Thread: Upgrading Towball Weight.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Upgrading Towball Weight.

G'day, all. I have recently learned that the GQ has a towball weight of 120kg (not verified, yet).

I have spoken to a few engineers about upgrading that weight, with varying results.

One even suggested that as I am not upgrading GCM, bolting on a higher rated towball would suffice.

I have a Genuine Nissan tow bar which is only rated a 2270kg. This is higher than the van I hope to get, but I will upgrade to a Hayman Reese because of the recovery factor, and the bar new has a 350kg down weight.

My questions are: Does anyone know where to find the official towball weight of a GQ.

Has anyone upgraded the towball weight on a GQ.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think there is an official towball weight. There will however be a max weight of what can be towed.

I stand to be corrected, but I think the person who told you that bolting on a higher rated tow bar (the complete frame - not just the tongue & towball) is correct. My tow bar frame has a compliance plate with maximum weight on it- genuine Nissan) . Provided that the towball weight does not take the weight of the car above it's GVM,( It is included in the GVM along with everything else) & the rear axle weight remains with it's load limit , & the total weight of car & van is within the GCM , and the van's weight is below what Nissan state can be towed by your vehicle all will be fine.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

mudnut (11th March 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wot Cuppa said X2... I've not seen a towball download figure in any vehicle specs only tow bar specs (might be one for a Patrol but if there is I've never seen or heard of it)

Towing loads are sorta like recovery equipment IE lowest rating in "chain" is the limit so whatever of the following considerations you hit first will determine the limit:-
    Tyre Load Rating
    Rear Axle Load Rating (and front if using WDH)
    GVM
    Towbar load rating
    GCM
    Vehicle Manuf Max Tow capacity rating
    Tow Hitch rating
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

mudnut (11th March 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    After visiting Vicroads, answer: Due to liability issues, we can't advise on that. Talk to Nissan.

Nissan, answer: Towing weight is 2800kg, not sure on towball weight. Consult the owners manual. (But the Carsales comparison chart states 2500kg braked for an RB30)

RACV, answer: Gross Combined Mass is 5300 kg for that model.

Reasonable assumption of 10% rule applies then I should get 280 kgs but the Nissan towbars states 2270kg, thus 227 kg down force.

The CrossTrak I am considering is only 1534kg Tare and 159kg ball weight.

With a winch fitted, My Kerb weight is around 2000- 2100 kg. (I weighed it at 2200 with the 2" lift, which has been removed).

That gives me 3653kg, so there is heaps left to play with.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mudnut; 11th March 2020 at 03:29 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (11th March 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wow your car is very lite mate!! My Gq would be every bit of 3T....
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

mudnut (11th March 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Totally stock, now apart from winch and cradle. And yours is an engineering marvel...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    WTF!!! My vehicle that is rated to tow over 2T and only has a rated towball capacity of 100kg!!!

I called the number and was told the that figure was obtained from an RTA vehicle descriptor site, but I still can't find that info there.

Even a freakin' Jayco JPod has a TB weight of 120kgs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mudnut; 12th March 2020 at 09:56 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it may be time to talk to Hayman Reese?

As I read it, the towbar below won't increase the weight you are allowed to carry or tow with your car, but it will increase the allowed towball weight.

screenshot_338.jpg

screenshot_337.jpg

However if the van you want, once loaded, is up to a similar weight of the car I would question the widsom (& safety) of doing so, regardless of the legalities.
    FWIW it may be worth talking to @jack who has a similar Jayco van, (Single axle explorer now discontinued) which he tows with his later 3 litre GQ. I reckon it is probably a similar weight van but his car has a more powerful motor. Personally I reckon you might be wise to look at something lighter to tow with your vehicle. Another reason to talk to jack is to find out about the quality issues he had with a new jayco, & what he thinks of the Jayco power system. They are a good unit but built to a price, which is ok so long as you are prepared to do a bit of work on a new van. I reckon a used Jayco is probably a better option as chances are the stuff which needs sorting out already has been.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 12th March 2020 at 10:49 AM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    HR said basically the same as above, so I'm screwed, unless I can find a van or camper that suits. I would like to learn what others tow with their Qs.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,239 Times in 641 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    HR said basically the same as above, so I'm screwed, unless I can find a van or camper that suits. I would like to learn what others tow with their Qs.
    Muddy Ol' mate, have a google, Eco-tourer caravan.
    Low towing profile, tare just over 1800kg, ball weight 176 kg. available in a couple of different setups.
    More for Mum, Dad travel than family.
    Expensive even for second hand but seem to hold their resale well.
    See how you go.

Edit..........Added bonus. Drawbar folds up for convenient storage, clever.
    Last edited by Touses; 12th March 2020 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Old n tired
    I AM NOT STUBBORN.........I prefer the term, Singlemindedly independent !

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Touses For This Useful Post:

mudnut (12th March 2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast