Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding gas plumbing to a camper trailer

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adding gas plumbing to a camper trailer

Looking for advice, images etc. about connecting gas plumbing to a camper trailer.
    Is copper pipe the way to go? Silver solder the connections.
    My intention is to have a bayonet fitted at the front near the gas bottles and another at the rear, next to the slide out stove.
    As I lay there looking up, taking in the spectacular view that was the night sky and the multitude of stars I asked myself, where did my tent go?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Defietely copper, silver soldered and saddles everywhere
    might want to wrapt some elect tape where the sabble go
    use gal or coated saddled stainless or alloy pop rivets
    2%siver solder should be fine and easier to use,
    need pics wnen finished, krrp cooper well tucked up so it
    cant get caught up on anything. what size copper are you running 1/2"
    or 3/4" ?????
    Last edited by threedogs; 9th February 2019 at 07:56 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Defietely copper, silver soldered and saddles everywhere
    might want to wrapt some elect tape where the sabble go
    use gal or coated saddled stainless or alloy pop rivets
    2%siver solder should be fine and easier to use,
    need pics wnen finished, krrp cooper well tucked up so it
    cant get caught up on anything. what size copper are you running 1/2"
    or 3/4" ?????
    Thanks for the input TD.
    I will run the tube along the chassis rail so it should be tucked away from danger.
    Once I get the trailer in my possession I will get under and have a good look at options.
    1/2 will be enough for the stove but I want to leave an option for gas hot water in the future so maybe 3/4 as I believe you have to have enough supply for each appliance connected.
    This is all part of our preparation to do the Lap.
    Pictures will be forthcoming.
    As I lay there looking up, taking in the spectacular view that was the night sky and the multitude of stars I asked myself, where did my tent go?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have never seen 3/4" copper in an RV situation, suspecy it would be overkill.
    My preference is for stainless braided hose, but there are regulations about in what circumstance you can or should use fixed or flexible pipes. Suggest you may need to get a gas installation to more than a single appliance signed off with a gas certificate to be legal,& covered by insurance, so seek advice from a gasfitter who knows RV regs first. (Try your local caravan repair joint) OR only run a bottle to a single appliance using a braided gas hose.You could have a bottle for each appliance & run a separate braided hose to each & be legal & not need a gas certificate.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

0-TJ-0 (10th February 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good advice Cuppa.

This is all part of our preparation for the Lap and I am learning on the run.
    I have 2 bottle holders on the trailer so 1 to each would be doable.
    I am not even sure we will go with the solar water.

A local gas fitter quoted 450 - 500 to install. This may well be worth it to keep the insurers happy.
    He said the bayonets are $150 each x 2, so his labour was cheap I guess.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a reason why gas fitters are licenced and they are held accountable to the law for compliance with the codes and regs - go the licenced path with gas would be my recommendation, but by all means have a system sketched out regards functionality for him in advance so you ensure you get what you want and its a safe system, built for purpose. I would have thought 3/8" would be about as big as you would want as gas pressures are a lot higher than say water as an example. And certainly get it well mechanically protected from stones and debris, some the gas fitter can do and some you can afterwards.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Mc4by (10th February 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mc4by View Post
    Good advice Cuppa.

This is all part of our preparation for the Lap and I am learning on the run.
    I have 2 bottle holders on the trailer so 1 to each would be doable.
    I am not even sure we will go with the solar water.

A local gas fitter quoted 450 - 500 to install. This may well be worth it to keep the insurers happy.
    He said the bayonets are $150 each x 2, so his labour was cheap I guess.
    No brainer IMHO... and not a bad price... have something go wrong with an un-certified install in a camp ground or national park or whatever and your looking at liability about the same size as the national debt and your insurer will bail so fast he'll be further away than Ghandis first shit.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Mc4by (10th February 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good advice on the install and using a certified gas fitter.
    I want to design the setup and source the pieces to ensure the best price possible.
    I like the suggestion of protecting the install after the fitter has done his work @PeeBee

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $150 for a bayonet sounds an awful lot, but may be in the ball park if it includes pipework etc. https://www.northernrv.com.au/produc...t-gas-bayonet/

You could save quite a bit by having just one bayonet, & just plugging in one or the other appliance at a time.

FWIW when I fitted out our bus I ran the gas lines myself, including making holes in bodywork, protecting them with grommets etc & securing the lines with brackets & then took it to a gasfitter to connect to bottle reg & appliance. Saved a fair bit by doing so. (Did the same with 240v electrics too). Just have to find a gasfitter willing to do this, some wont want a bar of it, & others will be happy not to have to do the 'shit' part of the job.

With camper trailers the rules & regs are different if cooking is outside to a caravan or motorhome where cooking is inside. Many gasfitters will not be familiar with the RV specific rules & you pay for their time to look them up & then because they are not sure they can go overboard at your expense to make sure they have covered their arse. I our bus the chap insisted I had to get a permanent sticker made saying something about curtains must be tied back when using stove, even though there were no curtains in the location. This is why I suggested going to a local caravan repair place, they will either employ a gasfitter or subby out to a gasfitter who will be familiar with RV rules & regs.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    $150 for a bayonet sounds an awful lot, but may be in the ball park if it includes pipework etc. https://www.northernrv.com.au/produc...t-gas-bayonet/

You could save quite a bit by having just one bayonet, & just plugging in one or the other appliance at a time.

FWIW when I fitted out our bus I ran the gas lines myself, including making holes in bodywork, protecting them with grommets etc & securing the lines with brackets & then took it to a gasfitter to connect to bottle reg & appliance. Saved a fair bit by doing so. (Did the same with 240v electrics too). Just have to find a gasfitter willing to do this, some wont want a bar of it, & others will be happy not to have to do the 'shit' part of the job.

With camper trailers the rules & regs are different if cooking is outside to a caravan or motorhome where cooking is inside. Many gasfitters will not be familiar with the RV specific rules & you pay for their time to look them up & then because they are not sure they can go overboard at your expense to make sure they have covered their arse. I our bus the chap insisted I had to get a permanent sticker made saying something about curtains must be tied back when using stove, even though there were no curtains in the location. This is why I suggested going to a local caravan repair place, they will either employ a gasfitter or subby out to a gasfitter who will be familiar with RV rules & regs.
    @Cuppa great idea about doing the layout myself and paying just for the soldering. A nice cashy or carton might get it done.
    The link is helpful and I do believe the cost was bayonet fitted. Then the small cost of the tubing.
    I will update asap. Get the trailer next week I hope and gassed soon after.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast