Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,741 Times in 2,687 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greeting everyone

My name is Phil and I live in Melbourne South East. I have a 1997 GQ Patrol purchased new with the 2.8TD - biggest mistake I made in hindsight - should have gone the 4.2. Anyway, its over in WA getting a new crate motor from Brunswick Diesel - 6500 Optimiser - should have it back by the end of the month. The vehicle is a garage queen and gets out maybe 4 times a year. Looking forward to learning and sharing in the forums.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,323 Times in 4,992 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Phil, welcome aboard mate!
    Will be great to see another 6.5 locally soon by the sounds of it :-)
    I reckon you being a mechanical engineer will be teaching/advising nuffy's like me in no time mate ;-) !

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MB, thanks for the welcome. I've done a bit to the bus, and probably have 2 or 3 versions of everything sold in the garage, but I can assure you sometimes its a long long route to success! Being an engineer has the downside that you are always challenging something and a lot of the time for no other reason than you think you can do it smarter. Most times, maybe 99.9% someone has already nutted it out and for that reason, just buy it, install it and use it - easy to say but hard for me to follow my own advice! Anyway, I am looking forward to getting the vehicle back. The return is delayed a week now as i decided to install a Nissan PTO drive coupled to the front hydraulic winch pump. Brunswick want the assy first before putting the engine in place to ensure the exhaust clears. Its a 5 day delivery lag Melb to WA, so whilst they can get on with diff ratio changes and tailshafts and wiring, the motor waits until the clearances for the exhaust are validated. I am getting a GVM upgrade in WA, then have to get the Vic Engineers to do their business regards certification.
    I did a search of the forums looking for bonnet scoop installations without success - can you advise a link pls? I am pretty sure the extra 80kw will need venting from the engine bay as hear some stories of cooling issues in summer - again, just being cautious and pro-active I guess.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PBBIZ2 View Post
    MB, thanks for the welcome. I've done a bit to the bus, and probably have 2 or 3 versions of everything sold in the garage, but I can assure you sometimes its a long long route to success! Being an engineer has the downside that you are always challenging something and a lot of the time for no other reason than you think you can do it smarter. Most times, maybe 99.9% someone has already nutted it out and for that reason, just buy it, install it and use it - easy to say but hard for me to follow my own advice! Anyway, I am looking forward to getting the vehicle back. The return is delayed a week now as i decided to install a Nissan PTO drive coupled to the front hydraulic winch pump. Brunswick want the assy first before putting the engine in place to ensure the exhaust clears. Its a 5 day delivery lag Melb to WA, so whilst they can get on with diff ratio changes and tailshafts and wiring, the motor waits until the clearances for the exhaust are validated. I am getting a GVM upgrade in WA, then have to get the Vic Engineers to do their business regards certification.
    I did a search of the forums looking for bonnet scoop installations without success - can you advise a link pls? I am pretty sure the extra 80kw will need venting from the engine bay as hear some stories of cooling issues in summer - again, just being cautious and pro-active I guess.
    Wow PBBIZ2 :-)
    I hear you mate, we do need to practice breathing techniques sometimes. Amazingly most inventions/creations are simultaneously being worked on somewhere around this globe!
    Super intrigued mate about your power take off winch adaptation, very robust concept indeed. It is a fair call from Brunswick as I would imagine keeping hydraulic lines well clear of heat is a top idea, respect :-) !!
    Please do feel free to PM me in regards WA-VIC transfers, may have an idea ;-)
    Bonnet scoops for reverse heat release, I'm far from an expert but did buy some cheap SAAS scoops a while back and had the them baked to matching 531 K. I will get around to installing them one day but recently been told it very well could be illegal, windscreen oil/steam potential apparently:-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MB the info I have is the gem upgrade is nationally recognised but the eng certification for Victoria must be done in Victoria. I have been referred to a guy in Bayswater - Archie I think is his name. He does about 80 of these conversion Cerys per year from Brunswick diesel in vic

Thanks
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "The return is delayed a week now as i decided to install a Nissan PTO drive coupled to the front hydraulic winch pump. Brunswick want the assy first before putting the engine in place to ensure the exhaust clears"

Not to wankerise this thread, but we are departing Melb - WA sparrows fart Monday morning. Happy to collect what's needed over this weekend and drop off Monday in Perth metro? I believe we have one spare 32kg baggage allowance so happy for us to get hard yakka cattle class points/moneys worth ;-)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MB, many thanks for the offer, however I needed to get the parts there urgently so sent them TOLL express yesterday - $150! Anyway, based on my conversation with Brunswick late yesterday, whilst they say it will hold them up, I think its a minor delay in reality as there are plenty of other tasks that can be executed in advance. Really appreciate the focus and help. The additional delay will give me more time to find the floor of the garage thats currently disappeared under the mountain of crap I removed from the car before sending it across to WA - probably a blesing in disguise as the pile is greater than I have room to spare at the moment. Are you heading to WA on work or pleasure?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hi mate and welcome to the forum , there is a bit written about how to remove heat from the engine bay
    You might want to start another thread as this is just your intro,
    I run a turbo beanie to keep my aux battery cooler some lift the back of the bonnet, not sure how legal that is.
    others have fitted vents to the bonnet to allow heat to escape , any way enjoy
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 994 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum mate.
    In the words of a Dhuck "QUACK".

Thanks
    Thanked 20,772 Times in 8,582 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum mate, feel free to ask any questions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast