white crap and had some loose stands so cut the cable back and re did it connected it all up and it's good as new now.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Belvo For This Useful Post:

AB (27th April 2017), Clunk (27th April 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good to hear mate I will PM my address and you can send cash. LOL
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

Yendor (28th April 2017)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12