Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rhino slide on campers for utes

Hi all
    Considering above camper. They are fibreglass composite and made on NSW Sth coast.
    Was looking at aluminium in previous post but price will be similar when fitted out.
    Has anyone got one or know anyone who has dealt with them?
    Alan seems ok on phone.
    Not to be confused with Rhinomax from Sunshine Coast.
    Cheers
    At the end of the day, all you have is yourself and all you need is your friends (and in our case our Patrol)
    2006 GUI1 4.2TDi Coil Cab "almost" standard

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wizard52 For This Useful Post:

MB (12th February 2021)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,246 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this them @Wizard52 Mate?

https://traytopcampers.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 11,246 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assuming the linky just found is correct mate I must say they’re the first slide on ute campers I’ve ever personally seen that have angled practical tighter track clearance sides
    No idea of their quality obviously but first impressions are that someone appears to have put some decent experienced thought into a comfy yet slightly further deeper trekking slide on camper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've looked longingly at slide on campers a few times. The Tommy Campers look good to me. Thoughtfully designed & well built, but for the 2 of us the bottom line is that no slide-on camper has sufficient storage space, it's just the nature of the beast. So it really depends upon how you want to travel. We love to have extended periods out bush, & enjoy being able to go 4 to 6 weeks between re-stocking which requires more space than I've seen in any slide-on. I would certainly reconsider having one if travelling alone or if we were happy to be restocking far more regularly

Weight is always an issue too. Weights seem reasonable for the Rhino slide-ons, but don't forget there will be plenty of things which will quickly add to that. So do your sums before you start looking to determine how much you have to play with before going over GVM - very easy to do. Winch, bullbar, towbar, heavier suspension, long range tanks, water, solar, batteries recovery gear etc etc before you even start looking at food & clothing & the weight of the slide.

When it's come down to it, when thinking about slide ons, some of which I've really liked, I've always found myself trying to adapt travelling style to suit the slide on rather than the other way round ..... and thus too much of a compromise. However any choice is a compromise & we are all different - horses for courses & all that.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes MB that is the one and Cuppa your comments are spot on as usual.
    They weigh 320kg for the 2.4 and by the time an alloy one is fitted out,weight would be very similar.
    The Rhino would be far more comfortable than my present set up and probably a bit lighter as well. Present setup works well for Fraser and more than adequate for last 5 mth trip to Kimberlys and NT.
    Agree it works best for solo travelers but would be ok for couples for shorter trips of a few weeks etc.
    Like the idea of no canvas or set up with all living, cooking etc outside.
    The awning I have has an insect zip on screen or full enclosed room which only takes a couple of minutes. Never used them in 5 yrs but handy to have in need.
    Decisions, decisions.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bit the bullet and spent some of my son's inheritance.
    Really happy after a week or so on Fraser as every thing just works as it should. A lot of time and effort has gone into the design and subsequent development of the concept.
    The old metal and canvas canopy was heavier as ute now sits about 1 cm higher.
    Very comfortable with all the bells and whistles I need for extended travel in 2023 when overseas travel will be back to normal and the masses will give up on local travel.
    Alan is great to deal with and he even delivered mine and another one on a trailer to us to Texas as we could not go over the border and return due to covid19. He was able to get a freight pass so we met him on Qld side of the border where camper was installed in the park.
    A couple of photos below.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    At the end of the day, all you have is yourself and all you need is your friends (and in our case our Patrol)

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wizard52 For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (5th January 2022), MB (4th January 2022), pearcey (4th January 2022), Touses (4th January 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what are shaping up as top of the list places to visit in 2023 (covid permitting)?

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    So what are shaping up as top of the list places to visit in 2023 (covid permitting)?
    Vague plan is to go to Avalon airshow in March and then just head west. No particular time or place except be back by 1st week in October for trip to Fraser with son and the usual group of derelicts.

Looks like you are in for a bit of weather up on the Cape over next month or so.

cheers

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Wizard52 For This Useful Post:

MB (8th January 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard52 View Post
    Vague plan is to go to Avalon airshow in March and then just head west. No particular time or place except be back by 1st week in October for trip to Fraser with son and the usual group of derelicts.

Looks like you are in for a bit of weather up on the Cape over next month or so.

cheers
    Yep, we got the boat ready & tethered to the house yesterday in case the worst forecast scenario becomes reality. One forecast suggested over 500mm of rain in the Wenlock catchment over 10 days! That'd be us flooded for sure I reckon. They have since dropped it to 300mm, but still a lot. It's gonna get wet, but the question is 'how wet'. One forecast has a low forming, crossing the cape east to west , intensifying to a cyclone in the gulf & crossing above Borroloola & tracking down to tennant Creek. Another forecast says it'll go east toward Vanuatu & Noumea.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

MB (8th January 2022)