Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fail to start.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Fail to start.

Hi all, over the last few months my 6.5 chevy diesel has been struggling to start when hot. 1st thing in the morning it fires up straight away or even after standing for around 20 to 30 mins, but if I stop to put fuel or try to start within 15 to 20 min it won't start. like no fuel going through to the injector pump. does any one think it could be starter related, or maybe cut off solenoid.
    Thanks in advance.
    Colin.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brooks View Post
    Hi all, over the last few months my 6.5 chevy diesel has been struggling to start when hot. 1st thing in the morning it fires up straight away or even after standing for around 20 to 30 mins, but if I stop to put fuel or try to start within 15 to 20 min it won't start. like no fuel going through to the injector pump. does any one think it could be starter related, or maybe cut off solenoid.
    Thanks in advance.
    Colin.
    Any chance its vapourising in the fuel line. Heat from the engine when you stop rising and turning the fuel in the line to vapour. Once it cools down its ok again. Try wrapping or insulating your fuel line in the engine bay. We used to get this a lot when we were racing cars. Usually because we had fuel line above or too close to extractors. Wrap, insulate or move used to fix it.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just reread that, probably not in a diesel. Possible I suppose but not likely. I just read the symptoms and jumped in. Sorry.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

brooks (16th February 2017)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,732 Times in 2,682 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The chev should have a lift pump between the fuel tank and injector pump, probably mounted on the inside of the chassis rail. Is this running - you should be able to hear a 'tap tap tap' sound. This might get hot and stop. Is your a turbo or N/A? I have the n/a and the pump is on the drivers side away from the exhaust - unsure what the turbo exhaust route is? The lift pump would also struggle if the tank breather was blocked and it was pulling a vacuum on the tank. I had a problem with a partially blocked fuel line also that killed the motor under power, have you checked the inline filters? There should be one before the lift pump, then you have the main fuel filter. Does it just crank and not fire or try to start and stop straight away?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

brooks (16th February 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,321 Times in 4,990 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Brooks, the yanky forum sites for 6.5s seem to talk a lot about their PMD's overheating. They all seem to buy an aftermarket Pump Mounted Driver relocation kit. Just google up words like above and see if their symptoms match what you're experiencing maybe?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

brooks (16th February 2017), PeeBee (15th February 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks in advance.
    Colin.
    Could be the pmd but sounds very much like the ip is worn out. The pmd if your has one is cheap enough to replace and relocation kits are easy to source. If its a brunswick conversion it is unlikely it will have a pmd as they seemed to be scared of electronics.

Either way buy the parts out of the states last time I quoted to get a 6.5 chev pump done over here was in the range of 3500 supply only.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

brooks (16th February 2017), MB (15th February 2017), PeeBee (15th February 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is N/A, it is fine when running, just cranks & won't fire when hot, as soon as it cools cranks a few times & starts. i might try to change the filters & will check the lift pump.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please expand PMD, do you mean injector pump is mechanical. yes it is a brunswick conv.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,321 Times in 4,990 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As the blokes above suggest no doubt your lift pump/fuel line area so please disregard my yanky suggestion. Mine's an NA tractor with no PMD too done by GTS Bunbury, so probably same as Brunswick like Nissannewby suggests. The pumps are up so high on these things that fuel lift is critical I believe, not sure of the psi required but I think I read somewhere in the vicinity of 8psi and flow rate unsure of but could be wrong there too. The electric drivers PMD were apparently poorly design placed directly on top of the pump in the hope of incoming fuel to cool them which going by the wave of yanky youtube vids and forum discussions must have been terrible.
    This blokes symptoms and quick fix for an example:
    https://youtu.be/dC469cTqGg8

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

brooks (17th February 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Please expand PMD, do you mean injector pump is mechanical. yes it is a brunswick conv.
    Yeah I'd say the ip has had it mate. See when you stop and due to the location of the pump on these they heat soak like no tomorrow and with it being worn already the extra heat throws all the clearances out and you dont get any fuel out to the injectors.

What I can suggest until you get a replacement is carry a good amount of water with you. So when you stop to refuel etc pour a heap of cool water over the ip and it will start easier. This is only a very temporary thing though.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

brooks (17th February 2017), MB (16th February 2017)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast